Re: Bread
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:49 pm »
So that's where I went wrong.  ;D

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 06:48:06 pm »
So that's where I went wrong.  ;D

Lol ;D  Me to but I learnt the error of my bread making ways. ::) Sort of....

The bread maker challenge:
On a 2lb loaf how many slices can you get from it? And how?
E.g I can get 14 good slices with my electric knife, 10 assorted sizes slicing free hand :D And 25 wafer thin if I used the meat / bread slices (which are useless for sandwiches :roflanim:
What about you?

Tried to load a photograph as evidence, but the image is too large and no idea how to make it smaller. :eyelashes:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 11:50:03 pm »
So do you think 6 slices means they are too big?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 01:43:16 am »
Definitely Panasonic for me too.  We've had ours for yonks and it's still going strong  :fc:   Previously had a Henry (Hinari) but it got a hole in its bucket.
I still have the old recipes but I use only 1/2 teasp salt and 1 teasp sugar per XL loaf.  What does the new recipe recommend for 21 oz flour?

I tempted fate when I wrote that.  My trusty ancient Panasonic presented us with a brick yesterday morning - the motor had gone.  My new one arrived today - amazing service from Co-op.  I got the Panasonic SD-ZB 2502 BXC which has diamond non-stick - woohoo 8)  and a stainless steel body - my last one was white.
I just put my first loaf to bake in it.........hope it turns out ok   :hungry:

It does include a recipe for gluten free bread although I make normal bread with 70% wholemeal flour/30% white or grainy.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 09:53:03 pm »
It had to go at some time, FW. Glad you managed to get a replacement so quickly. How was the bread?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:45 am »

I tempted fate when I wrote that.  My trusty ancient Panasonic presented us with a brick yesterday morning - the motor had gone.  My new one arrived today - amazing service from Co-op.  I got the Panasonic SD-ZB 2502 BXC which has diamond non-stick - woohoo 8)  and a stainless steel body - my last one was white.
I just put my first loaf to bake in it.........hope it turns out ok   :hungry:

It does include a recipe for gluten free bread although I make normal bread with 70% wholemeal flour/30% white or grainy.

Mine hasn't arrived yet  :-\  But I think that's the same one, dying to get started, I suppose I could go out and buy the flour etc.
Anne

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:42 pm »
It had to go at some time, FW. Glad you managed to get a replacement so quickly. How was the bread?

Scrumpshlicious  :yum:  but incredibly tall.  Think I'll just revert to my old recipe amounts.  I can make some more tonight as we've eaten all that one (imagine a fat icon  ;D)  The hens and pet Soays did get their little share too.

Daisy's mum - hope yours arrives soon  :fc:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:47:23 pm by Fleecewife »

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 06:26:41 pm »
Go and buy the flour, Daisy's mum  :)  Then your ready to rock and roll.  Plus the brand new packet of butter..... :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 08:52:36 pm »
Don't forget the yeast.

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 10:49:22 pm »
I think I must be the only person who doesn't like bread from the breadmaker, and yes it is a Panasonic

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 06:34:31 am »
Well after reading the beginning of this thread I have bought a Panasonic.  I have been up since half five waiting for it to come out!  I set the timer for 8am to make sure I was up (i sometimes have a lie in til 8 on a Saturday.  :innocent:

1 hour 27 mins to go  :fc: 

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 06:45:50 am »
I think I must be the only person who doesn't like bread from the breadmaker, and yes it is a Panasonic

Oh no you're not. I really don't like bread from the bread maker either. I make all mine by hand. It's good excercise and tastes so much better and is less dense.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 11:42:51 am »
Usually you need to play around with the proportions in the breadmaker a bit before settling on the best results.  The amount of water has to be measured very accurately, much more so than with handmade loaves.  I made my bread by hand for very many years but initially switched to a breadmaker because my house is too cold to find somewhere good to set it to rise.
I have also played around with the proportions of flours used and the make of the flour.  My current favourite is 70% Marriages wholemeal plus 30% Wessex six seeded.  The little bit of whiteish flour helps the texture, but it doesn't need to be as much as 30%.  I often replace an ounce of the white with Einkhorn which gives a nice nutty flavour - any more and the result is too dense.
Using 1/8 teasp of Vit C powder helps too, but not for the purist I suppose.

How's the loaf Herdygirl?

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 11:53:18 am »
Nothing beats the smell of bread baking when you wake up on a cold winter's morning.  :)  hey herdy girl???

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 01:49:02 pm »
First loaf cooling now, have to say it doesn't look to impressive here's hoping it tastes ok!  :fc:
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS