Re: Bread
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 07:35:54 pm »
Wow that is a unanimous vote for the Panasonic  :trophy: :thumbsup:
Thanks for that

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:19:51 pm »
Bread makers one of the best kitchen gadgets ever..... especially if you have one with a timer, we are on our third!  Confused me when our lastest one went from using butter to oil!  I bought some mini hovis tins of ebay and make the dough then put it into the tins, let it rise, bake and mini rolls to go with soup.  Or I make mini garlic bread.  Pizza dough is also a firm favourite.  By default from a relative we got a bread / meat slicer, so I tend to use the breadmaker all day can do about 4 to 6 loaves, then OH slices them on the machine, they get bagged up and into the freezer.  The reason behind this is because, the fresh bread is gorgeous, but is also a weight putter on er! :-[  Especially when 'I'll just have another slice...'

Invest in a good bread making recipe book and go for it.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 11:01:10 pm »
Mine's a Morphy Richards just to be different. I've no complaints about it except for the gluten free bread. The book suggests a certain make of flour which I can't get but I can't see that it would make any difference so long as it was bread flour which I do use.

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 12:04:22 pm »
Ah, so it IS (theoretically) possible to make gluten free bread in a breadmaker? I love my Panasonic but I appear to have become gluten intolerant.  :gloomy:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »
Yes,  you can. You just need a gluten free recipe and you can find one on the back of Doves Farm gluten free bread flour.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 07:23:01 pm »
Me too I had the Panasonic 2501 for a year now, and wondering why I didn't get one sooner!
I like making bread by hand but then only egt arund it twice a year, and with the machine I make a loaf every other day and it's perfect.
I particularly like dark rye bread, which is impossible to find now that we moved out here (and was hideously expensive to buy in London) and that particular Panasonic model is one of the few that do rye bread!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 08:09:58 pm »
I have a Prima breadmaker , and use it all the time .
I make bread , cakes and have made jam in it .
I have made rye bread in mine , don't they all ?
I do by a sliced hovis best of both for toast , but i mainly buy Wrights bread mix . I get the mixed grain one ; wheat flour , kibbled malted wheat , oat flakes , rye flour , malt flour ( wheat and barley ) , golden linseed , kibbled rye , poppy seed , browm linseed , sunflower seed , chickpea flour , pearlbarley flakes .
 I make one just as is from the packet and one with added dried fruit and honey .
I also make bread from 'the breadmake bible' by Karen Saunders .
 Breadmakers are fantastic , and i will hate it when i go off system completely .   

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 08:23:47 pm »
I love ours. Sometimes I forget and have to buy bread  :'( - it's horrible. Apart from the odd plain loaf and well-fired roll  :thumbsup:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 07:52:04 am »
We have 2  both Panasonic     can't fault them :thumbsup:

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 09:37:30 am »
Yes,  you can. You just need a gluten free recipe and you can find one on the back of Doves Farm gluten free bread flour.

Great, I will look for it and try it.

I bought a teeny weeny gluten-free loaf yesterday to try for £4.20 and the best I can say is that toasted and with butter and baked beans on it was acceptable.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 11:33:52 pm »
Yes, it's not like proper bread at all, is it?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 07:57:38 am »
Thank you for this thread, I have just ordered myself a bread maker, looking forward to some nice fresh bread now.  :thumbsup:
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 10:49:58 pm »
 :thumbsup:  You'll love it.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 07:38:58 am »
Anne

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »
Trust me your waist line could be in danger.....  Slice all the bread and put it into the freezer less the amount of slices you need. :-J  Do not be tempted to cover in glorious, delicious, butter, melting on your warm slice of bread which as a 'treat' you have cut table thick.   :thinking: Slice it weigh it, think twice, think minute on the lips lifetime on the hips, rest into the freezer pronto!  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS