Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bread  (Read 19561 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Bread
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:16:31 pm »
OH bought a bread maker today and we have just had our first taste of warm bread with butter and jam. To die for !! I use to make by hand but now not able to with joint problems in my fingers. As some shop bought bread now has soya which I cannot have we decided on the bread maker. Wonderful.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Bread
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:27:02 pm »
Fresh bread is just one of life's real pleasures. The simple things are always the best!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:34:27 pm »
Yum!  My mouth is watering now.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:36:57 pm »
my oH bought me a bread maker for xmas a year ago and now we never buy shop bought bread. you can also make dough, cakes, jam and frui compotes in my model. Love it!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:29 pm »
The ONE and ONLY kitchen gadget my OH is on good terms with.... and has been since we married more than 13 years ago. We are on (at least) our third one though, after a while of (nearly) daily use we find something usually goes...

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:32:23 pm »
We've had one for years - we have one that has up to 13 hours delay  program- put the ingredients in before bedtime, get up to a freshly baked loaf for breakfast, and the house smells great...

Wouldn't be without a bread-maker - it's lovely for making dough to shape for rolls, italian breads, pittas, pizza bases, french style dough for baguettes, naan bread - and Steve wonders why we're getting fat!

Sue

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:36:24 pm »
 :wave:

I have to move the bread machine into a warm room, otherwise it doesn't get hot enough to prove!  I do love fresh bread though!

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 01:23:06 pm »
Sabrina what bread maker did you get ? And what recipe did you use?
 I love fresh bread  :yum:
I'm getting really sick of the stale stuff that costs an arm & a leg.
I've tried on many occasions to make bread by hand with varying degrees of house brick as my result  :thumbsup: . I've thought about it before but haven't got a clue what a good bread maker looks like  :-[ . The other half had one before we got together but he said it was crap. So I've always stayed away from them. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic. :excited:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:57 pm »
Bert - don't get any other breadmaker than a Panasonic.  They are streets ahead of the rest.  Had one for over 14 years and have recently replaced it with the same but updated model.  The difference in the recipes is interesting though...much less salt and much less sugar, and none of the recipes include powdered milk, which pretty much all the old ones did.  Weird - but healthier!  Mine is the SD-2501

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 02:13:31 pm »
I bought the panasonic SD-2501 also, on recommendations from here when my ancient secondhand breadmaker went kaput. It is fabulous and i now get perfect results everytime. I used to get too heavy bread with hand kneading alone in spite of kneading until it felt silky (and as much as my hands would take). Now everything is well risen . I use it a lot for dough and shape rolls/baugettes etc. I can make small amounts (and also with larger amounts freeze some - I like to freeze some part baked rolls so I can quickly have fresh baked whenever i want) and so now don't get  any wasted bread. So quick and easy and less hassle than having to drive to the shops!
[/size][/color]
[/size] :thumbsup: [/color] :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »
OH bought the Panasonic SD-2501. he did a lot of research before buying. We just used the recipe for the basic loaf but it can do all sorts of thing.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:53:05 pm »
OH bought the Panasonic SD-2501. he did a lot of research before buying. We just used the recipe for the basic loaf but it can do all sorts of thing.

Wait until you try the Panetonne bread recipe!   :hungry:  :hungry:   (we need a really really fat smiley!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 03:17:28 pm »
Definitely Panasonic for me too.  We've had ours for yonks and it's still going strong  :fc:   Previously had a Henry (Hinari) but it got a hole in its bucket.
I still have the old recipes but I use only 1/2 teasp salt and 1 teasp sugar per XL loaf.  What does the new recipe recommend for 21 oz flour?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 03:41:33 pm »
Definitely Panasonic for me too.  We've had ours for yonks and it's still going strong  :fc:   Previously had a Henry (Hinari) but it got a hole in its bucket.
I still have the old recipes but I use only 1/2 teasp salt and 1 teasp sugar per XL loaf.  What does the new recipe recommend for 21 oz flour?
I only work in metric, but 500g is teaspoon and a quarter salt, teaspoon and a half sugar.  The old recipe was tablespoon and a half of sugar!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 03:53:29 pm »
i also second the panasonic, thats what i have. its my first breadmaker so nothing to compare it to but it has been fab everytime so far!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS