Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Husband/mate for Islay  (Read 28768 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Husband/mate for Islay
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 11:25:19 pm »
Everest!!! not quite what you meant? I suppose I shall take a look at the map, if you put up a post I'm sure you will get loads of names...I may do that, I intend to find a pet name that can also be a kennel name as it should go with the kennel name.....fun choosing though!!

Yes, that is what I meant, and Everest is one of the names I checked on the KC website - it is someone's Affix.  I have also tried Eiger, Etna - they also tell you if they are suitable for your breed or not.  The KC is very fussy!  I think there is one Scottish hill beginning with 'E'  My pups will be called Aberdon E- - - - -, and some people might try to tie up their pet name with the kennel one.  I usually try, but Freckles was just covered in little brown dots so I had no option when she was born, and that was the S year so she was registered as Aberdon Sgurr Mhairi

Name check here - http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/registrations/namecheck/Default.aspx

Here is a link to the guide to applying for a Kennel Affix http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/documents/guide/kennelNameGuideNotes.pdf

although you've probably got that sorted by now.  Might be useful for someone else.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2009, 08:08:56 am »
I rang to take Islay for a scan but have to go on Sunday as we have a guest arriving tonight and I am not sure if Steve will be back from work in time!!!! I had fun looking at a site wtih some stunning photos of Scottish Hills and Mountains but the comutor froze before I could cut and paste!!!! Good luck trawling!!!! I wounder what name the Kennel Club will choose, well I like all the ones I put down....fingers crossed!!! Now must get Breakfast ready for out Lady guest.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2009, 06:10:39 pm »
Is this the first litter you have had Sandy?

sandy

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2009, 07:13:38 pm »
First litter and we found she id due to have at least 10 puppies!!!!! BIG ONES!!!!1

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2009, 07:25:25 pm »
Big ones, oh dear. Sometimes with a big litter the back puppies push forward in labour and that makes it easier. What you dont need is the biggest pup to come first.

I hope you didnt feed Mum any more than she normally has.

How many weeks prgnant is she now?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:27:50 pm by Jackie »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2009, 07:29:21 pm »
Big ones, oh dear. I hope you didnt feed Mum any more than she normally has.

How many weeks prgnant is she now?

She MUST be fed higher protein food.   She needs smaller meals and more often - 4 meals a day.  My bitches always go on to puppy food as soon as I confirm they are pregnant.  Islay is due to whelp Christmas eve but I suspect she may whelp a couple of days early.  Any earlier than 6 days before due date and the pups may not be viable.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2009, 08:00:56 pm »
I never feed anymore than is normal for the bitch, the pups take what they need from mum. Food get piled into the bitch after she has whelped.

I have seen too many owners overfeed their bitches and end up have c sections because of big pups.

sandy

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2009, 08:02:36 pm »
We have been feeding her higher protien and better quality food, I bought some cheap cod and I make one meal with some of the cod and another meal with some scraambled duck eggs.....she is full of life, going on on walks but we are also being careful...she has a farosiouse yet fussy appitite and looking to "nest" upstairs inour guests bedroom....not really ideal...Next week I shall get her used to where she will have her pups...off with our shopping list...bottles..milk...kitchen rolls....puppy food....heat lamp....heat pads......eeerrrrrrrrrrrrr????

sandy

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2009, 08:04:56 pm »
Isaly is just over 5 weeks pregant, another 4 to go fingers crossed. She is a very good dog and we will keep one female pups...we already have a name for her....and fingers crossed, the kennel club will agree to my new breader name....???I will let you al know when I know!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:51:11 pm by sandy »

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2009, 09:04:38 pm »
Good luck Sandy,  ;D I hope all goes well.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2009, 09:09:58 pm »
I hope she whelps before Christmas Eve, I don't fancy being Santa and delivering puppies instead of parcels  ;D ;D ;D

sandy

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2009, 09:47:30 pm »
All those stockings to fill!!!!! I know we have some guests booked...hope they can do without sleep or breakfast!!!

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2009, 07:07:28 am »
I love the sense of peace and accomplishment when the bitch has whelped and she is tucked up in the whelping box with suckling puppies around her. The puppy smell is wonderful and like no other smell. Their breaths smell rather like weetabix after a few days.

The room is warm and semi dark and the only noise you can hear is snuffling as the pups jocky for the best teats (the back 4) and contented sighs from mum and me

Many a time I have slept on the floor in a sleeping bag alongside the whelping box with its anti pup front off and holding my bitches paw throughout the night.  ;D

Actually that would be the perfect Christmas eve for me.

PS I had one bitch (Kerris, my favourite of all time) that wouldnt sleep in her whelping box without me sleepng in there with her and the pups, which was fine when they were a few days old but sure as hell not so nice when they were weaning.

Ill tell you some things as to why Kerris was so special.
When my daughter brought home a kitten who was way too young to lap Kerris produced milk and suckled the kitten for 3 weeks. She cleaned the kitten as though he was a pup and till the day she died the cat thought Kerris was his mum. The cat thinks hes a dog so now sleeps tucked up with my german sheps.

When Kerris's daughter had her first litter she didnt want to know the pups for 5 days and I was tearing my hair out cos without mum its hard to keep pups alive, anyway as a last resort I brought in to the whelping room Kerris who took who look and gingerly (she thought I was going to tell her off as they werent her pups) stepped into the whelping box and within 24 hours had produce milk and was suckling the pups.  Everyday I brought into the room Kerris's daughter (puppies mum) and after 5 days she growled at Kerris to get out, so she did and mum carried on from there.

I used to deliver charity envelopes around and walk 2 bitches at the same time and one day whilst walking up a path to a house Kerris crouched low, her nose disapeared as she curled her lips and growled low and long. She dug in her feet and wouldnt go up the path so I turned around and didnt deliver the envelope to that house.

Five months later there was a report that the guy who lived in that house had kidnapped a woman and kept her a prisoner for 2 weeks at the house!!!

Whilst a friend was visiting her child ran into the road outside my house, Kerris must have heard a car coming and rushed through my legs and knocked the child over and out of the path of the car.

Kerris often came with me to give lectures to kids (Brownies, scouts etc) on the care of animals. She was a favourite at a Special school we used to go to and enjoyed the kids stroking her. Once we were called in specially because there was one little girl in particular who was in a wheelchair and she was very depressed. She couldnt move her hands very much so she couldnt stroke Kerris.
I wondered if just looking at Kerris would be enough help for her but Kerris had a better idea, she sat sideways to the wheelchair and nudged the girls hand untill it was, firstly on her muzzle then on her head!!!
 The huge grins from both Kerris and the little girl was wonderfull to see, the adults in the room, (including me) has tears in our eyes.

And finally Kerris could dance!!
I didnt teach her to dance but she did. She danced with me up and down the front room (or scout hall etc) she danced on her own when she thought no one was looking and the stereo was on loud. She danced in the garden when we were invited to BBQ's and took her.

She was amazing! I had never had a bitch like her before and never expect one like her again. I loved her dearly.

Oh and it was a Kerris daughter that was the first ever golden retriever for Dogs for the Disabled. She helped a lady with MS.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:44:13 am by Jackie »

sandy

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2009, 08:09:10 am »
Very moving, us humans have such a very special relationship with dogs..I can't Waite.

We have castrated male lab called Ben as well as Isaly. We got him when we had to have our mungrel put to sleep, we prefer to have more than one dog as we have plenty of room.

Ben is a strong 1 year old Black Labrador and is very intelligent, far too intelligent for my liking, sometimes, when you are out walking, he chooses to come back when he is ready, he knows you want him and gives you that look at the corner of his eye and wonders off, a bit too far from me to catch him. He is OK sometimes, depends on what and where he is. He also hates to be "told off" if you sound remotely angry, he teases you by hidding and bouncing around...we have a B&B and sometimes we have guests on nights so sleeping in the day...If Ben gets a chance he will blunder his way upstairs and run around, one day it took me ages to get him down as he was prancing and teasing me...but I love him...he also sucks a blanket!!!!

Anyway, back to whelping. I am fairly confident and will have to whelp Isaly in our Kitchen as its the best room, not ideal for a B&B but I hope to keep one side of the kitchen a bit free. I too think it will be a great Christmas present, we shall not be watching TV, that is unless we move the pups and Isaly into our lounge and have her with us in front of a big log fire.......so exciting!!!!
P.S You help and advise will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2009, 08:49:49 am »
I would only take Ben out on an extending lead untill he comes to command. Recall is the most important command to teach as it could save his life one day.

Never get angry if he doesnt come back just turn 360 and slowly walk away from the dog. As you are the only person he knows he will follow you, when he comes to you titbit him and fuss him. You have 3 seconds to do that after that they dont know what the praise is for.
Try practising in the garden with the lead and titbit and if he is clever it wont take long.
 If Ben does something you dont like turn away from him and ignore him, this is a throwback from being in a pack and to be outside the pack is dangerous for the dog.

Remember you are pack leader.

Do you know the signs for imminent labour?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS