Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: to spay or not to spay ?  (Read 7096 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: to spay or not to spay ?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 09:01:41 pm »
Really depends on the vet and the location - our German Shepherd cost £70 through the rescue centre (so presumably the vet gave them cheaper ops) and the area she was from was less than salubrious! Our local vet would probably charge twice that!

It might be worth getting an 'account' (tab) so you can save up for vets bills at the end of the month, if your vet offers this.  The direct debit sounds great Sabrina - will ask ours next time I go in...
Little Blue

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 12:24:19 pm »
Hi we had a doberman years ago who was spayed but became a bit incontinent about 11yrs old, the vet gave her tablets and it stopped!
I paid £100 for my gsd bitch to be spayed this year, I use YourVets they are much cheaper than most vets as they are an 'affordable' vet, its a chain so theres others around the country! They have special offers too, I paid £55 for my hound to have a dental including extractions, antibiotics after care etc Last time i paid £250 at a different vets, they worth looking at!

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »
thanks again for new replies            was at the vets last night getting booster vaccinations done and was given a price of £160 which is based on the weight of the dog (mine are English Pointers - not heavy!)       will need to wait until the older one has gone 6 weeks after the end of symptoms of her current false pregnancy                the younger pointer (3 years) is not good with strangers (fearful/could be defensive? - not typical of the breed or the rest of her littermates I hasten to add!)  I'm worried that getting her spayed will convince her that strangers are bad news and make her worse   I presume if she looks at all like she might snap that she would be muzzled (she never has but if her 'backs against the wall ..... ?)  How do they get an injection into the vein in the first place if the dog is one that is really scared and tries to fling itself about? (maybe I dont want to know!)   I suppose its down to the health benefits outweighing the negative experience?   worry worry worry !     any vet nurses out there that can reassure me about how difficult dogs are handled?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 07:46:35 pm »
I can reassure you.  If your vet is a good one they will allow you to stay until she is sedated.  There should be no need for a muzzle.  Ask them in advance what they intend.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »
Our vet recommended a muzzle for Sheba, and actually its brilliant for her with her problems - she gets into trying to take it off and forgets to get so scared!
It really depends just how your dog will react to the whole travelling to, new smells, waiting room, strange people etc of the vet experience.  Sheeb goes to pieces. 

(unless you're reallly against them) Why not invest in a muzzle and practise with the younger one, get her used to it (eg every time she goes in the car) and walk her to the vets, then into the waiting room, let them talk to her etc - the more exposure in theory, the better she should get and if you have to wait anyway....

Ask your vet how they would go about sedating, injecting etc - just so you are happy with the idea!
Little Blue

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 12:30:58 am »
i had penny spayed at 6, no problems brock was spayed at 1 after first season as we wernt going to breed her.if you are on working tax credit or some other benefits the dogs trust rspca,  dog  pounds and a few other places can help with a voucher towards the cost of the op.keeps strays ect numbers down so works out better for them too.
the cats protection are doing one at moment by me to have your cat done for £5
bargain.
 ;D

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 08:22:58 pm »
I got my GSD at four years of age. She'd had 3 litters of pups by then, and I decided that she'd done enough to continue her species.

Had no problems at all with the spaying - except the cost - £150. She's only mildly anxious when visiting the vet now, and that stems from when the vet put the microchip in.

contrary to common claims, spaying had absolutely no effect on her behaviour / temperament, even after 6 months.  Needed to train her to calm her down.

having said all that, a friend of mine had a cat that was very trusting, affectionate and friendly until he got her spayed, and she was never the same after (wary and difficult to get near). But that was quite a long time ago (15+ years).

mab

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS