Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 100 acre Farm Question  (Read 17104 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: 100 acre Farm Question
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
Expensive youngstock come out of expensive parents. The serious  farmer needs tractors, balers, trailers and such like. It all eats away at the profit.
Another friend of mine has just standard beef cattle, nothing special and sold in kg liveweight. He loses ten pound a head, even though he makes his own forage.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:41:52 pm by shygirl »

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 06:58:42 pm »
I've never seen beef make any money on paper. Unpopular as it may be, sheep do.

You could have 400ish ewes on your 100 ac in summer, but you'd need to find tack/turnips etc for just over half of them in winter.

Alternatively, you could have 150-200, shut half the farm up in summer and make hay/silage to sell and run the whole lot over the farm in winter.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 05:58:18 pm »
Simple, put up an Endurance x-29 on a 0%down 40%equity deal.

Then have fun doing what ever you want! Dexter cows and an AA bull will give you a small hardy efficient cow with an AAx Su kler to sell on or fatten. Best of all worlds.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 08:28:46 pm »
Look at the EBLEX costings for sucklers/beef production---if you are in the top 5% of producers with economy of scale you may make a small profit

I am a new entrant to farming in my own right and the most important thing I can tell you is that if the plan doesn't work economically on paper it won't work in real life. So do your budgeting well ---------
2nd thing I can tell you is that the actual farming side of your business is not so important ---you need to get your marketing right

Good luck!

WildWelshShepherdess

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Conwy
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 12:42:09 am »
Know what market your heading for,
Don't under budget.. Its always best to over budget!!

We have a 120acre farm with around 130-140 stores, all fattened off grass or silage.
With around 300 of various breeds of sheep.

We used to buy quality but as prices have gone through the roof atm we're buying anything we can see that will make us a profit.

A good friend of mine buys in bulling heifers, bulls them and sells them as cows with calves at foot.
There is a gamble in it etc but shes making a good profit on her farm and thats without any SFP.
Heifers are generally cheaper to buy in that steers.
Work with Eblex or any other companies offering help..

Also go around different markets and speak to different aged farmers its from them you'll learn the most etc.

I can give you contact details for a very well run farm here in Wales ( the person has won the farmers weekly beef farmer of the year)
If your interested message me and i'll send you the details over :)

Good luck with what ever you decided to do :) 
Flocks of Hill Radnors, Black Welsh Mountains, Balwens and North Country Cheviots

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 07:48:08 pm »
If you figure out how to make a profit from 100 acres write a book and sell it to all the people out there that cant make  a profit  :roflanim:

Seriously good luck you'll need it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS