Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meet Cherry :)  (Read 7277 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Meet Cherry :)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 11:36:20 am »
She's gorgeous! Congratulations, will be interested to hear how she grows up.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 11:16:41 am »
Congratulations!!! She looks gorgeous!  How many days did she go before calving?  My Jersey is due mid april, put her to an Angus and hoping for a heifer. Need to get her closer to my house before calving and was going to leave it till the end of this month but dont know if that is pushing my luck.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 01:17:24 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the admiration :D  Must take an up-to-date pic, she really is a stunner :)

Hillie has now produced hers, a half-brother-cum-uncle to Cherry.  He's the same colour but has black-rimmed eyes and a black nose.  Unlike Cherry he's not very active, in fact I nearly called him Dopey.  (But decided on George - Dad is Atlas, lol.  Hope he grows into that heritage!)

Plenty cooked Cherry for a whopping 293 days, trish.farm.  She needed a bit of help - by hand - to push her out and you wouldn't have believed she was a newborn the following day, she already looked 5 days old, let alone she's half Jersey  :o

Hillie is much more sensible, she popped George out with no fuss at all, at 286 days.  A much smaller calf at birth, much more like a newborn!

The shortest gestation I've had with my Jerseys has been Hillie's last year's calf, a British Blue, which was about 282 days I think.  I always calculate on 279 days (for the whole herd, this is, mainly Angus X and Hereford X) and have never had one early on that.  Some bulls and some breeds are much longer, I would think our average is probably about 285 days.  Some of the British Blues have been 279 and 280 days - they are supposed to be shorter gestation and therefore easier calving and that has been our experience.

I can't predict how your Jersey would do, but if it wouldn't be too difficult to fetch her up quickly if she started altering then end of the month sounds fine.  If it's not easy to fetch her up when she starts altering then maybe you shouldn't risk it!  My Jerseys start bagging up a good 10 days, often more, before they calve, their ligaments slacken over a period of days before calving, and their bags get really full and 'springing' when calving is imminent, so I'd have plenty of notice to fetch them in.  But I don't know if that's all Jerseys or just mine.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:18:57 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 01:45:56 pm »
Ah thanks Sally, my Jersey is halter trained so can catch her up at a minutes notice so no problem there, just didnt want to move her too close to calving (nearly put lambing then!) incase it upsets her or causes any problems.  Fingers crossed i have a stunner like yours!  xx

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »
Congrats - Hope she's doing well!  We have pedigree Devons here, love the red rubies and yes, very docile and quiet.  We are planning on multiple suckling ours as they are quite milky, but that'll wait til next year when more organised!  Jersey x sounds a cracking cross for a house cow...  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 02:42:41 am »
Thanks Nina, she's doing really well!

Here she is with Mum this morning:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 05:08:31 am »
Wow, Cherry is growing fast, she looks a little stunner.
Aahhhh  :love: Plenty, what an angel  :hugcow:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS