Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Halter training and catching reluctant Dexters  (Read 2839 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Halter training and catching reluctant Dexters
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:52:01 pm »
Does anyone have any tips?  I have 2 Dexter cows (one new one with a calf at foot).  All 3 are halter trained and one has been shown extensively.  The problem I have is that they are tricky to catch.  My older cow has had foul in the foot several times this year and so she probably associates me with being prodded and jabbed and as a result is almost impossible to catch even with a bucket.  I have some cattle handling gates and my plan is to feed them inside this area daily (and to put hay in there in the Winter) so that I can shut the gate behind them and at least have them in a small area if I need to.  Unfortunately, my older cow is reluctant to go in the handling gates and before our last TB test I had to completely cut out hay for a day or two so that they were properly hungry.  Obviously this is going to get worse with the Spring grass but I am very keen to keep up the halter training with my new 2 and hate the thought of not being able to catch them if they need urgent treatment or are calving.  The two steers will do anything for a bucket but the girls are a bit more wary. I also have a large field shelter and electric fencing which I could utilise if you think it would help. 
Helen

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Halter training and catching reluctant Dexters
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:36:58 pm »
My older girl is 8 years old and I have had her for a year.  She is in calf and due in August.  I collected the other 2 yesterday and one is 3 and her calf is about 7 months old.  I might well try and feed them in the field shelter which has a gate on the front and put hay in the cattle handling area in the winter.  My 8 year old is really canny and will pull away even if I manage to get a hand on her head-collar which she wears permanently.  What do you bucket feed yours with?  Mine didn't seem to like the cattle nuts so I am feeding a bit of calf coarse mix which they prefer but am worried that the extra protein may make their hooves grow too fast. 

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:09:29 pm »
The older one seems very smart but she is sensible in the sense that she is fine to tie up once caught and if I can get her in a small area, she seems to sense that the game is over and is easier to catch.  I am worried about her teaching the others bad habits and will just persist with the nuts.  Thanks for your input.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:09:47 am »
 You are lucky in that yours are already halter trained and therefore have been "civilised" as much as a Dexter can be.
 I would imagine that you only ever attempt to handle them when you want to catch them. You are therefore training them to move away whenever you approach.
 If you want to be able to catch an animal at will, you need to build up a relationship with it, not just go and grab it when it suits you.
 So - forget catching them and concentrate on handling them. Cattle love being scratched on the backside, so whenever you get near, eg when they're eating, give them a friendly scratch near the tail and then walk on. Gradually they'll get used to this and realise you aren't trying to grab them whenever you approach. Then, when they'll happily stand for you to scratch them, move your hand along their back. A stiff brush is handy here, and they love being brushed along their back and sides. Gradually progress forward - under the neck is another favoured spot, and soon you'll be able to touch the halter with no problem. But do not grab it.  Just gently clip on the lead rope and apply pressure so the cow knows she's caught and won't run off with you. Always use a lead rope on a cow, never just hold the halter unless it's an emergency. Once a cow has nearly run off with your fingers trapped between the head collar and her head you will understand why.
This all takes time. You won't achieve it in a day. But once your cows enjoy you coming up to scratch and brush you then they wil actually start approaching you and you'll have no trouble catching them again.
I have my dexters grazing on a kilometre long stretch of river bank, but every day when I check them, I give their back a little scratch and talk to them. So when I want to catch one up for any reason, they have no problem with me just putting a rope halter on and tying them up.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:15:28 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I have been feeding them a small amount in the cattle handling area each morning and they all come in and I have been moving round them and touching them as I go.  My new cow is very keen on cake and so is first in each morning and this has had a positive effect on my older cow who I don't think wants to be away from the herd.
Helen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:18 am »
Landroverroy is spot on, IMHO :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS