Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed a family of four for five days on £5  (Read 33892 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Feed a family of four for five days on £5
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2013, 08:00:24 pm »
Freegans have a good idea I reckon...if only the supermarkets didn't squirt washing up liquid over all the 'wonky carrots' or tinned beans that are one day out of sell by.... ::)

There is a supermarket that also does banking that doesn't do this. Or lock the bins  :innocent: :innocent:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2013, 09:13:24 pm »
I was going to ask who but too stiff to get into any bin so I will leave it to fitter and more in need ::) , its such a shame so much goes to waste though ( and mine) we just did our bargain shop and am eating a lovely king prawn coctail with 10p salads and tomatoes and very cheap prawns, we lived in Leicester and the market there was super, very cheap at the end of the day!!
I am loving this post, getting some good ideas :thumbsup:

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2013, 11:02:21 pm »
Sandy, goo on, go for it, see if you can eat from bins for a week, keep a photo diary on here, I'm excited by it, please, go on, go on, go on, you know you can do it

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2013, 11:03:52 pm »
I would ask where but I dare not even try as I would get stuck! :roflanim:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2013, 09:01:16 am »
Sandy, goo on, go for it, see if you can eat from bins for a week, keep a photo diary on here, I'm excited by it, please, go on, go on, go on, you know you can do it

;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2013, 10:59:06 am »
We did get a lot of 10p stuff again last night, just happened to go at the right time, no meat but plenty of bread, veg and salad, I just hate paying £1 for leaves :innocent: ....I have loads of chocolate stuff and i am not a fan of chocolate, prefer fruit flavors, but  beggers cannot be choosers, I got loads of lovely cake flans for 10p a pack of 6, they are in the freezer to be filled at a later date with fruit, jelly glaze and a dob of cream!!!!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2013, 12:42:55 pm »
When I lived by myself I would shop every evening after work. Basically I lived on offers and would batch cook stews or soup if meat was on offer. Nothing in the larder or fridge most days. Some nights I would wake hungry and have a Rivita with apricot jam. When my daughter visited I bought croissants for her breakfast and put out the near finished apricot jam . My daughter informed me that the obscure labelled jar was mago chutney.
So - although I lost 3 stone living from hand to mouth and saved shed loads of money I did eat some odd stuff and very unusual combinations of food. It became the norm for me but surprised my daughter and any visitors who would be offered whatever I had and gherkins ( always had them!!). :excited:   
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2013, 01:27:59 pm »
man cannot live without gherkins. on that we agree.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 01:39:41 pm »
 ;D yep eating a few gherkins when hungry is enough to put you off other food for a good few hours - and they are cheap. Maybe instead of soup kitchens or food banks there should be Gherkin Bars.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2013, 01:55:01 pm »
man cannot live without gherkins. on that we agree.

why would anyone eat pickled frogs???

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2013, 02:01:16 pm »
Pickled frogs ? No straight over my head that one.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2013, 02:18:29 pm »
gherkins might as well be pickled frog for all i care to eat them...

we refer to the gherkin slices in burgers as sliced pickled dead frog, pickled gherkins are nasty!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2013, 02:36:56 pm »
I love the gherkin slices in burgers!!  A pregnancy craving that never went away gherkins...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

deepinthewoods

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2013, 03:09:11 pm »
i grew 2 plants and now have jars of them everywhere, all different sizes, in different vinegars, yummy.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2013, 08:06:34 pm »
Well, we went off to buy something for tea and WOWOWO, we have a freezer stocked to bursting with 10p stuff and although the meat was only reduced, I got so many veg for 10p so tomorrow going to make a huge stew and freeze it, the fruit is mainly blue berries and raspberried, loads and loads of them for 10p a punnet, they were nearer to £3 at the real price, yesterdays sponge flan cases at 10p for 6 are going together for a great pud......so, our little shop ended up a big shop and all well not the meat, 10p...we spendt £20 alltogether...bumped into a lovely lady :innocent: that must have done a bit of her sentance for mudering her boyfriend too ...... :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS