Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed a family of four for five days on £5  (Read 33662 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Feed a family of four for five days on £5
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2013, 10:43:15 am »
MGM, we tend to go shopping late, often between 7.30 to 8.00pm then they reduce all sorts of stuff, I bought loads of pancakes for 6p for a pack of 6, never do I buy them usually as they are so easy to make but at a 1p each an instant pud or breakfast, I have nearly finished off all the punnets of blue berries, also 10p each, I mixed and stewed them with forest fruits that I picked while dog walking in our local forest, they were lovely.  Never seem to get much meat, but still buy reduced price meat, I now also batch cook, tonight a Shepard's pie is coming out the freezer, I made a few a while ago so its like an instant meal with additional veg, We also finished off the last of our curried lamb, it lasted 4 nights, last night I used it up with roasted veg and new potatoes, a very cheap meal..........any way, just ask at supermarkets when they reduce stuff, they may tell you.......I hope to get some flowers, its been a few weeks now but bunches of flowers get reduced too....Its not a case of being mean, its a case of having very little money!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:29 pm »
I used to shop in the evenings and very occasionally got bargains like that but not often. I supose it depends on the supermarket. I don't think it's mean. Why pay more than you have to?

Just remembered a butcher's I used to go to who had an 'auction' on a Monday evening. It was more like a market stall with him calling out what the next item was and the first hand up got it. I bought many a one legged chicken or even legless ones for next to nothing. It was entertaining as well.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2013, 07:36:07 am »
Stolen vegetable soup for a week. According to a certain double barrel shoplifting, limp wristed  chef . :innocent:  A.W.T

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:29 am »
Just remembered a butcher's I used to go to who had an 'auction' on a Monday evening. It was more like a market stall with him calling out what the next item was and the first hand up got it. I bought many a one legged chicken or even legless ones for next to nothing. It was entertaining as well.
We used to shop at Leicester Market, after 3.00pm I think? the meat was also reduced, the meat was good as well, the stall had a great reputation and there were always ques. Fruit and Veg were also sold off cheap, trouble is, things were usually fairly ripe but now I just stew veg or make soups (not free help yourself to some ones veg that's growing  ;) ) or stewed fruit or drinks. Fish was also  very cheap there, not sure if its half as good as it was but I used to work near to it so could fill the car up easily!!!!
Got loads of bargains again last night..........we took the dogs for a later walk then they sat in the car/van, while we shopped, the total bill was £10 and in the contents were cubed Beef, reduced from £7 down to £1.75, then a bag of 4 rainbow trout, that was 89p,  chopped cubed pork95p,, loads of different posh breads all at 10p a loaf, herbs, and loads of pre packed veg ready to make Scotch Broth, they did say produce of Scotland on the bags too........We also managed to get some cake and some pack up.....I was amazed at how good we can eat and there was virtually no one else taking the stuff, although the meat did go quickly!!!!! :innocent:   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:24:29 am by happygolucky »

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »
Wow - what a host of goodies for a bargain price.  Lucky you, I never seem to be in the supermarket when these deals happen and if I am, it's like the gates at an Easyjet departure lounge before they brought in reserved seating!  ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2013, 09:36:51 am »
we went in one day last week and I wanted flowers for the house, we are selling and flowers add to the look, anyway, we ended up with£27 worth of flowers for 60p.   Just the job.   :thumbsup: ...strangely, very few people are around when we go...must be when something goods on the TV :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2013, 10:14:33 pm »
I think I'm going to have to shop just before closing time. Trouble is, my OH is half dead after dinner and I can't manage to shop on my own. What can I suggest to make him feel shopping is worthwhile?  :innocent: :eyelashes:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2013, 10:15:57 pm »
10p bargains :excited:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2013, 04:05:52 pm »
My grandmother was raised in a family of 15 children with only the wage of her father (one of the Lord Mayor of London's coachmen) to support them, until the children reached the age of 6, when they were put to work scrubbing doorsteps for the richer folks in the neighbourhood.  On Friday the older children took a penny to the soup kitchen for the family's evening meal and on Saturday they went along the gutters of the local street market when the stalls had packed up, to collect vegetable trimmings to take home for the stockpot .....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2013, 09:28:25 pm »
10p bargains :excited:

It'd take more than the promise of 10p bargains to shift him.

Marches Farmer, it's amazing that some families survived as well as they did. I wonder if all fifteen children made it to adulthood.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2013, 09:46:18 pm »
Wow Marches Farmer, that's super scrimping, mind you, the amount of stuff wasted now is criminal, last night we bought more 10p stuff but there were piles of Asparagus,  not that keen but its obviously not that popular here and goes off quick.
Steve will go out any time if he thinks he will get a bargain.........our house is now full of flowers thanks to Steve and I have to do the arrangements :innocent:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2013, 06:57:43 am »
Hole in the road, luxury, we had a paper bag.....etc... :innocent:  http://youtu.be/Xe1a1wHxTyo
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:03:55 am by tizaala »

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2013, 09:04:57 am »
 :roflanim: , we were not wealthy as a family but we did get some meals from the local Mental Hospital  :innocent: , mum was a nurse and she was allowed to bring home any unused food......Mum was a good cook though.
I also remember when I owned a cafe with my mum and collecting pig swill for the local farmer, then I also remember working in catering and we could take any left overs, my best mate cycled home with a tub on soup on her bike but fell off, awful mess!!!!
Then the chip and batter bits and the broken biscuits from Woolworth's!!
All this take home stuff is not allowed now.....were we all more frequently ill years ago?
Quite honestly, due to a very tight budget, some foods cost more to prepare than processed foods, an example would be bought Rhubarb, you need to use power to cook it and add sugar, the tin stuff is nice and no cooking or sugar, in fact I made a crumble with a small amount of fresh and some tins stuff and I could not tell. Hope I can grow some one day :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »
I've just made strawberry jelly with rhubarb.   :yum: :yum:

I always bulk cook when I can to save fuel.  I did enough rhubarb for several puds. It freezes well once cooked.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2013, 05:08:29 pm »
Love the stuff, whats tall and thin, covered in skin, pink in parts and shoved in tarts? :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS