Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rent per acre in N.Wales?  (Read 8754 times)

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Rent per acre in N.Wales?
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:02:39 pm »
Wasn't really sure what section to post this in so put it here. Does anybody here have any idea how much land in N. Wales is making per acre per year to rent. Its around 50 acres, most of its good land but some is marshy.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Rent per acre in N.Wales?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:06:53 am »
Just for grazing around  £100 per acre per year is a good starting point, unless you want it for horses. Then you will pay that per month.... :innocent:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:07:51 pm »
Just for grazing around  £100 per acre per year is a good starting point, unless you want it for horses. Then you will pay that per month.... :innocent:

Is that with entitlements? If not, thats nuts!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:27:17 pm »
That's what we are paying per acre.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:04:13 pm »
No two pieces of land are the same. And North Wales is a big place with just about every conceivable situation as far as land is concerned. The 100 quid an acre per year sounds like a fair starting point for negotiations to me but as said above if I was letting grazing to horse owners I'd want more simply because of the mess they make and the crap they always seem to leave behind like bits of electric fence tape and pieces of horse rug on every bramble.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:02:05 pm »
That's what we are paying per acre.

Its (as far as I am aware) the going rate on a FBT, I think with SFP entitlements.

However, I know nothing about the going rate in North Wales - I always assume that things are more expensive in general round here, being the south of England and all.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:54 am »
Steve, you won't get SFP on rented land as most rentals are cash in hand unofficial deals anyway. As soon as you wave a drawn up agreement under a landowner's nose he runs away. :innocent: :innocent:

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:23:48 am »
We paid £120 per acre per year for our horses before we purchased our land and have just rented extra for the sheep at £80 for the year it's only a small paddock so we've over paid really but it's in front of the house and  only 400 yards or so away from the stables and land we own so worth it to us :wave:

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:35:05 pm »
Thanks for the replys. Should have said the land is on a 10yr Farm business tenancy but is let without entitlements. Its for tender so guess I will just bid what its worth to us.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 10:07:11 pm »

Unless the land is really crap, you won't get it around here for less - and no entitlements.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 05:18:54 pm »

Unless the land is really crap, you won't get it around here for less - and no entitlements.

Would that be with some security, like a 10 yr FBT for example?

What about winter tack for sheep? I'm trying to work out how you'd make any money on say, 200 ac and the only thing I can think of is to keep say, 500ish sheep (assuming the land supports them) not to make much fodder and send 1/2 the sheep away somewhere cheaper for the winter maybe?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS