Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed a family of four for five days on £5  (Read 33625 times)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
Feed a family of four for five days on £5
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:20 am »
Can it be done????? Watch this space. :excited:
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Feed a family of four for five days on £5
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:03:38 am »
£5 total or per day?
Mandy :pig:

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:07:36 am »
Can be done,

Mon - mashed potatoe
Tue - boiled potatoe
We'd - baked potatoe
Thur- chips
Fri - boiled potatoe with mashed potatoe topping under the grill

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:06 am »
£5 in total not day Mandy. And Alistair, it will be more appetising than just potatos. The recipes will be healthy and meet all your nutritional needs. We have taken on the challenge from Unicef to do just this.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:08 am »
wow, now thats a challenge, I know my brother manages on that but on his own, he often writes how he gets his protien, not always choice stuff though. I know we fill up on carbs and thats not too good for me or long term, I will be so interested to see what you eat, hope your family are not fussy?
I remember a friend doing something like that a few years ago, she even broke down her fuel costs re cooking. its often the added hidden extras that can mount up!!

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:07:13 am »
it will be interesting to see how, cos even buying seeds and growing your food, growing your own meat and eggs, puts us seriously out of pocket and its geniunely cheaper to buy it from tesco.
unless you are buying it from approved foods?  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:  and living purely on blancmange.... :roflanim:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:24 am »
I was going to make a Rhubarb crumble but as I had none at that time I went to buy some and it was very very expensive, then of course the added cost of the sugar, I then bought a tin and the crumble tasted just as home made with solid chunks as the real stuff. I have a big freezer full of bargains that can support us for a while but starting from scratch IS a challange, its all the bits and bob and the cooking that add up!!

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:27:04 pm »
Well I am a little embarrassed now :-[ :-[ as I got it slightly wrong. Its feed one person on a fiver for five days.  the person who I am working with on it has just informed me,  Still a challenge,but maybe not quite as much  - sorry folks

www.porkyquines.co.uk

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:48 pm »
Well its still a challenge, not quite so many chips then? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:04:14 pm »
Don't forget that on this challenge you can't have "free" food - if it's homegrown, you have to calculate the cost of growing it... And don't forget, even the land you grow it on costs something; so it really isn't that easy! I checked their website - and found that they didn't cost in the energy for cooking, or fuel/bus fares you need to buy all that extra cheap food they recommend.

Yes, it can be done - if you don't mind what's in your sausages, and you live within walking distance of a really cheap supermarket.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:25:51 pm »
Can we assume that £5 per person includes wine?
I reckon that will be difficult if you can not spend more than £5 to take advatage of offers or bulk buys and then pro rata the cost per meal /person/day.
Let us know how it goes please.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:34:23 pm by MAK »
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 04:30:11 pm »
£20 for wine, for a week?, for 4 people?

Can't be done, I'd be crying on the Tuesday....

Is this to show how people survive on one dollar a day poverty line in the third world?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 05:10:55 pm »
I have said this times but I did do some catering and made all my food from scratch, stewed good quality meat (hope not horse) for a pie, made the pastry etc and then, after the wonderful meal, saw big steak pies on offer for £1 each, I am sure the chaps would have liked them just as much.
We buy loads of 10 bargains, I am no fan of any sausage, not even posh stuff, and hate burgers (just had one  ::) ) but not a fan at all, yet I cannot afford the better stuff at the moment so our diet is not so wonderful, I even buy frozen veg at £1 a pack, there are only 2 of us and it saves a hell of a lot, mind you I did buy 3 caulis at 10p each on Friday, they are soup now!!!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 05:24:28 pm »
Nearly nettle soup time :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 06:34:15 pm »
I don't know what the 'rules' are . £5 for one for a week , under certain circumstances would be a doddle .
If it is being done seriously , ie not expecting wine etc , then just by buying 'on offer ' food  , and not expecting half a ton of crap to be tipped down your gullet every 5 minutes , then it would be very easy .
 It all depends on the criterion imposed , ie , i can survive on no money at all , albeit on a very different diet to normal .
£5 for 1 week is no test at all really , £5 a week for 6 months would begin to be a test , as many people are likely to find out this year .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS