Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Missing duck  (Read 26730 times)

sandy

Re: Missing duck
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2009, 11:19:28 pm »
Nature usualy sorts out weaknesses!!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2009, 11:25:14 pm »
evolution

sandy

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2009, 11:31:05 pm »
Diversity...They won Britains got Tallent!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2009, 11:48:24 pm »
We just have the better weapons and ducks used to be able to fly before they "turned" domestic and had their wings clipped. Better not to get too emotional about it all but limit things to necessary damage, we have to protect our stock - I still don't approve of fox hunting for sport as for enjoyment. Causing suffering and enjoying it is sick. (Diversity is fun, lol.) What you say about foxes not finishing their dinner is a bit like a cat playing with a mouse. Not nice but they can't choose what they do. It's very strange to read "Fox Evil" by Minette Walters while we're discussing this! :&>

sandy

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2009, 12:03:30 am »
Do you know, I am not against Fox hunting!!! It employs people in the countryside who would otherwise find it difficult to work, they do not actually kill loads of fox's, the alternative is the farmer or others shooting them as they run off and them dying of led shot wounds, with the hunt they at least have a bit of a chance to escape. The hunt is not all tofffs!! I knew many normal, poor if you like, people being involved with the hunt, basically it is no differnet from any killing of animals for eating or otherwise!!! Don't get me wrong, I love animals and Fox's are pretty and loyal animals but I see not argument against hunting at all, the hunt also pays to keep open access to farmers fields. I hate the thought of any country loosing it's traditions, cruel, well, lot's of things can be perceived as cruel, getting run over by a drunk driver, being knifed, eating a battery hen's egg!!!!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2009, 12:18:07 am »
im sorry but i just cant justify the killing of one life (in its natural enviroment) to secure the safety of another.

distinction being family

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2009, 12:26:27 am »
I'm sorry but i just cant justify the killing of one life (in its natural environment) to secure the safety of another.

distinction being family

It's not their "natural environment" it is my back garden, my property and I never invited them to take up residence. I will do whatever is necessary to protect my animals.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2009, 08:22:38 am »
That's the difference between human and animal - we have a choice, they don't! We have to look after our stock, they look after their cubs. We may think about it and feel sorry about the life we take (I had the thought about slugs and snail, Sandy, we're just softies!), they can't.
But  regarding the birds' diet, I was wondering about which leftovers were ok for ducks, does anyone know? At the moment they just get some veg, occasionally bread. pasta, rice, etc., & egg shells. No other cooked stuff so far until I know better.:&>
same as us really were using the hens for food whats the diffrence.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2009, 03:34:21 pm »
"It's not their "natural environment" it is my back garden, my property and I never invited them to take up residence."

its a fox we are taking about not pikies.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2009, 03:39:34 pm »
and if the Pixies ate my livestock they too would have to go...

lovespigs

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2009, 03:45:37 pm »
"It's not their "natural environment" it is my back garden, my property and I never invited them to take up residence."

its a fox we are taking about not pikies.

Even more bitching, the sun must bring you nutters out!!!!! I thought you Relic were going "off line", take that other fool with you and give the rest of us peace.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2009, 06:16:21 pm »
Hi,
Killing a fox or any other animal that is preying on domesticated animals/birds that are usually confined to a territory/area is in my opinion justified - we have a moral duty to protect the animals/birds we raise and by necessity confine - killing just for fun or entertainment is abhorrent and cannot be justified, but killing to protect your stock (providing it is done humanely) is just another aspect of being a smallholder - personally, I would think that being shot must be preferrable to being eaten alive!

Farmer

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2009, 06:35:40 pm »
Nicely put, Farmer. I didn't want to roll up a whole new discussion about fox hunting here as nothing will change my mind about it, but of course their are lots of folk with a different opinion and they will keep on doing what they do no matter what I think. :&>

sandy

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2009, 06:51:48 pm »
If we take it further, how can you decided what animal can be killed and what should not be killed, ie, rats, mice, snails, pigeons, squirrals etc..... As far as I am concerned, who would have a preditor living in their garden when it is full of livestock, it would be silly!!!

sandy

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »
P.S, I love Foxes, loyal animals but I would have no hesitation to kill one if it was taking my stock, I would hope to protect the stock otherwise the poor things would be just like living in a fast food outlet....and my married name was Foxon, the family had a farm very near Foxton!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS