Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Missing duck  (Read 26664 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Missing duck
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2009, 07:20:27 pm »
If we take it further, how can you decided what animal can be killed and what should not be killed, ie, rats, mice, snails, pigeons, squirrals etc..... As far as I am concerned, who would have a preditor living in their garden when it is full of livestock, it would be silly!!!

Well said Sandy, as you know there are few people that care as much for their animals as myself. I too would never wish to cause pain to any animal but sometimes it is unavoidable, as in this case.

lovespigs

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2009, 09:59:35 pm »
James I wish you every success in removing these preditors from your land and you once again can offer all your animals a safe enviroment.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2009, 10:08:21 pm »
No sightings of these buggers today and the geese seemed a lot calmer and spent most of their day on the river. The gamekeeper friend did not manage today but is coming tomorrow instead.

The ducklings are now staying at night in an old rabbit hutch, when Kenny went to put them to bed earlier 6 out of the 9 automatically took themselves off up the ramp themselves. This is the first night the ramp has been there, how clever is this group?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2009, 11:21:26 pm »
I was not disputing that we do have to make that decision sometimes, Sandy - just the method and the attitude of fox hunting I do not agree with - taking joy in the suffering of the animal. Environmental health takes care of rats, the cat takes care of mice, the ducks take care of the slugs and caterpillars but if I can't protect my cabbages from pigeons and partridges, it's my own fault, lol.
Hope all goes well with your gamekeeper friend, James! I hope we won't have to ask for his number one day...
Thanks for looking after the birds so well - and for training them to go up the ramp! As they will want to go with the others they will already know how to do that...we'll see you on Tuesday, but do you mind looking after our wee ones for another week, please? I am just concerned about them going into the night quarters with the others and me not being able to keep them separate whilst they are small (ish)  ? :&>

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2009, 11:40:54 pm »
Forgive me for jumping back into this thread, but I really must object to those who think that foxhunting is purely undertaken by those who enjoy witnessing the death of an animal. Living on the edges of Exmoor, I am surrounded by hunts, fox and stag. Those who hunt on a regular basis do not "enjoy" the kill, but rather, they enjoy the hunt, the day out, the riding across the moors etc..
At a wake for a now departed loyal hunt supporter just last week, I was chatting to one of the huntsman, and happened to mention that foxes were not high on my Christmas card list. His response was "you cannot possibly say that you hate an animal..." my answer was "yes I can, they are vermin who eat my poultry" - he said "well, that's generally what the hunt is for - control of vermin".....
Sorry to jump in - just my opinion on what I have witnessed, both as an observer, and as one who used to hunt, but can no longer do so, as having a smallholding, I can no longer afford the time off - especially during hunting season - i.e. winter.

sandy

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2009, 12:06:36 am »
I have never hunted but was married to a farmers son and lived in a hunting area and knew lots of people who both worked with the hunt and united themselves, like all people you cannot generalise but all I knew were very fond of animals, in fact a good friend, a very well thought of hunt member, she bred horses as a teenager, she was a friend of mine then, anyway, I have known her to pay for veterinary care , while on a Holiday, for a stray dog she saw, she loved all her animals and looked after them really well. OK, a fox or more may suffer for a while but, as I said previously, it takes a good shot to kill a Fox so many just die of lead shot wounds, much worse than having a chance however little, we after all get killed by predators, fast cars, criminals, wars and overuse of chemicals......I love to see the hunt and in an ideal world nothing would get killed but is the world ideal?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2009, 08:52:01 am »
Morning Kerstin, it is not a problem to keep them here as long as you need to. They are really having a great time and I think  they will miss their pals here once they are split up but as soon as they settle in with you they will be fine in no time.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2009, 03:10:06 pm »
"Even more bitching, the sun must bring you nutters out!!!!! I thought you Relic were going "off line", take that other fool with you and give the rest of us peace."

no need for the personal insults Lovespigs. just having a discussion.

amadán

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2009, 03:48:54 pm »
Thanks, James, see you tomorrow!

Obviously and naturally we do have different opinions there and different experiences with the hunt and their members. I do not want to get into details, I only shared my conclusions with you. My opinion matters nothing to "The Hunt" as such, so maybe we'll leave it at that...:&>

lovespigs

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2009, 04:01:26 pm »
"Even more bitching, the sun must bring you nutters out!!!!! I thought you Relic were going "off line", take that other fool with you and give the rest of us peace."

no need for the personal insults Lovespigs. just having a discussion.

amadán
I think Sir perhaps you should take a leaf out of your own book before you go on to preach! There  was no insult intended but it seems alot of what you pontificate is rather incensitive and downright rude at times. You seem hell bent on enforcing your feelings and opinions on others but are less than happy to let others do the same. Freedom of speach and all that.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2009, 04:13:49 pm »
Thank you all for the passionate debate. We like freedom of speech here, but respect and tolerance have to come first and this thread is in danger of crossing that line.

You're all free to go and take this debate onto another forum, but from very close personal experience I'm fairly certain we're not going to find a neutral position on fox hunting in my lifetime.

Let's move onto safer ground, like religion or politics.  ;)

Dan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS