Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Missing duck  (Read 26727 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Missing duck
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2009, 08:44:20 am »
Things look even worse this morning, a second fox has just been seen strutting aroound our land. This one is much smaller so probably the vixen, we are now on such tenterhooks. The good thing with this brilliant weather is the beer garden should hopefully have guests in it all day so the people will keep the buggers away! >:(

sandy

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 09:57:06 am »
It's still early for me but I am sure dogs are kept with herds of sheep to keep away fox's and also I think Llamas!! Maybe a HUGE MALE DOG kept with them from a pup, that is, when he is trained otherwise, the dog may have the lot!!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 03:02:39 pm »
Good bye Mr and Mrs Fox - tomorrow, all going to plan they will be no more.

Living with all these animals and knowing the fox are around is no fun. Earlier I shouted on Fred and Gizmo ( 3 month old BT Goats) and unusally they didn't come running and the 2 older ones were where I could see them. You instantly panic and fear the worst but at the same time know/hope  that they are too big for a fox. After a 5 minute panic they came running to greet me, they had been up the back field having a nosey.

I put a parasol out in the Pygmy Goat enclosure earlier and they love it! Spoilt or what?

sandy

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 03:10:44 pm »
I have a vison of your animals all in the sun and you running in and out with drinks and nibbles on a tray ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 03:17:44 pm »
Sandy you know they have a pampered life here ha ha ha.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 04:04:50 pm »
I can't wait to meet them all, James.  Bet you pamper your guests too!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2009, 05:50:25 pm »
Just been sorting out the fridge and mixed the contents all together, the chickens are enjoying, rice, haggis, sausage, jam, honey, cheese, wholemeal bread, tomato's, a few grapes, I could eat it myself  ;D

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2009, 09:32:31 pm »
i wonder what will be Mr and Mrs Fox's last meal. A condemned couple.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 10:23:07 pm »
Just been sorting out the fridge and mixed the contents all together, the chickens are enjoying, rice, haggis, sausage, jam, honey, cheese, wholemeal bread, tomato's, a few grapes, I could eat it myself  ;D
Can chickens eat these things without the eggs being tainted?  Anybody know?  If not I'll give mine a more varied diet in future; my poor things are deprived! ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2009, 10:32:58 pm »
Maybe there will be orphan cubs!! Oh dear :'( The funny thing is, I fels sooooo guilty putting snails and worms in for my chickens..

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 10:34:33 pm »
Do you think Mr and Mrs Fox think about who is left behind when they have their dinner? It is a vicious circle Sandy it really is.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2009, 11:01:58 pm »
the circle of life or the circle of death (by shotgun)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:23 pm »
That's the difference between human and animal - we have a choice, they don't! We have to look after our stock, they look after their cubs. We may think about it and feel sorry about the life we take (I had the thought about slugs and snail, Sandy, we're just softies!), they can't.
But  regarding the birds' diet, I was wondering about which leftovers were ok for ducks, does anyone know? At the moment they just get some veg, occasionally bread. pasta, rice, etc., & egg shells. No other cooked stuff so far until I know better.:&>

sandy

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:37 pm »
 ::)....gives me a chill.....reminds me of silence of the Lambs...............My daughter is on this forum and she had stuff eaten by Fox or foxes and one night her partner strung  up the reminds of something...Duck or Chicken and waited, then shot at the Fox as it came back. My father in Law, a farmer, used to say that Fox's have been seen to take new born lambs as they are born and, as everyone knows, they do not always eat all their kill!!!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2009, 11:15:50 pm »
we live in the countryside, wildlife is part of the countryside, i came out here to live with nature not to control components of nature that dont comply with my notions on how nature should be 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS