Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Missing duck  (Read 26711 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Missing duck
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 05:43:13 pm »
Thanks, Matilda has gone and won't be back I'm very sorry to say. Today again the geese are not happy chappies, they are staying on land and making a helluva noise. The ducks are in their pen, the ducklings in the shed and the hens now in the paddock with the Pygmy Goats. If this is how it has to be then so be it. Never had such a terrible week animal wise before.

I was always against Fox Hunting previously now I say they little buggers deserve all they get!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 06:34:51 pm »
I was always against Fox Hunting previously now I say they little buggers deserve all they get!

ah the classic "not in my backyard"

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 06:58:59 pm »
[ah the classic "not in my backyard"

[/quote]

I don't think there us any need for rudeness.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 07:33:05 pm »
im not being rude im sorry for your loss as i said earlier in this topic i lost 2 ducks last week but i dont blame the fox and to say that they deserve to be hunted/shot/poisoned just for doing what they do naturally in my opinion is a little harsh.

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 10:18:45 pm »
Without wishing to unleash untold controversy, I fail to see how anyone who owns / has owned chickens / poultry, and has been the subject of a fox attack can possibly have an ounce of sympathy for them. For starters, we have had fox attacks resulting in numerous deaths, when we have hundreds of bunnies loitering but one acre away - sadly, my chickens are a far easier target - and therefore not that natural at all - naturally, they would have to chase to kill, not plunder the contents of a chicken house! Sorry - but I am not a fan of the fox..or the badger...or the sparrowhawk..or the stoat...or the weasel - all of which have at some point over the years filled their  stomachs courtesy of my poultry!! By the way sorry to hear about Matilda - I love RIR's bantam or otherwise - a sad loss.
Also, my best fox prevention tip is my Golden Guernsey Billy Goat, Pippin. Whenever he is grazing around my chicken pens, a fox attack is as rare as rocking horse s***. I don't know if it's the smell that he exudes, or the fact that he is well used to my dogs, and will actively headbutt anything that he dislikes, but I worry about my birds considerably less when I know that he is out there keeping an eye on them..... Anyone else use a Billy as a chicken guard-dog??????

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 10:25:34 pm »
Thanks, I have 3 male goats and a female wandering with the hens and ducks and often the 7 Pygmy's are out there too but sadly all the boys are neutered so they don't do the trick here.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 10:44:43 pm »
My GWP bitch used to be sent out last thing at night to ward of any marauders.  Not only is she large but her bark would 'fear the deil', and she left her mark right around the whole perimeter of our land, and the neighbours'.  Took her about half an hour every night.  Never saw a fox in 10 years on our own place, but nearby farm shot a number of them on their various shoots. They just had poncy little collies  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 11:49:04 pm »

I can't believe Mathilda is gone, James, she was such a lovely bird! I hope this is it now for you!

One's perspective towards predators just changes as soon we have our own birds to protect.

I still do not approve of fox hunting as a sport, though. I do not approve of reintroducing sea eagles in inhabited areas either.
:&>

sandy

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 08:12:41 am »
Sorry for your loss, I should imajine you are now on tenderhooks, I know I would be and are extra secure but like I said, it's nature, even humans are subject to preditors. I have read that male urine is just the same for marking the territory, maybe you should go out when knowone is looking and weeeeeeeeee everywhere around the perimitor ;) you could ask male guests to do the same, they also say hair clippings does the trick as well!!!  In retrospect at least know one is stealing them as I know people do have lifestock stolen, anyway another day another dollar, or two :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 01:10:11 pm »
yes, reading that, Sandy, I remembered that we had asked the local hairdresser for a bag of hair for the same reason: human smell - it is supposed to keep foxes out if you spread it all around your fence. Must pick it up soon! That might help you, James, do you have a salon in Guardbridge you could ask? :&>

sandy

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 01:17:36 pm »
Not sure if the hair has to be male,  think female hair is not powerful enough, all those dyes and products, although men use them as well I should imagine the male smell will come through as you know, you can tell a lot from hair!!! ::)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 01:26:21 pm »
Hi,
You can have some of my hair... at the rate that the magpie's are stealing our eggs I'm tearing it out anyway! (where's my gun?)

Farmer

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 02:12:21 pm »
shame the guys don't have that much cut off usually...I have to take what I get, don't think the hairdresser is willing or able to separate genders! Farmer, we do have a large fence, how long is your hair? :&>

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 05:10:51 pm »
Only around a couple of inches I'm afraid - but if you laid it end-to-end maybe you could at least cover a couple of feet or so - colour very light grey/white, so should show up in the moon light!

Must be good stuff, one of my pet goats always tries to take a nibble when he can, although just lately he's taken to eating the fleece off one of the rams - poor ram looks like he's been trimmed for a saddle - no idea why the goat does this, but the ram seems to enjoy it just as much - good job I don't sell the fleece!

Farmer

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 10:33:35 pm »
We have a friend out cutting back all the over growth and he has just seen a fully grown male fox, he, like Kenny says it is a big beast. This afternoon we found a hole that is definately for fox. Our friend from Animal Welfare, Fife Council is trying to contact a Game Keeper friend of hers which will hopefully get rid of Mr Fox once and for all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS