Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question for the fella's  (Read 16792 times)

Mel

Question for the fella's
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:32 am »
Hi Fella's ;)

I need a cordless drill ok,I bought this draper 18v thing as we have no power at the bottom of the smallholding,it cost £150.00 and has two batteries with it,trouble is,it is around 6months of age and the batteries last about half a dozen screws.(though it has been used almost constantly)

I saw somewhere that the 24v are better,but I need a lighter weight one with lost of power,ok,one job which needs doing is the greenhouses to be screwed down to the slabs,this Draper can drill one hole and then goes flat.So something which is capable of drilling 10 holes in slabs and then screw in the screws as well! ???

I have trawled the internet for 3 hours tonight-hence being up so late looking for something suitable and it is all way over my head.I don't want one of these sds drills as they look really heavy and I have no idea what sds means.I need something which shall at least have the battery life to do one job from start to finish-like the greenhouses,I do not wish to spend fortunes as I cannot justify it and and have other things on my plate at the moment,even better if anyone has a good second hand one to sell I would appreciate it,if not,Please can you point me in the right direction!

p.s. Please I do not do Chinese sorry and all that but nope,having seen a lot of the musical instruments produced by them I would not touch them with a barge pole!

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Question for the fella's
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:17:52 am »
This is where they have you by the wotsits. The tools are cheap but the batteries are expensive and are mostly Chinese.

You want light and powerful but battery powered and costing small change?  I wish.

Older batteries are NiCd, more capacity comes with NiMH but at greater cost, now there's LiIon but guess what the price is even steeper.  I can't see that changing voltage to 24 helps because it's capacity you need.

All the tool companies are doing "special offers" all the time of course.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:37:38 am »
its also about the capacity of the batteries

i have a full kit of the dewalt 18v NiMh system (haven't upgraded to LiIon yet) with the 2.6Ah batteries (they do some 1.3Ah which are rubbish) this is good kit not the stuff you see in DIY sheds...

The batteries are getting on a bit 4 years old now so don't last as long but from new 1 battery would have done all 10 of the holes in the concrete you wanted...

Downside the drill plus 2 batteries and charger would be at least £300

If you want i can give you model numbers etc

How far is it from power to the bottom of the small holding?
For really tough drilling i use a mains SDS drill and as i use it in some difficult sites have 200m of power cable to allow me to use it where i need... but then i also need mains for other tools so were worth the investment.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:52:44 am »
i use a leaded drill for heavy drilling also, would it not be  better to just replace the batteries for your existing drill?

Mel

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:11:04 am »
i use a leaded drill for heavy drilling also, would it not be  better to just replace the batteries for your existing drill?
I had thought of this but it is around half the price I originally paid and thought what is the point if they are only going to last 6 months. ???

Small Farmer and Bloomer:
Now there you go getting all technical on me ;D ,I do not understand the principles about batteries,i.e.Lion,Nimh and nicad even though my late father was a whizz with all of this!The bottom is probably 300 yards or so,I have never measured it though I have an electric extension cable which is 50 metres and only goes from the top shed to the beginning of the field,I would certainly need to buy 3 to 4 more ' 50 metres to reach where I need it to.so they are about £40 ish each,that's £160.00

So,do I just buy an extra 4 extension leads-only I have never found one longer than 50 metres long!??!
Bloomer,yes please send the model numbers and I guess I shall have to have a good think about which is best in the long run.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:22:24 am »
ok model numbers will have to wait till tonight as i have stuff i'm supposed to be doing but batteries is easy
generally cheapest shortest life span though...

NiMh is Nickel Metal Hydride, these are better they do have memory but it takes a lot longer to build up and they can in part be rejuvenated by fully discharging and recharging over a12hr period, eventually they still wear out...

LiIon, Lithium Ion, the current dogs danglies, developed to meet the demands of the mobile phone industry and upsized for tools, these are expensive (for my kit £100 each) but in theory have no memory so should last a lot longer, i haven't tested them for big kit but i have a few in smaller tools and they are great...

Mel

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:34:05 am »
ok model numbers will have to wait till tonight as i have stuff i'm supposed to be doing but batteries is easy
generally cheapest shortest life span though...

NiMh is Nickel Metal Hydride, these are better they do have memory but it takes a lot longer to build up and they can in part be rejuvenated by fully discharging and recharging over a12hr period, eventually they still wear out...

LiIon, Lithium Ion, the current dogs danglies, developed to meet the demands of the mobile phone industry and upsized for tools, these are expensive (for my kit £100 each) but in theory have no memory so should last a lot longer, i haven't tested them for big kit but i have a few in smaller tools and they are great...
Thank you Bloomer!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:38:29 am »
Erm Leghorn - surley you mean "folks" not "fellas"?

RMB Equal Opps  :wave:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Mel

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:02:10 am »
Erm Leghorn - surley you mean "folks" not "fellas"?

RMB Equal Opps  :wave:
Sorry about that Beewyched ,(I am all for it btw  ;) :wave: ) I live in a village where all the other women would give me that strange expression if I asked the same question,I have done before and they all say,Ask Bill or Pete etc etc. ;D Though they are all rather amazed at what I have done with my smallholding in the belief that I am some sort of super hero :o Not btw! My late Gran did build all her walls around her farm by hand :thumbsup:  so I guess it is in my blood!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:14 am »
No probs Lh   :thumbsup:

Our landlords think we're both completely mad too!

Re the drill - my OH does most of that, I'll ask her later when she's back from her work.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Mel

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:13 am »
No probs Lh   :thumbsup:

Our landlords think we're both completely mad too!

Re the drill - my OH does most of that, I'll ask her later when she's back from her work.
Brilliant,Thank you ;) :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27:01 am »
now now ladies we just have the sex never mind the equality bit
anyway   sds = is a type of chuck  quick realease and no chance of it spinning in the chuck like ordinary ones that work with a key also you do not have any thing to lose
best cordless thing is a gennie      batteries run out when you have a pressing job to do just the same as thermall cut out switches with welders
where tools are made    well it would surprise you       the best equipment is hilti but that is now made by Bosch were ever  Bosch get them made     Chinese shite will always be Chinese shite but there are better made Chinese ones look a t japan they reinvented the British  motor bike and car (the original designs were British)
tools just now are a good price the building trade is buggered so they have to sell to somebody it is just getting the right one  :farmer:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 09:58:46 am »
OK maybe I am the wrong sex, and I must admit I don't understand the technicalities - but over the years I have had to buy equipment for various "blokes" who have worked for me, and on the basis they can normally b&^%$£r most pieces of equipment up fairly quickly however expensive it happened to be - on the drill front I have normally gone to my local discount store for a biggish but cheap one (normally around the £50 mark) then binned it when it "broke"

However I have often thought the way forward might have been a small generator

http://www.powerproduct.co.uk/budget-power-generators.html  as it would service  other pieces of equipment as well. 

I am pleased to report that the current contingent of "helpers" this year seem to be of a higher standard than in the past though time will tell, we are currently trying to get the mower (that the last "helper" b**^%$*d up ) back into working order so we can at last mow the lawns.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 11:20:56 am »
No use for drilling into concrete, but for many small jobs a hand drill (brace and bit) works fine no need for batteries or a power source.  We have a great big old drill which belonged to my OHs grandad, plus a modern one which has lasted for ages, and both are used a lot.  We also have a battery powered drill which currently lasts a fair while but as someone else says always runs out just when you need it.  For a big job away from power we use a generator, which we bought for all the power cuts we used to get and mainly now use for the log splitter but does come in useful for drills, electric saw and so on.

Isn't it always the same though - you just want to do a quick job but first you have to sort out lots of other things so it becomes a huge task instead of something simple  ::)     I just want to plant out my potatoes, but first I have to move the old strawberry bed and before I can move that I have to prepare the new strawberry bed to move the good plants into, but the new area is full of nettles and thistles.........and once I've moved the strawberry bed I still have to weed it and rotavate it and manure it before I can put the spuds in (should have done it last autumn but I have been ill)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »
now fleecewife don't be going and overdoing things       it will get done sometime just when is the big question
i have an auger (the ones they used on old ships i also have a brace and bit  and the first power drill i ever bought (a black and Decker two speed  that is 43 years old and still works ) a makita slow speed drill that would break your wrists if not carefull a DE Walt cordless drill for these silly things and a hilti Te35 drill/ demolition hammer for drilling into the whin stone and concrete      a tool for every job  ;) :D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS