Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question for the fella's  (Read 16788 times)

Mel

Re: Question for the fella's
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 07:36:54 pm »
Did I start something here ;D

You know I recently turned down the offer of buying a silent diesel generator from a neighbour whom was asking £1200 no questions asked :o all I know it was quite big,on wheels and yellow :-[ He said it would have been £5000 new..mmmm.I do not have this type of spare cash hanging around and I think he is a bit of a rogue.Or I get that impression from him.

This is a good idea though and like fleecewife said,it is always when you are in the middle of something,all I want to do is make ten holes to screw down the greenhouse and it has become a major event!

Robert,Thank you for explaining sds I think I get it now though have seen these sds drills and they look huge!Though I am no Russian shot putter by far :D ! I know like musical instruments,the Chinese ones are becoming better,but none of them sound like any of my vintage Saxophones.No where near,and the build quality leaves a lot to be desired,on that I would prefer perhaps German or something else with a bit of quality but without costing the earth-if there is such a thing :) .

Even though I rather took a gamble with this 18V cordless Draper and it has lasted since last June-both batteries are useless now,I could buy two more,then they last another 8 months or so and have to go through the process again so I think i should probably accept defeat and buy something expensive..oooh,now that is going to be hard as not being rude,but I look at a drill and say it cost's £200.00,I just cannot fathom why it is so expensive,Do you know how many bottles of Miss Dior that is hehe! ;D ;) But there again,I am so tired of not being able to finish things off,on this side,I could,reluctantly part with more cash than I really wish to!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 07:44:05 pm »

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-xrp-dcd925b2-gb-18v-2-6ah-ni-mh-cordless-combi-drill/55060

well thats the current version of what i use alot!!!

mine is 5 years old (i just checked the accounts to see when i bought it) of the 2 origianal batteries 1 would still hold enough charge to drill your 10 holes assuming not ridiculously hard concrete... the other battery is totally shot but it did get dropped in a bucket of water once which didn't help.

I have 3 other batteries of exactly the same type at least 3 years old and they are all still doing fine...

Would i buy another one oh yes...

but not from screwfix there are cheaper places out there they were just easy to find a link!!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 07:44:56 pm »
your paying for the quality of the motor and components, drills, particularly hammer drills take alot of stick!£200 isnt expensive for a good cordless, you could spend double that.

a drill is only as good as the bit in the chuck ;)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 07:49:35 pm »
and whilst i'm thinking about it good quality drill bits will make drilling concrete so much easier...

old blunt drill bits are a waste of time good quality sharp bits will make the job much easier, hence enhancing battery life...

deepinthewoods

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 07:57:43 pm »
nice drill bloomer! im a bosch blue man meself. im still using one of theirs, sds hammer with rotostop, that i bought secondhand 10yrs ago.

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »
on drill bits you cant do better than hilti drill bits  whin stone is the hardest stone there is  and there bits go through it like balsa wood  hilti have also reduced there prices and they deliver as well :farmer:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 08:21:26 pm »
nice drill bloomer! im a bosch blue man meself. im still using one of theirs, sds hammer with rotostop, that i bought secondhand 10yrs ago.

my sds kit is bosch and i love it...

Mel

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 08:49:22 pm »
your paying for the quality of the motor and components, drills, particularly hammer drills take alot of stick!£200 isnt expensive for a good cordless, you could spend double that.

a drill is only as good as the bit in the chuck ;)
Ah,now there is a point,the drill bits we have were given to us in a set,blue flimsy box with silverline on the front.

Mel

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 08:51:04 pm »
eBay.co.uk/itm/DeWalt-DCD925B2-GB-DCD925B2-Cordless-XRP-Combi-Drill-18v-2-x-Batteries-/390370176539?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item5ae3e02e1b#ht_1755wt_1270]http://www. eBay.co.uk/itm/DeWalt-DCD925B2-GB-DCD925B2-Cordless-XRP-Combi-Drill-18v-2-x-Batteries-/390370176539?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item5ae3e02e1b#ht_1755wt_1270

and thats the same drill at a price i would part with money for it!!!
Mmm,I can go to that you know.Thanks for that Bloomer  :thumbsup:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:23 pm »
the drill bits with silverline on the box, treat yourself to something better you don't need every size so buy a single bit that is the size you need of a good make and you will be impressed by the difference.

Mel

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 08:58:26 pm »
on drill bits you cant do better than hilti drill bits  whin stone is the hardest stone there is  and there bits go through it like balsa wood  hilti have also reduced there prices and they deliver as well :farmer:
Is this ok Robert?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hilti-TC-C-12-17-12mm-SDS-drill-bit-NEW-/251037420426?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3a72ff0b8a

Mel

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 09:13:03 pm »
the drill bits with silverline on the box, treat yourself to something better you don't need every size so buy a single bit that is the size you need of a good make and you will be impressed by the difference.
I have just posted a link to one on the ebay,is this a good deal and like Robert said about the quality will they last?

Thanks again Bloomer

robert waddell

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 09:16:44 pm »
yes that is the ones but remember  there are three types of sds    sds    sds plus and sds max :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »
Ok, my OH says hers is a B&Q "own brand" 18v one.  Though can't remember what it's called & I'm not going out to look for it in the dark  :o

She's had it for over a year & it's been used on all manner of things - pig housing, chuck runs, mending the pig trailor when the gale blew half a byre roof onto it, putting-up new desks at her office (& she's the manager  ::) )  both batteries are going well still - don't know if it's got anything to do with the fact she totally flatlines the batteries before she charges them again.

Oh, the bitys that came with it are pretty crap, so she uses old ones from previous drills we've murdered in the past  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS