Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question for the fella's  (Read 16843 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: Question for the fella's
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 09:33:20 pm »
silverline are bargain basement, buy a good brand of drillbit, youll never look back, hilti are the mutts. i highly rate makita drills, my drivers batteries are just wearing out now, after 6yrs.

Mel

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »
yes that is the ones but remember  there are three types of sds    sds    sds plus and sds max :farmer:
Ohh Robert ;D ,now I am completely lost ??? ,what on earth is the difference between them all and which is suitable for my needs please! :D

robert waddell

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 09:44:58 pm »
the drill bits have writting on them or embossed with what sds fitting they are but remember if you buy them the drill bits  and get a better drill it would have to have the same chuck      the big hilti drill i have has interchangeable chucks to suit the bits :farmer:

Mel

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 09:54:02 pm »
Do they do normal ones too? ???

robert waddell

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 09:58:57 pm »
normal what do you mean  :farmer:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:14 pm »
non sds i'm guessing

deepinthewoods

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »
normal would be a tightening chuck. sds and sds plus are interchangeable. sds max are not.
get a good sds drill mel and a good set of bits.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 11:36:32 pm »
Its not well known that DeWalt is the name Black & Decker put on tradesman's tools.  which is not being rude about B&D - I'm very happy with my 18v tools and battery life is good. 

They often do good deals on the drills cos when you have the drill and a coupe of batteries you're going to buy the saw or whatever that uses the same batteries aren't you?

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 10:20:49 am »
My advice to you is to go down to a local wood yard that supplies timber, fencing and roofing materials as they will also supply the tools that the blokes in that line of work are using.
Over the last year I have had to replace the roof on my place of work. Whilst watching the 'chippies/roofers/etc' do the job, they use fantastic little power drill / screw drivers. These machines caught my eye. After batting on doing other jobs with my old cordless and trusty traditional Hitachi wired drill of 25yrs vintage, I knew it was time to up date, particular with regards to working in the field, knocking timber boxes together out of old pallets and such like. So I asked one of the lads at the wood yard. They have Bosch and other good brands, but I have ended up with a Millwaukee, I presume American badged, made I know not, but it is awesome. Very small, two small batteries that last, I mean last and helish powerfull, will send No 8 screws in to wood and build a box on a pallet on one battery. It also fits into my day sack. (Small ruck sack that goes everywhere with me, a good military skill).
It cost £150. I was in the garden centre purchasing seeds, 5 plastic seed trays ... £7.00 ?? I have knocked 2 biggens together out of old wood and ply in the time it would take me to earn £7.00.
"It's the man (person) with the tools that counts". My old man often sez!
Money is worthless, Bankers are ***$*?kers, purchase a good drill and keep it in your Day Sack / Hand Bag (delete as applicable ). You know it makes sense.  :thumbsup:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Mel

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 10:24:00 am »
non sds i'm guessing
Yes that's right  :D

Mel

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 10:29:26 am »
normal would be a tightening chuck. sds and sds plus are interchangeable. sds max are not.
get a good sds drill mel and a good set of bits.
Trouble is,they look so heavy.I bought an almost  new electric drill off of the ebay a few weeks ago,and did not take much notice of this-the size,it also is a Draper 1100W hammer drill identical to the link below,it arrived and I just cannot lift it to use it,so this was a waste of money as far as I can see!I have to resell this one now,what a nightmare. I only paid £29.00 for it including p&p so I do not think it was dear,but imagine it arriving and not being able to lift it. :-[

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-76478-1100W-230V-Hammer-Drill-/280763312050?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item415ecc27b2

Mel

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:33:00 pm by Dan »

robert waddell

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 10:55:48 am »
£75 for a new draper drill the same model  it does look big
the normal chucks when used with the rottary hammer action can lock and be an absolute bugger to free off that is why they invented the sds system  far easier to change the drill bits even girllies can change them
just think of the old fashioned system with a four pointed chisel rottated by hand/wrist and battered with a hammer at the same time and a plug of wood inserted
i will get photos taken and post them latter today of the drills and drill bits :farmer:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 11:12:12 am »
Second hand genarater 1/2 kva makita drill second hand tool sale local mart drill all day.

robert waddell

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 06:15:23 pm »
shows the differance betwean sds and sds max
shows the tips of the drill bits the four star head is hilti the other is a cheaper drill bit that the tungsten tip wears down and falls off
showing the tip of a drill bit
the size differance betwean a battery drill and a hilti :farmer:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:20:19 pm by robert waddell »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS