Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: knitting wrist warmers/fingerless gloves  (Read 27055 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: knitting wrist warmers/fingerless gloves
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2011, 05:47:20 pm »
Here are my wrist warmers - one long and one short pair.  The short ones have extra stitches worked to enclose the thumb, but with the longer ones I simply sewed a spot on the top casting off between the thumb and forefinger, so in both pairs the main thumb joint is covered.
When I make more I will knit them on four needles so there is no seam.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:20:25 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2011, 07:32:47 pm »
I suppose I could work on one for ankle warmers, do you mean short leg warmers or stirrup like toesless/heel less socks?

ooooohhhhh yes please      stirrup ones,....... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mx

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2011, 08:01:08 pm »
looks like I'm going to have to get sheep and learn to spin lol  ;D ;D can't find anywhere in our town that sells wool  :'( :'(
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2011, 11:24:55 pm »
Fleecewife they look great.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2011, 11:53:07 pm »
looks like I'm going to have to get sheep and learn to spin lol  ;D ;D can't find anywhere in our town that sells wool  :'( :'(

Ach, I'm originally from Walsall and there are no saddlers there anymore; everyone in Newcastle buys Russian coal ...  ::)

Anyways, life in the 21st Century being as it is, there seem to be plenty of online retailers.  I can't yet vouch for any of these but they may be of interest:

http://www.celticove.com/acatalog/Discount_Clearance_Yarns.html
http://www.blacksheepwools.com/index.html
http://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/sale-packs-of-wool-and-yarn-469-c.asp
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2011, 08:51:10 am »
Thanks Sally  :thumbsup:

I really like the look of some of the stuff on the sites, but don't tell my OH  ;D ;D  as I quite fancy some wooly friends :sheep:  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:  ::)
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2011, 09:55:30 am »

Try ebay as well there are reasonable prices. I am lucky as there is a wool lady that does the market on a weekend up at our local livestock market, she sells cheap and cheerful wool that is great for wristwarmers, hats and scarfs to work around the holding. I do buy special wools in so that I can make things to sell and nice 'posh' things for going out.

Fleecewife I am loving your wristwarmers and yes you can knit on 3 or 4 needles but that is a bit complex for beginners and that is who the pattern was aimed at originally. I am working on more patterns for beginners as I remember a friend really struggling with patterns as they said beginner but didn't explain the abbreviations or how to complete that stitch, so I was thinking of some pictures to show people some of the stitches included in the pattern

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2011, 10:49:23 am »

..... the wrist warmers look great Fleecewife ,I love the short multi coloured ones" very trendy"  and would make smashing Christmas gifts :xmas:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »
I remember a friend really struggling with patterns as they said beginner but didn't explain the abbreviations or how to complete that stitch, so I was thinking of some pictures to show people some of the stitches included in the pattern

Yes please!!! Your pattern is the first that I can understand on first reading  :thumbsup:
I'm afraid my wristwarmers may only emerge in about February...  :-\

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2011, 04:51:51 pm »

Yes please!!! Your pattern is the first that I can understand on first reading  :thumbsup:
I'm afraid my wristwarmers may only emerge in about February...  :-\

I have any easier quicker pattern for wrist warmers if you can find super chunky wool. If so PM me and I'll give you some details to get your handwarm by the end of tomorrow

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2011, 11:49:58 pm »
Aww thank you but it's not the pattern, it's the tools (I'm now working one handed. Don't worry - other hand is still attached!)  :bouquet:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2011, 01:09:18 am »
I've once or twice  got a pair  of well darned  and reholed holed long woollen wellie socks before now and cut the foot off  , carefully picked back till I can get a full run through without breaks , over stitched it all with wool and then sewn the finger and thumb holes in .
My lass called them my " tramps gloves" but as they were well up past my forearms I wasn't bothered .
 I never got on with the partial finger glove for some strange reason , suppose it was that the finger bit always got pushed  back into the joint and as my hand curled round handles it made lifting things a bit difficult.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2011, 06:54:53 am »
Hi - I have made three pairs - one for me and two for OH.  He has big hands so I just casted on a few extra stitches.  Simples!!.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2011, 08:29:18 am »
I love it because they are simples.

I have just finished a super chunky cabled pair that are very funky/grunge. It is amazing the different looks you can get from different wools/colours and pattern from a basic idea.

It is something I can make for my shops that I don't get bored with because I can change them very quickly and a simple cowl to go with them makes a lovely set.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2011, 11:46:56 am »
Funky grungy wristwarmers with organic cable design

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS