Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nose rings  (Read 25860 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Nose rings
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:26 pm »
Oaklandspigs, what is SSSI land?

Thanks,

Eve  :wave:

waterhouse

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 10:57:20 pm »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 08:10:48 am »
Hi I am sorry if my reply came across as a criticism of your question.  I admit I do have a horror of nose rings and farrowing crates.  I dont see the justification for either.  But its all relative.  Far better a nose ringed pig (although still abhorant in my eyes) than one confined in a tiny space. 

(If ever any of my postings offend please let me know - I have a terrible habit of putting things badly and often not meant in the way it comes out   -  its my age!!!)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 09:06:40 am »
Eve,

The link Waterhouse posted says it all.  Basically its land that the Gov want to maintain.  Our sellers rent land with the boundary next to one, so no-one wanted run-off into the area, hence the ring.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

waterhouse

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 10:16:15 am »
There's over an acre of land next to us which we're offering to manage because it's not been used in 20 years (house with a paddock but no pony or kids).  It's just tall weeds - nettles, thistles, ragwort - so fattening some pigs seem to be the obvious way to plough it all up before re-seeding next year or the year after.  We don't have pigs so am I on the right track and would an electric fence keep them off the main road or would we need to use stock fencing?  And what about pigs and ragwort?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 11:31:12 am »
Pigs are the ideal way to clear much of that ground; you will find odd patches they don't do so much damage to. As for ragwort i've never seen a pig go near it they just seem to know it's no good .I would be wary of having electric fencing as the only thing between them and a main road things do go wrong with leccy fencing although not too often; but squished pig is no good for the plate never mind all the other bother an escape would cause.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 02:35:14 pm »
An easy job to pull the ragwort before you put pigs in. Take it outside of the land before composting or burning.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 05:25:28 pm »
Waterhouse,

Concur with Gavo, you will need a stock fence and electric fence to protect against the main road.  Whilst if trained to an electric fence (you must do this first), pigs will normally stay behind it, you would not want to be the one feeling terrible as you caused a death by someone crashing to avoid your hitting pig - not worth the risk!

So stock fencing on the road side.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 05:59:58 pm »
Definitely have double fencing electric and stock fence near any road.  (Once had to rescue the village from Hilary)!!!  For clearing anything pigs are fantastic.  Although any trees under about 15 years of age dont stand much chance. 

waterhouse

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 10:14:43 pm »
Ouch thats 250m of stock fence.  I guess the electric fence is to protect the stock fence.  Oh well at least I have a pair of monkey strainers.

One of the reasons for taking the land is that it's upwind of all my other land so its vast stock of weeds is spreading seed all over mine.   I don't share the view that pulling the ragwort will be easy but at least its all dying back at the moment

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 10:33:43 am »
My pigs have never touched ragwort, they do clear absolutely everything else even those really aggressive thistles (not scottish thistles the ones with huge leaves with multiple spears on the ends) bramble too.  They root them up eventually.  Our land doesnot bear any comparison to before pigs. 

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 03:07:00 pm »
After SSI land (thankyou for the explanations!) there's another word that's baffling me: monkey strainers. Uuuhhh, what's that?  ???

(I suppose it shows I had to grow up in the city! :D)

robert waddell

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 03:33:50 pm »
a type of wire strainers

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 05:10:51 pm »
Thought so, but in the shape of a monkey?  :D
Think I'm straying a bit from the original subject of this posting, sorry about that Pikilily!  :)

Eve  :wave:

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 05:56:40 pm »
No prob, I love it when we get collective mind drift.... makes me feel less alone!  :-[
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS