Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nose rings  (Read 25861 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Nose rings
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 01:14:31 pm »
Lillian - the happy pig company.....were they not shut down???

robert waddell

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 08:55:32 pm »
when and where were they trading

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2010, 12:29:35 am »
I dunno, thought that company had welfare issues last year...I could be wrong

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2010, 09:12:52 am »
Try googling it on River Cottage in the pig section, if its the one I am thinking of there was quite a bit of activity on the site concerning this a couple of years back.

robert waddell

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2010, 09:33:35 am »
THE BASTARDS STOLE MY TRADING NAME

robert waddell

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2010, 11:48:33 am »
goggled the forkers, it appears every man and his dog has a stake in the happy pig company. The ones that was referred to the two computer geeks should never have been allowed near any animal and from what I can see they have been banned from animals in the future. I would like to point out that we have been trading from 2001 without any issues. When we started it was to get a quirky name. I had considered the Mary Ann Meat Company but if any film buffs are out there you will remember this from the film Prime Cut. Our nature dictated something different. I remember an American car magazine from over 40 years ago advertising printed t shirts 1 was fly united (2 geese mating on the wing) the other was 2 pigs mating hence the Makin Bacon and may I add it is incorporating the happy pig company well we know that they are happy that is until they go to slaughter. Will add the company logo when the kids come back from school. Every where we have travelled with the trailer it has created amusement and if we can brighten up  other people's day that is a bonus. Sorry for hijacking the site but it is something we feel very angry that arseholes can screw other people's ambitions and desires basically sausageand cash (Irish) think the happy pig company (south england) is trading in Scotland Please dont think i am getting at sausageandcash it is the very opposite we are delighted that this was brought to our attention.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:36:23 pm by lillian waddell »

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2010, 12:18:35 pm »
I share your anger after I Googled and found this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1247548/The-Unhappy-Pig-Company-How-hogs-bred-costly-organic-firm-died-squalid-conditions--survivors-resorted-cannibalism.html

It is very important that those of us, inspired by John Seymour, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and others, who are rearing some chickens and pigs etc, should not tolerate those who see the alternative lifestyle as a get-rich-quick venture at the expense of animal welfare.
We should make it our business to check out the holdings of those who set up stall in our farmers markets and ensure that all animals are treated humanely.
There was nothing alternative about the Happy Pig Company (not the Cavan one). Those pigs would have been better off in a factory farm.

I have long been of the opinion that we should have a home-pig association that would set standards and campaign against unwarranted regulation (I expect new taxes and restrictions to curtail us in favour of factory farmers).

If any other Irish-based posters want to help set up Muintir na Muice (the Pig People) I would be happy to put a bit of effort into it. Meanwhile, I'll be up to Cavan shortly for some of that bacon as my freezer has run dry.

PhilBen

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Smallholder Directory
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2010, 04:39:24 am »
I don't know all the facts about it but if it causes pain or stress then it shold not be done.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:26 pm »
I suppose nose rings are the piggie version of human shackles......need I say anymore!

P.S Muc - Muintir na Muice saor-raoin? Cad a ceapan tu?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:43:50 pm by sausagesandcash »

robert waddell

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 08:44:29 am »
in  liz, s photos the pig is nuzzling the chain the nose ring just prevents them from digging( tender snout)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 10:08:03 am »
I'm not talking 'bout the photo. In my humble opinion nose rings are akin to shackles.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 10:30:04 am »
IMO - nose rings are like tetheringhorses or keeping dogs chained up all the time, not allowing the animal to live naturally.  I dont think the need to keep the ground in good condition is an acceptable reason for nose rings.  If you cant let them live naturally then dont keep them. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS