Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 28944 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2020, 04:24:56 pm »
Well, I've got a bad cough for last week.

We usually "click and collect" from asda and have been doing so akfor at least a year. Only going in for extra milk etc. But we tried the last week and there was no available slots for next TWO WEEKS (the system only allows tmto book that far). Therefore we will have to go inside the shop again although I would prefer to avoid it atm.

Should your household not isolate for 14 days if you have a cough?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2020, 05:41:49 pm »
Exactly. We are not going anywhere for last two weeks anyway tbh
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2020, 05:55:33 pm »
I had a groceries delivery last Friday - Morrisons, a lot of things I ordered weren't delivered.  Can't get another delivery - in a queue permanently. 

I've run out of bread, but I'm looking at that as a good thing given my weight problems  :innocent:  and i do have some bread flour and yeast if I get desperate.  :coat:

I bought extra milk (semi skimmed) and frozen it, so I'm fine for that.

However, I was told that I am in the category where I should be shielding and I should have received a letter telling me what i should be doing and offering support - it hasn't arrived yet - why?  Because our poor posties went on strike for a few days when their sorting staff were told they had to continue working as normally - far less than 2 metres apart.   :rant:   My dad was a sorting office supervisor so I know that it is possible to alternate sorting stations.  Our postal service is classed as essential so they must be protected too.

Their union told them to go back to work immediately and that the safety methods would be implemented as soon as possible.  That can't come soon enough in my book.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2020, 06:20:33 pm »
At the moment without postal services - royal mail, parcelforce and all the others they would be no business whatsoever. No idea what we would do. We have soooooo many online orders to dispatch every day its unbelievable! We obviously had to close our actual physical shop in town for time being.
On a plus side - we just got baby goats! Two girls! Saanen/Toggenburg cross! One looks like saanen (pure white) and the other like pure toggenburg , although they are twins lol

My Derbyshire Redcap bantams finally started laying this week! Muscovy ducks ar mating all the time so we are expecting a lot of ducklings soon  :fc:

Also I finally had so much time at home that I could start a kid proof (both goat kid and human kid) fence!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:22:32 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2020, 07:15:10 pm »

The BEEB website has recipes for Soda Bread, No Yeast Pizza Dough (using natural live yoghourt), and flat breads.  There seems to be NO yeast or bread flour anywhere, although I did get a bag last week from our local bakery so am OK for a bit.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2020, 10:22:38 pm »

The BEEB website has recipes for Soda Bread, No Yeast Pizza Dough (using natural live yoghourt), and flat breads.  There seems to be NO yeast or bread flour anywhere, although I did get a bag last week from our local bakery so am OK for a bit.
There were offers at Tesco's month ago! I knew I should have bought it! They had 25kg bag of chapatti flour for £10. Now theres no flour at all. Luckily we still have 2 bags of 2kg of bread flour - still unopened.

We have tried making yogurt pizza dough once - it was actually really nice!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2020, 06:36:03 pm »
Well I'm doing my bit as a retired nurse. Volunteering to make doctors scrubs (tops and pants) out of my old sheets, I have 3 king size should should be able to sew about 4 outfits from all that lot! Hospital in Shetland put out a plea for fabric and sewers to make them - seems they just can't keep up with the demand for fresh outfits and laundering - what has this country come to  ::) anyway I'll be a bit busy for a while, wish me luck  :relief:

Polyanya , I saw the BBC Scotland news briefing this evening, That was you . wasn't it ?
Very well done for a constructive contribution , its times like these that bring out the best in folk, Thank you for making a difference .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2020, 08:32:18 pm »
Links and times to see it on iPlayer would be appreciated ;)

Well done Polyanya.   :bouquet:

There's a FB group supposedly co-ordinating makers and hospitals in need, not sure if that covers all or just some.

A retired medic pal going back to work in Newcastle reports no shortages there, but the news from contacts in Cornwall is not so good :/

Lots and lots of heroes in all this,  :bouquet: but going into the fray with no armour and no covering fire... is above and beyond, and never mind clapping them or banging saucepans, you politicians out there, you need to sort out the funding and never, ever let them be in this position again!!   :rant:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2020, 10:07:24 pm »

There's a FB group supposedly co-ordinating makers and hospitals in need, not sure if that covers all or just some.

A retired medic pal going back to work in Newcastle reports no shortages there, but the news from contacts in Cornwall is not so good :/

Lots and lots of heroes in all this,  :bouquet: but going into the fray with no armour and no covering fire... is above and beyond, and never mind clapping them or banging saucepans, you politicians out there, you need to sort out the funding and never, ever let them be in this position again!!   :rant:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-52156993/coronavirus-sewing-nhs-scrubs-out-of-old-bed-sheets

dont know if it will will on the player

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2020, 01:28:58 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-52156993/coronavirus-sewing-nhs-scrubs-out-of-old-bed-sheets

dont know if it will will on the player

Yes, that plays :)   Lovely to see - and to hear some lovely Shetland accents. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:31:52 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2020, 06:48:57 am »
Well done! Great job!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2020, 08:29:50 am »
Cool!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2020, 12:20:21 pm »

Brilliant!  Good sewing too  ;D   It does seem to be causing smiles amongst the staff at Gilbert Bain too  :thumbsup: :trophy:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2020, 04:44:02 pm »
Cheers folks - I'm still sewing!  :thumbsup: I was shocked to learn the staff had to change clothes if they went on a different ward - well in a small hospital like we have that could be several times a day! No wonder the laundry people couldn't keep up. Wonder if any other hospitals will start a sewing trend.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2020, 05:07:42 pm »
Is there a pattern available?  I know someone who would do this and has lots of fabric
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS