Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 28771 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2020, 11:30:53 am »
Sounds like they just want people to be busy  ::)

Realistically it costs less to buy a tshirt from primark than to wash it in public laundrete (in London they cost £7 a wash!!!)

For time being. I still wake up at 5.30 in the morning. Pray, have a coffee and stsrt fixing my summer polytunnel/winter chicken run.

Make sure you stay busy doing whatever you prefer! But make sure you do enough exercise! Heard on BBC radio that even elderly people who walk 10k steps every day have their immune system as strong as much younger people. When you use your muscles you boost your immune system! When sit down all day everything is going down and you die. Whether with virus or not.
If you are stuck st home switch YouTube on and look for home exercise tutorials etc.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2020, 08:03:12 pm »
So this bug is nasty, has any one noticed that in times of distress (coronavirus, bad weather (flooding etc)) there are disaster films on tv?

2012, Day after tomorrow especially on several times before and after Christmas whilst the rains came (climate change........). - AND both on again next week!!

Currently watching Independence Day on E4 whilst dog is in snooze mode!

Nothing like the channels to throw in fictional disasters whilst real-life ones are in full bloom!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2020, 08:15:10 pm »
So this bug is nasty, has any one noticed that in times of distress (coronavirus, bad weather (flooding etc)) there are disaster films on tv?

2012, Day after tomorrow especially on several times before and after Christmas whilst the rains came (climate change........). - AND both on again next week!!

Currently watching Independence Day on E4 whilst dog is in snooze mode!

Nothing like the channels to throw in fictional disasters whilst real-life ones are in full bloom!
Last time I went to my in laws house my son (4) said "pause the TV, I need to go toilet" - we only watch iplayer, youtube etc at home. No normal TV. Choose what you wannabe watch  ;)
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2020, 08:13:58 am »
I think tv or whatever media can have a big emotional effect over people (some people at least, I can dwell on the emotions I feel days after a powerful film). I'd like to think physiologists have worked out which films and programs are good for people in this situation. I think both sides of the coin are useful. Stuff where people are in difficult situations and pull together or mind over matter or stick up for one another must be good. The Martian comes to mind, saw a great feel good film last year Green Book. Or pure fantasy, Lord of rings style. Whereas indulgence in decadence (we can't go for a walk let alone have an epic party). Powerlessness to natural disasters or the like or stuff with loads of violence and fear I worry may encourage people to dwell on negative thoughts.
Or maybe I'm encouraging censoring of the media!?  :coat:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:58 am »
I think you are right but I dont think physiologists have anything to do with that but rather psychologists  :bouquet:
TV has a great effect on people's minds. Especially kids, but of course adults too!
That's why we should filter what we (and our children) are watching.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2020, 10:41:10 am »
TV?  What TV?  :coat:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2020, 10:56:39 am »
In my case...
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2020, 12:22:56 pm »
Those who experiment on mice have shown that, when infected with toxoplasmosis, the mice become far bolder, risking their lives for example not running away from cats but facing up to them. This would be the virus causing a change in behaviour of the host in order to hasten its own spread.  Crafty!

It has been extrapolated from that finding that our chums just across the channel, who tend to eat their meat undercooked, leading to a higher incidence of toxo in the general population, could explain their rather carefree, high risk approach to driving and the higher number of road accidents they have. The toxo is stumped at that point as we don't eat eachother.

I am wondering if SARS-CoV-2 has a similar effect and this could explain why so many folk are ignoring the restrictions and risking their health.  It could also explain why there is this horrible rise in deliberate spitting and coughing in others' faces - the virus is doing all it can to spread itself!  It might also explain why more people are flying off the handle so easily, or maybe that's just fear and frustration  :thinking:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2020, 06:00:34 am »
Well it's been a while since I've had a chance to post, although I have been dipping in and out where I can. Last year we didn't make enough progress on our land because of machine breakdowns and having to direct most of our attention to selling our old house.

Frustratingly this year hasn't started that well as I've Covid19 had caused mayhem in many ways. My days to day job is construction so we still continue to go in every day as that's what the government have decided and as such companies are liable for all wage bills if they decide to close, my kids are out of school and nursery so my wife is having to look after them whilst working from home (can't give her enough praise for managing to do it so far), the weekends are spent trying to do food shops from various places and I'm also a blood biker so when I'm on duty I take a 12 hour shift out of the day.

All in all I'm feeling a touch overwhelmed and that we're going to have another year where nothing gets progressed and all I'm doing is fire fighting. On the plus side my mother is coping well with isolation and the family are healthy so I guess you should always count your blessings. Apologies for the vent.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:13 am »
My wee sis lives in China and its interesting  to hear what they have done to get things under control.

During lock down everybody was issued a QR code, when the nominated person went out (to get food - 1 person per household every 2nd day, police put tape across everyone's front doors so they could tell you hadn't opened your door outwith this alliwance) the code had to be scanned (and persons temperature checked) at key points like the entrance to the shop.  The authorities then had a database and could rapidly isolate anyone who had been in contact with who when a case was found.

Now things are returning to normal but yesterday my sis was showing a new member of staff around the school.  On entry to the cafeteria at lunchtime they are all temperature checked.  This new person was a tiny bit above the accepted temperature so they were immediately put in the schools isolation room.  Further tests continued to show a slightly high temperature so by the end of the afternoon they were in hospital being tested for Corona Virus. If it comes back positive they will be back to full lock down.

We are not doing anything like this level of tracking and breaking the chain of transmission and so, whilst I am sure we will get through this, it is going to take a lot longer than it has done in China.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2020, 06:32:09 am »
 My father in law cam back from Egypt (holiday) about 3 weeks ago. In egypt they scanned everyones temperature on the airport. In the UK on the way back - nothing. They just let everyone in as if nothings happening.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2020, 07:30:32 am »
Here in France the critical care beds are just about saturated- they are moving people around the Country to places that have capacity. However they seem to think we are at the peak and are discussing relaxing the movement rules. Social distancing is taken very seriously here and supermarkets are limiting the number of people in them resulting in long queues outside.

Just had an email from the UK and it seems very disorganised in terms of controls. Saw the news footage of people at the train station!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2020, 11:56:27 am »
Yesterday we had our first ever click and collect order to pick up in Edinburgh (still no delivery slots).  We were expecting chaos and long queues, but all was quiet and calm, just like any other morning. No panic buying, no trolleys piled high with bogrolls, people keeping their distance and with smiles on their faces. There was one car ahead of us, then one behind.  The groceries were brought out while we were still in the car, the man retreated then we got out, loaded the bags into the boot (wearing disposable gloves), we drove off and the man returned to take the empty crates away, then serve the next customer.
There was almost no traffic on the rural roads, and no-one about, but more people than we had expected on the outskirts of town.
I think we hear a lot of negative stuff but it looks to me as if the majority of the population is knuckling under and waiting it out, following the rules.  The news isn't going to be 'interesting' without hearing about the dramatic odd problem. Perhaps social media ramps it all up too, but I don't follow any of that so wouldn't know.  All I saw was calm compliance and good sense, I'm delighted to say.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2020, 03:30:17 pm »
My father in law cam back from Egypt (holiday) about 3 weeks ago. In egypt they scanned everyones temperature on the airport. In the UK on the way back - nothing. They just let everyone in as if nothings happening.

Ex-BH called her doctor for repeat subscription & was coughing:  "Oh, that doesn't sound good" said Doc ... "I know, but I don't have a fever [temperature]" ... "Not everyone gets a fever with Covid-19" said the Doc !!

While I'm here;  big Sis made and sent me a rainbow butterfly in the post.  I didn't know about the "Rainbows of Hope" thing, but thought I'd share her offering which is presently my avatar.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:33:56 pm by arobwk »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2020, 04:22:18 pm »
Well, I've got a bad cough for last week.

We usually "click and collect" from asda and have been doing so akfor at least a year. Only going in for extra milk etc. But we tried the last week and there was no available slots for next TWO WEEKS (the system only allows tmto book that far). Therefore we will have to go inside the shop again although I would prefer to avoid it atm.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS