Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 28772 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 08:05:52 pm »
Have you tried Facetime or whatsapp?  I think they're simpler and quicker
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2020, 10:43:27 am »
I'm one of those who remembers past bread strikes and other shortages and also privileged to have capital so I stocked up weeks ago at the first sign of troubles and when distribution could easily keep up.
I did pop out for a few perishables yesterday (milk and fruit) and made my trip to Aldi for 9pm expecting it to be the usual case (at the time of night) of me being the only customer. There were a few folk in but the shelves were stripped of the usual loo rolls, rice and flour.

What was interesting was how everyone was avoiding each other... keeping a good distance from other trolleys and yards apart at the checkout - so the message is getting through..

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2020, 01:18:49 pm »
I'm one of those who remembers past bread strikes and other shortages and also privileged to have capital so I stocked up weeks ago at the first sign of troubles and when distribution could easily keep up.
I did pop out for a few perishables yesterday (milk and fruit) and made my trip to Aldi for 9pm expecting it to be the usual case (at the time of night) of me being the only customer. There were a few folk in but the shelves were stripped of the usual loo rolls, rice and flour.

What was interesting was how everyone was avoiding each other... keeping a good distance from other trolleys and yards apart at the checkout - so the message is getting through..

I vividly remember the sugar shortage in the 1970s.  I had to freeze fruit and juice for jams and jellies, and even tried jam made with brown sugar.  A sugar shortage wouldn't bother me one bit now as I don't touch the stuff.

Like you, Mr F went shopping this morning for a few essentials.  He wore latex gloves and wasn't the only one - he was surprised at how grubby they got!
Yep, the bogroll shelves were nearly empty, as were the kitchen paper shelves!  There are going to be a lot of blocked loos when people try using that  :o ::) .  He went first thing and there was hardly anyone about.
People also seem to be stocking up on stuff like soap and liquid handwash (did they never wash their hands before?) as well as anything which could be thought of as sanitiser of hands and surfaces.
The pharmacy in town was well stocked though, and no problems with my usual meds - the advice for that is have a min of a month's supply at all times.  The comment he got when he walked in was 'I see you had a good bonfire yeaterday' - he had been burning hedge brash before the heap was colonised by nesting birds.  Although we live in a fairly isolated situation, we can be seen from the road, so nothing's secret  ::) ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 09:38:22 pm »
I decided on a  quick bit of extra panic-buying at the Iceland store 'cos they stock some really nice jamaican patties.

The place was completely deserted, not a soul in sight even though i was there for 9 o'clock.

It turns out they normally close at 8pm....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 10:10:48 pm »
I decided on a  quick bit of extra panic-buying at the Iceland store 'cos they stock some really nice jamaican patties.

The place was completely deserted, not a soul in sight even though i was there for 9 o'clock.

It turns out they normally close at 8pm....
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 01:07:05 pm »
I don't have the best singing voice which is an embarrassment here in Rural Wales.

Did you see that clip of housebound Italians singing to keep up their spirits?

I thought I should show solidarity - so I opened the windows wide...

"Just one cornetto...."

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 12:27:55 am »
This is a really interesting read (you may have to view using Chrome):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 01:39:40 pm »
thanks Womble; interesting indeed!

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2020, 07:02:47 pm »
Gosh there isnt much activity on here today is there, is TAS on lock-down as well? Just watched the 6.o'clock news, pretty depressing stuff isnt it - my husband is now working from home, I've been busy getting all my craft ready for the tourist season and it doesn't look like I'll be able to display anything as no punters will be allowed in! It is really getting serious, just hope we all get through it   :gloomy:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2020, 07:12:23 pm »
Gosh there isnt much activity on here today is there, is TAS on lock-down as well? Just watched the 6.o'clock news, pretty depressing stuff isnt it - my husband is now working from home, I've been busy getting all my craft ready for the tourist season and it doesn't look like I'll be able to display anything as no punters will be allowed in! It is really getting serious, just hope we all get through it   :gloomy:

It's not that long ago that you said there was too many people in the world and bring on the pandemics. What is it they say "be careful what you wish for".

I too hope we all get through but I think we all have hard times ahead.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2020, 09:46:37 pm »

It's not that long ago that you said there was too many people in the world and bring on the pandemics. What is it they say "be careful what you wish for".

I had to go back and check and that was you Polyanya :o :roflanim:  0oh! Bad!  I thought it must have been one of the callous chaps from my memory (I own up to a sexist comment  ;D )

Thinking about it, I expect our Earth has had a bit of a think herself and come up with the storms, earthquakes, tsunamis and floods in an effort to make us think harder before carelessly destroying her, then when that is clearly not working she's taken the decision to reduce her human overpopulation by pandemic.  It seems reasonable.
Being older than some (although not yet in my 70's) and with a dodgy heart and lungs, and having spent my working life as a hospital nurse so control of infection is second nature, I took the decision early on to cut contacts and to stay at home.  Thankfully, having a smallholding the change isn't great, and we can still gossip over the fence with callers.  I think we have enough supplies in for a while at least, and some young and kind friends have offered to bring in anything essential we need.  I am frantically filling my polytunnel and veg patch with as much useful food as I can, but it all takes so long to reach an edible size. In the back of my mind is the thought that if supplies in the shops are restricted, any excess can be shared with friends and neighbours, so too much is better than too little.
There are many older people on their own though, and we should all be aware who they are and see how we can help. There are also homeless people - who will care for them?
Mr F had the thought that Prime Minister Cummings had worked out that bumping off all the elderly, sick and disabled folk would ease the pressure on the NHS, save money from their pensions and Soc Sec payouts, and release a whole lot of housing, so a pandemic was good, then he suddenly thought again and realised that without the older vote, his pet puppy Boris would not be voted in, so suddenly we have to save the oldies  :innocent:  Being a cynic I feel that when we get right down to the bone, we're all on our own  :(

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 06:50:51 am »
Breaking News
 Chloroquinone can help with Coronavirus. It's a quinine derivative.
 I'm torn between drinking more tonic with my Gin or just more Gin and tonic... ???? Alcohol is a disinfectant - problem solved!

Breaking News
 Over 70's told to isolate.
 Supermarkets overrun with panic buying of Grecian 2000

New TV Series
 'Virus Ward'
 ..who should get the ventilator?
 Call 555-0911-1 to Nominale dave
 Call 555-0911-2 to nominate Jackie
 Call.....

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 07:14:09 am »
 :roflanim:  :roflanim:  :roflanim:

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 07:23:45 pm »

Yes I was thinking about that today - it was said tongue in cheek though and the virus had already made its presence known in China and its a big and I did say I would offer myself up to be euthanised in order to save the planet, so don't be too hard on me  ::)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 07:36:52 pm »

I had to go back and check and that was you Polyanya :o :roflanim:  0oh! Bad!  I thought it must have been one of the callous chaps from my memory (I own up to a sexist comment  ;D )

Thinking about it, I expect our Earth has had a bit of a think herself and come up with the storms, earthquakes, tsunamis and floods in an effort to make us think harder before carelessly destroying her, then when that is clearly not working she's taken the decision to reduce her human overpopulation by pandemic.  It seems reasonable.
Being older than some (although not yet in my 70's) and with a dodgy heart and lungs, and having spent my working life as a hospital nurse so control of infection is second nature, I took the decision early on to cut contacts and to stay at home.  Thankfully, having a smallholding the change isn't great, and we can still gossip over the fence with callers.  I think we have enough supplies in for a while at least, and some young and kind friends have offered to bring in anything essential we need.  I am frantically filling my polytunnel and veg patch with as much useful food as I can, but it all takes so long to reach an edible size. In the back of my mind is the thought that if supplies in the shops are restricted, any excess can be shared with friends and neighbours, so too much is better than too little.
There are many older people on their own though, and we should all be aware who they are and see how we can help. There are also homeless people - who will care for them?
Mr F had the thought that Prime Minister Cummings had worked out that bumping off all the elderly, sick and disabled folk would ease the pressure on the NHS, save money from their pensions and Soc Sec payouts, and release a whole lot of housing, so a pandemic was good, then he suddenly thought again and realised that without the older vote, his pet puppy Boris would not be voted in, so suddenly we have to save the oldies  :innocent:  Being a cynic I feel that when we get right down to the bone, we're all on our own  :(

I can be heartless sometimes but I don't mean it ;D Funny you being a nurse, I was too once upon a time and have done my fair share of wiping brows and patting hands as well as wiping other parts of the anatomy and I care hugely about poor folk, homeless or otherwise who are basically being left to cope. From on cynic to another   I bet Cummings and BoJo were wringing their hands in glee and putting the Social Care agenda at the bottom of the Action now tray  >:(.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS