Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Still no pork!!!  (Read 9319 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Still no pork!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:53 am »
Two days to go until D-day, nervous.......you bet, worried in case they wont load without too much stress, in case the tagging does not go well, in case the unload does not go well.......arrrgghhhh, will heave a sigh of relief when it's over and have a touch of remorse but will look forward to roast pork!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 02:08:05 pm »
Don't worry!

1) put the trailer in the pen in the morning (if you use electric fencing, just switch it off and lower the ramp over it)
2) put straw on the ramp and lots of straw inside the trailer
3) put some apples on the ramp
4) put food inside the trailer and a bucket of water

Come back in the afternoon and you will find:
5) all apples gone, the straw turned over by the little oinkers trying to find out of there's more food elsewhere and if the floor, barriers etc are edible

Then in the evening:
6) put the trough (if it's a lightweight one, if not use buckets) in the trailer and feed them in there
7) close the barriers whilst they're feeding
8) put the tags in their ears in the evening or whilst they're eating (before it's dark) or early morning (at least they won't lose them overnight). If they're metal tags, it's just like using a stapler - they pigs will shake their head as it'll hurt a little bit and there may be a few drops of blood, but that's it. I don't know about slap markers.
9) attach the trailer to your car already or make sure you know really well how to do it even in the dark (this year we borrowed someone's trailer and I was online on my iphone at 5am in the pouring rain, looking up "how to attach trailer" on the internet!). Bring a torch.

The following morning upon arrival:
10) sweep some of the straw back on the ramp with your feet - pigs think metal is for biting in, not walking down on
11) bring a bucket of food with you in the back of the car and rattle it to encourage the little darlings to come out (sometimes they do so very easily, they just don't like ramps, especially the metal ones)
12) the end.

You'll be fine. Be prepared to shout loud and think quick if things aren't going well, but chances are that everything will be ok.

Then in a fortnight's time: enjoy the pork!!!

Eve  :wave:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 08:41:23 pm »
Oh, and it's perfectly normal to start thinking about next year's piggies by the time you've arrived home!  ;D

PS: Don't worry, you'll be fine!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:20 am »
All the best for the day.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 09:28:41 am »
Thanks for that guys :) One thing though I am not sure about pigs next year, it was my daughter who wanted them this year and although we went on a pig course first, I have never been comfortable with them, I mean i love them to bits and they are great fun but they get very big and with a mind of thier own (unlike sheep) I am always worried when in the pen or if they escaped (which they only did once to be fair). Is this normal and will I feel more like I know what I am doing next time!
Also, Eve, you say in a fornights time, I have been told to pick mine up on Tuesday which will be only 4 days later, is this long enough?? I guess i can arrange to pick it up later that that if required?
Dawn

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 11:38:25 am »
Pigs are a massive learning curve, once you have tasted your own meat you will be totally smitten.  There is nothing like  your own sausages or chops  Really fresh offal is totally different from what you buy in the shops.    Even having bought all our meat from a free range butcher for years it was a totally different experience eating our own. 

Once they are in the abattoir go home have a cup of tea and start planning the next lot.  What breed did you have this time?  If they were prick eared try lop eared breeds.  If they were larger breeds perhaps consider berkshire or middle white.  If you are able neutered males are (imho) the easiest and friendliest as piglets/porkers.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 05:24:38 pm »
Right then first task completed - tagging - this went better than I thought it would, it was very easy, unfortuantely other half put one in upside down! i.e number on the underside of the ear, is this going to casue a problem?? I cant see how but forwarned is forarmed as they say.

Thomas

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 08:29:37 pm »
Think you are off tomorrow.  We took our very first pigs to the abbatoir yesterday and I have been to see the chap who is butchering them earlier today.  Like you I was soooo worried but all went well and as has been said we are planning  our next arrivals.  Will be really interested to taste the end result.  Think you have been given some great advice by others so good luck for tomorrow.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 09:23:51 pm »
Don't worry, I meant that they're picked up from the abattoir within a few days, and then they go to the butcher who'll hang them for another few days (the two butchers involved in ours this year both said that our half pigs would have to hang until a week after killing as they were so fresh).
So after a week or so the butchers start their work, which is done in between their work in their shops, so that took a few days as well. All in all, nearly a fortnight of tortuous waiting, dreamily oiling your roasting tins  :yum:

The pigs do get really big but they're friendly giants - you'll just suffer from the infamous Flat Leg Syndrome when they come and sit on your lap for a cuddle with their full 90 kilo's! ;D They can be boisterous, but again in a friendly way. We didn't train ours to sit by their trough at feeding time, so had to push our way through them - next year we might just succeed in teaching them some table manners!  
Our pigs (all uncastrated boars) happily let a 7-year old sit on their backs while she was brushing their hair - one of them pretty much laid down as soon as he saw her coming!  ;D ;D
If they're biting, give them a tap on the side of the nose (not hard! just unpleasant) immediately, or tap sideways with your shoe when they nibble your toes. They bite out of optimism, not because they're nasty - they just always wonder if what's in front of them is edible! :P
Do this from when they're little - usually you have to do it twice in a row, and then you see them thinking: "Hmmm, food isn't supposed to react like that" (honestly, you can tell when they're trying to use their brain!). They're like children, so you'll need to repeat it every now and then.

As for pigs escaping: when you get next year's pigs, use a particular call every time you arrive at their pen and feed them. I just call out in a high pitch "piggy piggy piggy piggy piggyyyyyyyyy". Within a few meals they'll recognise your call.
Some of our weaners escaped this year when the electric wire malfunctioned. When they arrived on day 1, they were overwhelmed because of all the space they had compared to where they came from (Can I keep on walking here? Really? Can I keep on walking here?). But it didn't take them long to get used to the great outdoors - 5 days to be precise! We arrived in the evening to find 3 weaners missing. Needless to say, I nearly died!! Hubby found them on the other side of the farm, just about to break into the farmer's wife's garden. The enormous relief of them not being down the lane, getting run over by a car, was quickly followed by "how on earth are we going to catch them??". Then I called out "piggy piggy piggy piggy piggyyyyyyyyy" and... they straight away ran towards me! I ran over the fields towards the pen and they just followed! They were soooo cute, running like little puppy dogs with their chubby bottoms going up and down and ears flapping!! As soon as we saw how quickly they came back, I gave my mobile to hubby who filmed me running over the field with my spotted little darlings following me, soooo funny!

And as Hilarysmum says: your own pork will taste divine - the bacon is the best ever!!! :yum: :yum: :yum:
Hubby needed bacon a few weeks ago and bought Waitrose's best - it smells fine but it's like biting into water! And yes, get pigs with floppy ears - they can't see that well where they're going!  ;D
Don't worry about the tag being upside down, but take the tags and pliers with you in case some tags fall off during the night.

Good luck - and don't forget your feeding bucket!

Eve  :wave:

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 05:41:34 pm »
Right then.....the deed is done, here is how it went:-
Firstly loading - this was much easier then I had anticipated, we had to get them across a large inside barn to the trailer so we boarded up any possible escape routes, they came easily to the rattle of the bucket and the call 'piggies, piggies'.
Abattoir - hubby and stepdad went to the abattoir, I stayed at home to finish feeding (coward), when he got back I gave him a grilling about exactly how it happened, he said although it was a bit chaotic because of the amount of trailers there, they were all friendly and helpful, the pigs unloaded without any problem into a strawfilled holding pen, they were not in the least bit stressed, in fact they were interested in all the other pigs there.

I asked him if he saw any misstreatment 'no' was the answer, the only thing they used to move the pigs along was waving of arms or a slap on the rump.
At this point I told him why I wanted to know and explained Eve's experience, his reaction was that if he had seen them hurting our pigs he would have shouted at them (reassuring).

He went off to sort the paperwork, when he came back he saw our pigs going through, they were still unstressed and unconcerned. The only thing that he did say was that the workers are mostly polish and he had difficulty understanding them!!

So all in all a positive experience, and you were right we are already thinking about next years pigs even though I said we were not going to have any! I am now soooooooo looking forward to roast pork and a lovely bit of crackling :)

Thanks for all the moral support on this one people, its good to be able to ask others who have already had the experience  :pig:

Dawn

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 06:44:33 pm »
I'm so pleased for you! (And for the pigs, of course!)
The thing is, if the whole abattoir experience is fine, then the fact that you're having your little darlings killed suddenly becomes much less of a deal - and the knowledge of what you're getting in return softens the blow a lot as well.

So, how many pigs next year?? This time next year you'll be thinking of getting some sows, next  ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 06:55:52 pm »
Glad all went well for you!  Mine went this Monday and I have been busy today salting my hams and bacon curing and making liver pate by the ton.

Most of the workers at my abbatoir are Polish too!  A whole tented camp of them living right next door to it.  They were really good with my pigs - I guess as the Polish like to eat them, they treat them well! 

Only downside to picking up the carcasses myself was I had to "go round the back" of the abbatoir and see all the full wheelie bins of gunk! 

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 07:10:45 pm »
"wheelie bins of gunk" Eeeeeeeeewwwwwww!!!!!!!!!   

But that clearly didn't put you off! ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 09:12:59 am »
Glad it all went well, now its the difficult bit - chops or bacon, gammon or fresh roast, belly boned and rolled or spare ribs.  Mouthwatering.

Now what pigs are you going for next.  Don't delay.  Good pork does not last long in the freezer, it gets eaten very quickly. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »
So pleased it went well for you. Enjoy your pork  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS