Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs ignoring each other  (Read 1853 times)

HappyHippy

Pigs ignoring each other
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:49:47 pm »
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a bit of advice. A friend of mine had 2 pot bellied pigs(5 years old), unfortunately 1 died around 6 months ago. The remaining pig had seemed fine, she was in a livery yard so had lots of ponies for company. But suddenly she had started to go downhill and seemed to miss her friend. We moved Victoria (my 7 year old Kune Kune) up to be company for her - but they are ignoring each other  ::)
There's no aggresion between them, and the wee VPBP has free reign to go wherever she pleases. Unfortunately she has chosen to take up residence in the hay shed, rather than share her bed with this newcomer lol! Any suggestions to speed up the bonding process ? I've suggested feeding them both together and trying to keep them penned in together for a few days to speed things up - it's only been a week they've been together.
Can anyone offer any other tips please ? Or is it just a waiting game with these 2 stubborn so and so's  ;) ;D
Thanks
Karen x

Hardfeather

Re: Pigs ignoring each other
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:55:33 pm »
When introducing new pigs or when mixing batches it is advisable to wash each of them down with a strong-smelling solution of some sort. Maybe Dettol, or Savlon, or some of the essential oils diluted down would do, although I'm sure there are washes available commercially. It makes them all smell the same and reduces the tendency for aggression.

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs ignoring each other
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:02:23 pm »
Thank you AengusOg - I never thought of that !
I've never had problems before, but I suppose I've just been lucky (or maybe cos I've been dealing with daft wee weaners lol!)
I'll suggest that to her - fingers crossed !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS