Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Yorkshire!!!Help, how can i tell if my beauties are in season?!  (Read 2324 times)

Gerty!

• Joined Sep 2010
 :pig: Hello From beautiful South Yorksire! :pig:

I live on the edge of the peak district with my partner, we have ran a healthy beef farm for many years, My partner and his dad have beef cattle and charolais sheep, although i was always interested in the cattle a love of pigs was brewing!!!

I curretly have 3 GOS pedigree, 1 GOS XDuroch cross, 5 GOS x duroch cross (weaners) and 5 x middle whites!!

I love my pigs and they lead a very happy life! Im now wanting to AI my GOS but am confused how i will tell if they are in season?!!

can anyone help?

Also does everyone use deer park for GOS AI?

Thank.
Love gerty x

HappyHippy

Re: Hello from Yorkshire!!!Help, how can i tell if my beauties are in season?!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:58:50 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum !
I haven't used Deerpark myself (yet) but I'm certain it's the only place you can get AI from.
As for telling when they are in season - their vulva's will become slightly swollen and red and if you press against their back end they'll stand solid and not move. What age are your pigs ? Ideally they should be around 12 months for their first pregnancy, but if they are a lot older than this you may have problems getting them into pig if they've not farrowed before.
HTH
Karen x

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:33:51 am »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:35:18 am »
Hi and welcome from a very wet Suffolk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS