Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Still no pork!!!  (Read 9341 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Still no pork!!!
« on: August 20, 2010, 01:12:52 pm »
Getting these pigs to the abattoir is proving frustrating! A friend was going to take them and is now unable, so I have booked my hubby's van in to have a towbar fitted and spent hours and hours online looking for a trailer (to no avail), firstly we had to get ear tags ordered even though they had been slap marked, a phonecall to the abbatior confirmed this, they are 8 months old now and realy need to be gone, so if anyone nearby is willing to take them for me for cash or pork I would be extremely grateful :pig:
Dawn

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Still no pork!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:19:25 pm »
Hi,were abouts are you?

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:20:42 pm »
In west oxfordshire

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:22:48 pm »
Sorry to far for me.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:24:57 pm »
Thanks anyway ;D

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:54:16 pm »
speak to the abbatior, they may know some smallholders in your area who would help you out, failing that what about the person you bought your weaners from, could they give you a lift? its a shame you are too far away :)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 06:13:12 pm »
Good news!

After booking in to get a tow bar fitted we have been offered use of a trailer so they will be going in the next couple of weeks, also got a number of local butcher that will bacon half a pig for me, Mmmmmm bacon sarnies here we come!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 08:28:22 am »
Use the delay to source (nearly wrote sauce freudian slip) all the recipes for everything you want to make

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:08:13 am »
Finally everything is in place!! The pigs are booked in for a week next Friday, paperwork ready to go, tags ready to go, trailer ready to go, fingers crossed all goes to plan  ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 12:58:14 pm »
F,

Which abattoir are you using? is very unusual to not accept slapmarks!
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 05:40:59 pm »
Good luck, and remember those sausages are going to be sooooooooo tasty, even tastier after the long wait.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 07:25:04 pm »
Using Mutchmeat in Witney, they asked for tags, so tags it is! The slapmark the pigs have are from thier place of birth and not our herd no, I did ask if this was going to confuse them, they said no, so lets hope it doesn't.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 09:48:51 am »
Check the slap mark number on the carcasses when you get them back, just for piece of mind.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 03:13:43 pm »
I've heard of Mutchmeat, can you let us know your experience, please. I'll be writing my own down tonight, I've got to take some time over it.

Eve

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 07:53:51 pm »
Hi Eve, i have read about your bad experience :( We used Mutchmeat last year for the lambs and had no problems, I also used to work for a wholesale butcher who got all thier pigs direct from them and they always came off the lorry looking good. Most people I know round here use them with no problems.Will let you know how we get on with the pigs.

I have also spoken to a local farmer who said they should only need a slapmark but I double checked with the abbatior and he def wants ear tags, so ear tags it is!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS