Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 208980 times)

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
Re: bird flu
« Reply #315 on: January 04, 2017, 08:39:14 am »
People.  We all gotta stay put.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #316 on: January 04, 2017, 08:45:09 am »
To quote Defra, the protection order measures apply from 14.30 on 6 December 2016 until 14.30 on 6 January 2017.
 Nearly there!  :fc:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #317 on: January 04, 2017, 10:45:30 am »
I'll be very surprised if that isn't extended, Herdygirl. When the measures were put in place, we were talking about a potential risk to the UK. Now we have actual confirmed cases, it's considerably worse than that.

BTW, our hens are having great fun this morning with a whole cabbage, suspended from a very stretchy elastic band. So, just in case you're looking for an idea for keeping yourself your birds entertained.....  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:47:37 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #318 on: January 04, 2017, 11:43:48 am »
Womble, just been out and bought a big cabbage :-)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #319 on: January 04, 2017, 12:47:27 pm »
I have found on facebook yesterday about Bird flu in Pontyberem, near Carmarthen.  The flock was culled and l think tested positive for bird flu.   Have never  heard a thing from any agency or on the news about this which l think is disgusting.  How are people to know about this if they don't have access to the internet and are not informed by DEFRA.  I am registered with them and they have not emailed me or sent any information about this epidemic.  Hope this does not extend the all clear.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #320 on: January 04, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »
I have found on facebook yesterday about Bird flu in Pontyberem, near Carmarthen.  The flock was culled and l think tested positive for bird flu.   Have never  heard a thing from any agency or on the news about this which l think is disgusting.  How are people to know about this if they don't have access to the internet and are not informed by DEFRA.  I am registered with them and they have not emailed me or sent any information about this epidemic.  Hope this does not extend the all clear.

Which means that so far we only have the version of the media and not DEFRA. 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: bird flu - getting alerts
« Reply #321 on: January 04, 2017, 01:19:16 pm »
I've just registered for alerts on Bird flu so I know exactly when I can let my birds out.

http://animalhealth.system-message.co.uk/AH_subscribe_index.php
I registered at the start, only had 2 alerts, found out on here about the Merseyside outbreaks, nothing from Defra  :(. Migratory birds probably pass here on their way there.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #322 on: January 04, 2017, 01:46:30 pm »
The occurrence in the Welsh backyard flock is on the DEFRA site.

Look under 'latest'.

Have read on another site that Andrea Leadsom has said that the measures will be extended until end of February! Can't see much about this though.

Hope it's not true.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #323 on: January 04, 2017, 01:48:09 pm »
Here in Wales the Carmarthenshire outbreak is all over the news although it doesn't really say much other than the birds were culled due to suspicions which were verified afterwards.
Pontyberem is not far from Llanelli where the wildfowl was discovered with it in Dec.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #324 on: January 04, 2017, 01:48:20 pm »
Look at 'Farming UK'.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #325 on: January 04, 2017, 01:49:48 pm »
Seen a post on a hen rescue FB page that restrictions have been extended to Feb

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #326 on: January 04, 2017, 01:50:56 pm »
Yes, though I've not seen official DEFRA news, Farming UK reports that Andrea Leadsom said to farmers it'll be extended until the end of February.

https://www.farminguk.com/news/OFC17-Poultry-housing-order-to-be-extended-until-end-of-February-due-to-bird-flu-risk_45233.html

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #327 on: January 04, 2017, 03:02:32 pm »
Yes, though I've not seen official DEFRA news, Farming UK reports that Andrea Leadsom said to farmers it'll be extended until the end of February.

Redefining normal, piece by piece.

Feels like they want to move towards "no birds allowed to be kept outdoors ever".

I think if I have to keep the geese indoors for another two months it'd be kinder to cull them.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #328 on: January 04, 2017, 03:28:37 pm »
Official. Extended until 28th February. :'(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2017, 03:46:05 pm »
Seen a post on a hen rescue FB page that restrictions have been extended to Feb
An Avian Influenza Prevention Zone that has been in place since 6 December will be extended until 28 February to help protect poultry and captive birds from avian flu, the Chief Veterinary Officer has announced
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS