Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 211931 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: bird flu
« Reply #285 on: December 30, 2016, 10:55:20 am »
Has anyone read DEFRAS latest update? Dated 29th December.

Sounds as though we can expect the Prevention measures to continue????

'pose a continuing risk to our poultry sector for a considerable time'  :'(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2016, 11:26:39 am »
We had visitors over Christmas who went out for the day on boxing day. On their travels they said thy saw several batches of chickens not enclosed in any way. Some straying across the road. :-(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2016, 11:31:36 am »
I couldn't find the 29th December update [member=24384]in the hills[/member] - do you have a link?

Whilst I was looking, I did notice this statement though:

Clinical signs can vary between species of bird and some species may show minimal clinical signs (ducks and geese).

Is that perhaps why migrating waterfowl are a particular problem?  If they aren't feeling too bad, they just carry on migrating or whatever, and infect other birds en route?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2016, 11:47:16 am »
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-europe

Pdf on that page.

Yeah that is likely why waterfowl are the issue and why I put my geese in first as they can incubate it and spread ithe without showing much signs.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2016, 11:49:25 am »
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/580867/hpai-europe-update7.pdf

On DEFRAs page. It was an article under the heading 'latest' at the bottom of the page. Hope the link works.

Bionic, mine are in and under cover but very few are being kept in around me and as we have travelled around Mid _ North Wales over the last few days we have seen loads out free ranging. Sometimes wonder why I'm bothering!!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2016, 04:43:46 pm »
I've seen some free-ranging too. Maybe some folks with a few birds haven't heard about it ....?    I wouldn't want to be the one whose birds caught H5N8 - the grapevine around here would ensure everyone knew about it!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2016, 05:30:20 pm »
We have ours safely cooped up but there is an escaped Rhea running around the village.  Ho hum.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2016, 07:28:14 pm »
We have seen quite a few small flocks still out around us in North Wales but I would not know anything about the restriction if it was not for this forum. There is no wide scale advertising of the measures that I have seen.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #293 on: December 30, 2016, 10:08:57 pm »
My chicken are coping fine as we have netted their existing run so they haven't had any restriction on space. My ducks are totally fed up however and look very bored. They have ad lib wheat/maize and water to bath in but can anyone suggest anything to help with the boredom? The only silver lining is the drakes are fattening quicker than normal but if this restriction is going to be semi permanent I want to try and help their boredom a bit  :-[ they are in a woodchip, netted pen

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #294 on: December 30, 2016, 10:57:47 pm »
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2017, 01:38:07 pm »
Watched a flock of geese fly over today, heading West,  then actually made a 90deg turn to the north, wonder if co-pilot said ooops read the map wrong :-).
Can anyone ID.  Dark wings, fawn breast,  bright white patch under tail, almost like an electric light burning :-). Low sun probably highlighted them. Canada geese? Sounded different somehow.
My  guess is that would be a flock of mainly juvenile Canada geese - they still have the faun breast but are bright white below the tail. They don't get the brilliant white breast till after the first moult

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #296 on: January 01, 2017, 06:24:23 pm »
Thanks ColinS, Canada geese were all I could think of, not sure what other non-white would be around. Also just sounded different, been having a few flocks over recently.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2017, 11:29:25 am »
Current situation in UK  https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/580997/ai-findings-1617.csv/preview

Avian influenza (subtype H5N8) identified in wild birds in Great Britain             
Week beginning    Location (county)    Number of findings    Species involved    Total number of birds involved
19/12/2016    Carmarthenshire    1    Duck    1
19/12/2016    Dumfries and Galloway    1    Bird of prey    1
19/12/2016    Leicestershire    1    Duck    1
19/12/2016    Somerset    1    Duck    1
26/12/2016    Lincolnshire    1    Ducks    5
26/12/2016    Gloucestershire    1    Ducks, Geese    4
26/12/2016    Merseyside    1    Ducks, Gull, Cormorant    5
Last updated: 30 December 2016    

:(

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2017, 04:59:13 pm »
...Also just sounded different ...

Just have to hope that wasn't down to them all having a bit of a sore throat   ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: bird flu - getting alerts
« Reply #299 on: January 03, 2017, 04:34:17 pm »
I've just registered for alerts on Bird flu so I know exactly when I can let my birds out.

http://animalhealth.system-message.co.uk/AH_subscribe_index.php
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS