Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 208981 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: bird flu
« Reply #255 on: December 22, 2016, 05:54:33 pm »
I read somewhere that incorrect disposal of infected birds had the  potential to spread the disease.

Think I would contact the vet in the worse case scenario and get them to advise.

I'm in Wales too. Let's hope it doesn't come to that  :fc:

If your chickens become ill then you call the vet, if they suspect avian flu they report it and test for it, then the officials will take over. It is notifiable.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2016, 06:15:40 pm »

Yes. In the last outbreak a few years ago when measures were in place, my sister's friend had a chicken that was unwell. She took it to the vet. Vet told her that they would have to notify and almost as soon as she returned home she had a phone call to say officials were on their way.
They turned up in their white suits and took samples. They must have been happy with the findings and nothing more came of it.
I think that all you'd need to do is notify the vet of any concerns.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2016, 07:50:22 pm »
I have just been told that a dead Wigeon has been found in Llanelli, Wales, and has been confirmed as having bird flu.  Its getting closer to me now, near Carmarthen.  Despite locking my chucks up and keeping them from wild birds etc etc,  if they all get bird flu and die ( worse case scenario) what do l do with the bodies, anyone know? They are all healthy at the moment but it did occur to me that disposal of any carcases has not been mentioned. Just wondering.

What's a WIGEON? Is it a welsh pigeon? Sorry, just joking....

mizzpetit

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #258 on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:21 pm »
I have 2 rescue girls (ex organic egg farm girls) who have now really had their beaks put out of joint.. Not only were they moved from acres of free ranging to a back garden of a terraced town house,  they now can't even leave their covered run. They have been really stressed a) because of a repeatedly visiting fox whom we can't keep out of the garden and b) they can't stand being 'cooped' up (sorry). Lots of feathers have appeared at end of run and tiny bald patches are appearing. Have tried the hanging cd,  cabbage and stuff to jump on etc,  hidden corn etc. I feel awful. What with the fear of the fox and the lack of freedom I really don't feel like my happy chickens are quite so happy. If they are really feeling so miserable,  would it be better to (deep breath) cull them? This has been our first foray into hen keeping and was primarily to have eggs.. They are still laying but not always one each but that's not the issue. I'm just worried about their mental and physical welfare.

Any advice would be welcome!

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2016, 10:35:41 am »
Mizzpetit - could they be moulting? My six rescue hens had started before being grounded, the amount of feathers in a confined area looks extreme, like someone has emptied a pillow out. I don't think that the actual shedding is any more than usual it's just that the feathers are "cooped up". They also go off lay when moulting, I'm certainly seeing fewer eggs.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2016, 10:41:18 am »
I agree. Could just be moulting and egg production will naturally slow down or stop altogether as they put energy into feather production.
A couple of mine are moulting at the moment.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #261 on: December 23, 2016, 01:33:24 pm »
Can you spend some time watching them to see if they are feather pecking rather than moulting? Lots of feathers plus bald patches sounds more like moulting than feather pecking. I know how difficult it can be for confined hens, mine are a bit bored despite a variety of enrichment. I hope they settle soon.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #262 on: December 23, 2016, 05:30:19 pm »
With the steady rain we keep getting here clearing the water pooling on top of the tarp is getting to be a regular exercise. And if we do get the flu in the wild birds this water could be a dilute H5N8 soup if a passing sick dicky-bird has pooped on the tarp on his way over so I guess we need to treat it as such from now on or it's all a waste of time.
My son poked tiny holes in the tarp before putting it on so the rain would drip through.  Never anticipated all this  rain making it into bird flu soup :-(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:32:47 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #263 on: December 23, 2016, 06:11:01 pm »
I have a ridge beam allowing the water to run off but, given that it only lands just outside the pen I did wonder if a tarp drain or two (like the ones Bradshaws sell) might be better as the pipe could be extended to take the water further away.

I guess you need to do a bit of work with gaffer tape on those holes  - some of my old tarps over some of the machines owe a lot to gaffer tape  ;D
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #264 on: December 24, 2016, 04:34:34 pm »
Bad news 23/12/16 , A wild peregrine falcon found in Dumfries and Galloway has tested positive for H5N8 Avian Influenza

http://news.gov.scot/news/avian-influenz .

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #265 on: December 24, 2016, 05:26:46 pm »
Must have been someone he ate  :-\ .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #266 on: December 25, 2016, 12:36:14 am »
Some pigeons too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #267 on: December 25, 2016, 02:13:47 pm »
Some pigeons too.

I'm hoping the pigeon story is a mistake. This one mentions wood pigeons in Leicestershire and Somerset which sounds suspiciously like the source mis-heard the reports about widgeon in those counties:-

http://www.essexlive.news/brentwood-animal-sanctuary-closes-amid-bird-flu-fears/story-30009414-detail/story.html
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #268 on: December 29, 2016, 01:18:38 pm »
I have not heard of any more flu deaths in the last few days, anyone heard when we can let our poultry out??

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #269 on: December 29, 2016, 02:35:44 pm »
I have not heard of any more flu deaths in the last few days, anyone heard when we can let our poultry out??

The current Order is in place until the 6th of January so I wouldn't think we will hear anything before.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS