Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 206242 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: bird flu
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2016, 01:17:42 pm »
I think the initial problem for the UK is droppings from wild birds migrating from Europe.  I saw a flock of maybe 400 Redwings overhead yesterday, for instance.  Once it's into commercial flocks, in particular, then people, boots, tyres and so on come into play.  We're not a big commercial operation but our rare breeds are both very rare and have been selectively bred by us for years so their value in that respect means they're virtually irreplaceable.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2016, 01:24:33 pm »
1x extra large tarp, seven foot wired run, muddy pond bank, windy day and 5'2 me - a sight to behold! :roflanim: However, 15 (rather unhappy) ducks secured and bird proofed. Just need to add extra sand pit pond and good to go. :relief: Luckily hen runs already covered and ultra small mesh so no work needed there. All birds very disgruntled about confinement but for their own good. :chook: :&> >:(!
Heather

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2016, 01:59:32 pm »
it is the people with a hundred or so that maybe struggling most?

Yep, we have about 100 birds in three flocks with big runs. We've secured the feed and water (the feed was always secure) and put out troughs for feeding afternoon corn, so it's not on the ground and the troughs can be overturned once the hens have cleaned up.

We have accommodation for one flock and we're going to cull the oldest flock, whic just leaves us with thirty birds that are a tad problematic.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2016, 04:03:54 pm »

One comment on Facebook .... wonder if supermarkets will still be selling Free range eggs??

My geese are in and unhappy about it. I can't keep wild birds out of thier food and water inside.

I've ordered panels to make a chicken  run to attach to the house that should be here by the weekend. I've moved food and water inside and cleared up any standing water and windfall fruit which is the best I can do for now.

Dans

Dabs

Dan's,  geese are exempt from the under cover rules, welfare i think, feed inside at night and it should be OK, it's mainly a case of discouraging wild birds from congregating and messing round feeders.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2016, 04:15:19 pm »
I don't have geese but my ducks and chickens are a problem as the both free range and their houses aren't big enough to keep them in.

Instead I have been following (or trying to follow) the rules for food and water. The chickens have a grandpas feeder so the food is not available for wild birds. I have stopped using all the buckets around the place for their drinking water and have reverted to just 1 inside the stable.

The ducks also have lots of drinking buckets and get fed outside in the morning and inside their house in the evening (not a problem). I have taken to standing over them while they have their morning feed and drink so that no wild birds can get a look in and when they have finished as much as they want I remove it all. They have a pond, which I can't do anything about but they can drink there if they want.

I am also in the process of putting up a scarecrow which I hope will help a bit
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

BrockMullerGump

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2016, 04:31:29 pm »
I've been thinking about the scarecrows too as have the same problem as you. All our birds have houses for night time but free range across our yard and fields in the day, we've never had them in pens or cages etc, they're completely free range. Water is a tricky one as our birds all use the lake (which I can't stop wild birds from using) I don't think this is going to be enough precaution. I wish that I could keep them out and be vigilant, I just don't see it being enough to 'get away with it' or keep other local poultry owners happy.

I have outbuildings that will have to do as make-shift homes for chickens, ducks and geese for the next month. It's cr[member=36627]P[/member] for us as I don't want to see my birds like this, it's worse for them having to live in old potting sheds and stables. All we can hope is that this quarantine gets lifted sooner than the expected date of early Jan.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2016, 04:51:39 pm »
the hens are now in the greenhouse and they are not happy! Has anyone ever have had a chicken break glass? Mine might be the first! I can't cover the GH with tarp yet for the night as we are still working on the duck bit....Tarp seems to be in short supply, waiting for the delivery since things were announced....I am also worried once we get freezing conditions again. I do not have a greenhouse heater, does something exist that they could not topple over and create a fire or something? No electricity anywhere near the plot either....

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:39 pm »
Why do you need a heater when your hens are in the greenhouse, are they moulting a lot at the moment?

Is your greenhouse fox proof?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2016, 05:40:47 pm »
Why do you need a heater when your hens are in the greenhouse, are they moulting a lot at the moment?

Is your greenhouse fox proof?

It is several degrees warmer in the hen house protected near the house than in the greenhouse in the garden. No, I've not dug chicken wire 2 feet under the greenhouse if that's what you mean. We're still working on the run so maybe they can go back to the old house asap, in the meantime I hope no fox will dig in overnight.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2016, 05:47:21 pm »
I hope no fox will dig in overnight.

Ooooohhhh dear, one probably will! I really wouldn't tempt fate like that! :o   Chicken wire is nothing to foxes anyway. But being a few degrees colder won't harm your hens, I wouldn't worry about a heater, they should be ok.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2016, 05:51:58 pm »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2016, 05:53:07 pm »
Can someone make this link work? It's a map of where bird flu has been reported, someone emailed it to me but it doesn't work when I post it here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=51.909584769922866%2C4.0088939150391525&hl=en&z=7&mid=1aNOepBDPUd0zdRnQE1UbSW8djsk

copy and paste into browser did it.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2016, 05:56:24 pm »
Can someone make this link work? It's a map of where bird flu has been reported, someone emailed it to me but it doesn't work when I post it here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=51.909584769922866%2C4.0088939150391525&hl=en&z=7&mid=1aNOepBDPUd0zdRnQE1UbSW8djsk

copy and paste into browser did it.

Thanks - turned out to work if I didn't try to turn it into a link :D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2016, 05:57:00 pm »
I hope no fox will dig in overnight.

Ooooohhhh dear, one probably will! I really wouldn't tempt fate like that! :o   Chicken wire is nothing to foxes anyway. But being a few degrees colder won't harm your hens, I wouldn't worry about a heater, they should be ok.

Thanks, Eve, that is now making me feel really great. I'm trying to protect them, you see. Not my choice to put free ranging birds under cover anywhere possible...I've so far not even lost free breeding ducks to foxes. Fingers crossed.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »
I don't have geese but my ducks and chickens are a problem as the both free range and their houses aren't big enough to keep them

The ducks also have lots of drinking buckets and get fed outside in the morning and inside their house in the evening (not a problem). I have taken to standing over them while they have their morning feed and drink so that no wild birds can get a look in and when they have finished as much as they want I remove it all. They have a pond, which I can't do anything about but they can drink there if they w

What do you feed Bionic ?
I used to feed whole wheat, put in water it gives them something to dabble for and hides the feed from sharper beaks. (Used at a wildfowl area as vermin deterrent)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS