Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 206133 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Re: bird flu
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2016, 10:42:38 am »
Scotland has issues the same poultry lockdown as England, I can't see Wales not following suit.

My hens and ducks are locked into their pens, I've put food and water in the sheds in the hope it will keep wild birds away. Need to figure a way of covering the pens.

Does any one know if this is likely to after availability of fresh poultry/birds for Christmas? * praying I won't be in the frozen aisle!*

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2016, 10:46:15 am »
If you mean droppings - dig them in, perfect fertiliser  :chook:

I'd love to do that, but our polytunnel is carpeted!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2016, 10:56:13 am »
Posh Brown,our chicken who has been sick and in isolation for a week, is off to the vets this afternoon for swabs to be taken - please keep your fingers crossed that it is mycoplasma and not a strain of avian flu.  Our lovely vet says he thinks that is what is it but he is duty bound to do the tests.  Fingers crossed for my girls please.   :fc:

If she's not posh she will certainly be expensive! Hope you get her sorted  :fc:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2016, 10:58:31 am »
Does any one know if this is likely to after availability of fresh poultry/birds for Christmas? * praying I won't be in the frozen aisle!*

Without a doubt! Could be good for other meat sales too!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2016, 11:17:40 am »
I've just put my new APHA Keep Out sign on the gate - don't want feed delivery lorries or LPG tankers that might have been on poultry farms before delivering to us.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2016, 11:26:20 am »
Just in case people aren't sure - it is in place in Wales too as of yesterday... (thank you TAS - we don't/can't watch TV so only read about it here so have just checked to make sure!) Bit of a nightmare when you are moving, how to manage that?!

http://gov.wales/topics/environmentcountryside/ahw/disease/avianflu/?lang=en

Bit of useful info from the Welsh gov. site:
Do I need to house my birds now?

No. We are not requiring that flocks are housed at a national level. We do, however, advise that birds are kept away from wild birds wherever possible by feeding and watering birds under cover. Bird feed and any standing water should be kept free from contamination by wild birds and other animals. Poultry owners should make sure that hands, clothes and footwear are clean before and after contact with birds. Owners need to be vigilant and monitor their birds frequently.
What should I look out for?

Typically the signs of disease show suddenly with affected birds showing:

•     swelling of the head
        a blue discolouration of the neck and throat area
        dullness
        a loss of appetite
        respiratory distress
        diarrhoea
        a drop in egg production.

Some birds, especially waterfowl, can be infected with Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza (LPAI) without showing any signs of disease. However, there can be considerable variation in the clinical signs and severity of the disease.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:29:49 am by Somewhere_by_the_river »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2016, 11:55:04 am »
Thank you Some-where-by-the-river.

Wales as well, then.

Did you copy the 'Do I need to house my birds now?' question from the 'Frequently Asked Questions' section?

This seems to have been last updated in August 2015 and the information doesn't really fit in with the guidelines on the main page which is dated yesterday ???

Have they not updated that. ::) Doesn't seem to make sense otherwise.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2016, 12:36:19 pm »
Are you moving Some-where-by-the-river?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2016, 12:43:33 pm »
...Yes in the hills, but our internet is so bad that when I realised I couldn't get it to 'play' well enough to edit! (Behaving for 5 seconds now so taking advantage.) However, figured some of it was useful still...

Sadly yes, Linda, landlord is selling, which was a major shock at the time, very out of the blue. Won't be too far away though - will pm you...

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2016, 12:46:16 pm »
I am almost prepared with regards to chickens  :thumbsup:

What are folks doing with regards to geese as ideally they need to graze on grass, any suggestions appreciated
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 01:15:32 pm »
We're going to put ours plus coop in the fruit cage - at least there's not too much they can damage at this time of year. But ... small birds get in anyway, we've never worked out how. And there's the pheasant problem as already mentioned ... we live in the middle of a shoot and seem to be the refuge of choice for all the savvy ones. I've contacted the CA (if anyone was wondering) and apparently pheasants are classed as wild once released, so won't be subject to any restrictions. So they will be thumbing their beaks at my caged-up birds. Not sure when we can do the fruit cage transfer though - what with having to work in daylight hours n'all.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2016, 03:11:50 pm »
Mine will have to go into the polytunnel, with mesh over the louvres.  Just as well it's winter so not too hot.  The geese will feast on the brassicas, and the hens will just scratch up everything else, so bye-bye our winter veg  :(  and Christmas brussels.

What happens at the end of 4 weeks?  These restrictions could go on for ages if the flu makes it over the North Sea.

It's not been said, but poultry breeders should get vaccinated against human flu. They should anyway, but with avian and human flu on the go at the same time, the opportunity for a hybrid strain is increased.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 03:23:40 pm »
Thought I'd posted once, must have lost it.
Geese don't have to be housed, but feed and water in a covered area where wild birds can be deterred,  so if fed inside at nights should be OK.
Its where wId birds collect and leave mess seems to be the worry.

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2016, 03:27:26 pm »
Geese don't have to be housed, but feed and water in a covered area where wild birds can be deterred,  so if fed inside at nights should be OK.

Do you have a citation for this?  Trying to work out where to put the various flocks here ATM.

Thanks

LeeH

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2016, 04:02:13 pm »
I don't know what to do.

We have 11 birds but the house is only for roosting. It's a great house but no way big enough to keep them in all day. 

The run it too big to cover so apart from making up the spare room for them I'm at a loss. :-(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS