Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do you remember?  (Read 16185 times)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Do you remember?
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2010, 05:51:24 pm »
I remember the miners strikes as a young girl, we used to play hide and seek in the dark when the power went off. My mum still lives in that house but it feels smaller now! I had a twin reel tape recorder that I used to tape on with a mike on a tripod you had to put up to the radio! I had a portable radio for xmas one year....it was so modern. We used to drive around the reservoirs in 76 to look at the old buildings that were showing in the drought.
 I bet you were a bobby dazzler in your youth Wizard :wave:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2010, 06:36:54 pm »
I had me moments Lass the big one I came down Lindum Hill in Lincoln and at that time of day one could turn right into Silver St; I was tootalin along nicely and smacked this policeman in the gob and laid him out.Fortunately it was a boll   kin Job Phew. ??? ;D ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2010, 08:20:28 pm »
I remember the jackie mags, (felt very grown up), I had a red chopper bike although my husband doesnt believe it and says it must have been the cheaper tomahawk version just because he is jealous and didnt have one. I remember tacking my pony up and hacking miles to village shows. (very few people had horseboxes then) with a packet of sandwiches in my pocket and enough money in my purse for one class. Not like my girls who get boxed everywhere and enter as many classes as they want! My pony lived out in the field all year round and I was privaledged because my mum bought him a canvas new zealand rug which was all they had in those days, solid and heavy when wet. Not like the amazing things they have nowadays. I remember standing holding my pony on the side of the road for the farrier, our farrier now will not shoe unless they are on a concrete hard standing and preferably in an american barn. If it is raining and he cant shoe inside he will not do it. I do not remember Farriers being so fussy as a child. And most importantly I remember going out riding in the morning with an ordanance survey map and a packet of sandwiches and a bag of crisps and would be gone for the day............. without a mobile phone..... and I suvived!!! My girls think a long ride is 2 hours round the local villages, so why could my pony go happily all day? We would stop for lunch on the edge of a field and my mum never worried at all! I would go out alone (unheard of now) and meet up with friends for races along the local common, one day there were the mounted police there (not sure why, didnt think to ask...........lol) and we pursuaded them to race us, just imagine it....... the mounted police racing a couple of kids across a common, great fun...... cant see it happening now  :)
juliag

Sandy

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2010, 10:34:01 pm »
I remember being 12 and buying Diana comic and a finger of fudge on Saturday, I was very pleased with that!!!! Mum used to buy the Weekend and I loved the song of the week in it and often learned the words!!! ::)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2010, 07:07:03 am »
Yes Sandy I also remember being 12 It was 1948 and a special postage stamp was issued to commemerate the Olympic Games.Brother Billy had the Dandy and I had the Beano.Have you seen the price they make at the auction today Phew ought to have saved them all :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2010, 10:39:23 pm »
George, what can you remember about the War? I'd love to know what you were aware of, as a child the same age as my son is now.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2010, 07:18:25 am »
Hello Vair.Being a country lad and still am at heart I had a good war by this I mean we lived at a place called Hawton a small village just outside Newark in Nottinghamshire.We of course had the same restrictions as everyone else.Food was never a problem.Things like Tea and coffee fresh fish was in short supply.All kept a pig for killing,hence my tale in killing a pig 60 yrs ago.Most people had a large garden where chickens and ducks were kept along with the veg being grown.Any thing not eaten was given to the pigs.This is why you see I cannot understand you cannot give the pigs this and you cannot give the pigs that and you cannot give them the house waste bluddi L if its been fit for you and yours to eat why can't it go in the pig bucket.My Grandfather my Father and I until we left the farm and came to live in the village always fed the pigs the house waste Potato peels carrot parsnip celery cabbage cauli every thing chocolate cake ah ah we had so did the pigs,The only thing they got we didn't was barley meal.The war in Newark well we only saw two German air craft one attempted to bomb the Ransomes and Marles Bearing Factory on Beacon Hill Road and missed and the other was a ME 109 that had been shot up and crashed in the woods at Cotham the next village.of course all the lads from miles around went to see it.The only other scare the enemy dropped some land mines on the railway marshalling yards 5 miles away that made a noise and frightened us.Sweets were in short supply so were cigs and pipe tobacco One of the worst things I recall was clothing We never had enough coupons to get more Young boys grow like kidney beans you know We always had plenty of pullover and cardies as well as socks Mother used to knit them and for other people as well and didn't charge money she had a ball of wool Hence a pull over with different bands of colour round it.There was all ways something to do helping out for a few pence. Alot of things were done on the swap job Lots of kids saved postage stamps.I think a totally different war to the poor people who lived in the big cities with bombing every night  it must have been awful.Perhaps you may deduce why I am anti EU and all such things :farmer: :wave:

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2010, 11:34:45 pm »
Hey Wizard that's fascinating! Was your dad in the army during the war? Mine was... even though I am "only" 44 my dad would have been 92 if he was still alive. He was in the regular army in India well before war broke out.
My mum and oldest siblings were in a tiny Scottish village during the war and didnt have to go short on much - there were so many farms, rationing didnt affect them so badly apart from clothes etc..
By the way, my dad was English and my ancestors come from your neck of the woods...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2010, 07:28:45 am »
Hello Vair how nice of you to share your post with me .No Dad was in a reserve occupation with being in farming.Farmers and fishermen and coal miners didn't go to war.They did their bit at home.Much like you, Dad was born 26th Oct 1909,so he would be a 100yrs old if he was still about and Mother 99yrs old.Yes it was a different world in the country to in the towns and cities.This is probably why I like to tell you about how we did it at  home and at my Uncles in the 1940's. No one ever wasted any food pigs ate what we didn't.There was no such thing as sell by dates and prepackaged this and prepackaged that.Newark at that time of day was only a small town or a big village if you like.So with all the farming every one knew some one and there was always a rabbit or a chicken some where or a few sausages or a bit of pig.I don't know if there was up your way a thing called a pig club They were much used in Newark as was allotments.See all my school pals were town lads they used to enjoy "spud pickin" fortnight nearly all had a cwt of spuds as a bonus for their Mams since most Dads were away at the war and a bag of spuds lasted a good while.Fish was a thing that was a treat in our house although I HATE FISH  but the other three really enjoy it Billy still does.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS