Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312354 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1095 on: April 08, 2018, 02:14:41 pm »
Out in the sun, (for the 2nd day in a row) de-thatching and cutting down rushes in a couple of paddocks , the chickens chasing me for the insects that get thrown up ( and hoping I will take a tumble as the cutter runs away from me    :)   )  extracted apple juice with my steamer and will bottle the elderberry wine, Oh and ordered 2 new walking sticks, I seem to break them a lot  :(

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1096 on: April 08, 2018, 11:03:13 pm »
Talking to my mother who is staying with us. She's 87 and tells me the same story over and over again so I don't have to actually listen just go Mmm at intervals. Hoping to be able to take her out tomorrow,

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1097 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:37 pm »
Checking over the trailer for the show season, doing outside jobs in the sun, yes  :sunshine:  and cutting down to size my new  carbon fibre walking sticks, they'd better last as quite ( as in very ) expensive. and getting the hay making gear out to photograph for selling, thats an era over in my life  :'( , and not my choice regretably.
However if it doesn't sell , it would be a shame to having it sitting in the garage when theres grass to be cut , just have to ask for help, not that men do that sort of thing ...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1098 on: April 16, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »
Moving a mare and foal.  The second time in 2 years that an RDA mare has had a BOGOF.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #1099 on: April 22, 2018, 05:19:58 pm »
Send livestock off to a customer :) checking lambing ewes, checking pregnant buffalo and feeding everything. Going to be doing bit of gardening later, this weather is just too good ATM
Have a great one guys!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1100 on: April 22, 2018, 06:47:47 pm »
Photographing and making a short video of the haymaking equipment that going up for sale  :(  , on the other hand swallows singing  :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1101 on: May 08, 2018, 12:45:20 am »
Gathered, vaccinated, wormed and re-marked all the lambs. Also checked the ewes' teeth, feet and tits...... all on my own, with no stress to myself or the animals, and in about an hour.

When we first started, that took three of us at least twice as long to do, and for fewer animals.  What's more, I am pleased to report that I managed not to protect myself against pasturella, pulpy kidney etc this year..... That also makes a change compared with the first couple of times I did vaccinations!  ;D

Oh, and I fed this wee chap about twelvety times!

I'm only really posting this to say yes, it does get easier with practice. Actually, It's only when I look back now, that I realise just how far we've come. So, if that's you too, take a moment to be proud of what you've achieved and give yourself a pat on the back. However, if you're just starting out and struggling, take heart - give it a few years, and everything will become so much easier after you've done it all a few times.

We also had a visit from some church friends, who it turns out have always dreamed of doing what we do now. That would make them the fourth such couple we've met in three weeks. So, no matter how hard the hard bits get, there are loads of folks out there who would love to be living this way too, and it turns out even look on jealously (yeah, I know!!  :roflanim: ).

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:36:19 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #1102 on: May 08, 2018, 08:46:13 am »
Yesterday morning I did exactly the same thing, also on my own!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1103 on: May 08, 2018, 11:12:00 pm »
Visiting the local garden centre to spend yet more money. This year I am investing in more ornamental plants for my garden since I had had to cut down on what I do. I still have plenty of space to grow vegetables and have put in yet another fruit tree in my front garden. A nectarine this time. It's only been there for a few weeks and is covered in tiny fruit. I didn't even notice any blossom.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1104 on: May 09, 2018, 06:24:27 pm »
cutting up mealworms, for the swallows , who like the cat's/Dogs/Goats/Chickens have me well trained.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:48:43 pm by Rupert the bear »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1105 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:47 pm »
My New wildlife/trail cam arrived this evening, I have been reading the Chinglish instructions to set it up, we shall see

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1106 on: May 18, 2018, 10:20:35 pm »
Busy in the garden, sowing veggie seeds: beetroot, chard, cavelo nero kale, salad leaves, cos lettuce, radishes, rocket and wild flowers. Also got one small bed covered in weed suppressant membrane round the jostaberry. There's a bird feeder in the same bed and the birds love both so lots of seeds dropped. I spent this evening with a heated pad on my back and wishing I had the sense to know my limits.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1107 on: May 25, 2018, 04:52:25 pm »
SD a GDPR question. 

I am secretary to a small group of widespread people.  Up to now every year we have issued each member with a list of other members and their contact details.  Do I take it that this is no longer allowed?  We have not done such a list this year but have had one request by a member for another members details to organise transport to a show.

I am not sure how much I am allowed to give out.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1108 on: May 25, 2018, 09:14:30 pm »
Looking at the photo's and video from my new trailcam .
I'm impressed good night time images and video, and daytime is very very good. What I've learnt is the most important thing is positioning and video length, and putting in the largest memory card it will take (oh and er, ::)
even if its a nice warm sunlit morning at 5am one must remember to wear clothes when letting the chickens out !  and the answer to the questions your mentally thinking is NO  and about £50 off ebay )

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1109 on: May 26, 2018, 03:09:38 pm »
In the wonderfully warm sunshine I've been topping the unused fields with the tractor and cutting grass around the woodland with my "get dragged along " pedestrian cutter, the swallows flying about after the insects and behind me a rabble of feathered stragglers scratching at the newly exposed land.
I've now come in doors a my right knee has decided to bend in both directions  again and requires the brace that the dog is so fond of , so a tug of war with much growing and snarling on both sides between a possessive rottweiler and a portly man with only one supporting leg to stand on. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS