Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312368 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1080 on: March 27, 2018, 08:41:51 pm »
doing housework mainly. Parents were away all  afternoon, so I got to practise my housewife skills  :roflanim:  On the plus side the weathers better so Ive managed to clean the parlour, as in freshen it up with more paint, re-do the floor :)  ready for next batch of calvers in few months ;) So all hands on deck this week :D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1081 on: March 27, 2018, 09:23:28 pm »
Awww, thanks [member=42855]waterbuffalofarmer[/member] . Thankfully I'm pretty sure this was just 'one of those things', and that I couldn't have prevented it, so I'm not beating myself up too much. It was still a horrid experience though, yet I'm choosing to tell myself that really this is as bad as it gets (I really, really hope!  :fc: ).

There was one funny outcome though.  Have you ever struggled to get rid of cold callers on the phone? Well my mobile rang just as I was about to start feeding our wee orphan lamb. It was a nice lady who wanted to ask "If you could replace any number of windows in your house for free, how many would you choose?" (Great - an un-answerable 'have you stopped beating your wife yet?' question - my favourite kind!).

Thankfully, just at that moment, wee orphan lamb let out a massive bleat. The lady on the phone said "Oh, how lovely - I remember when mine were like that. How old is yours then?".  "Oh, only a couple of days", I said.

Unfortunately my sleep-deprived brain then thought fit to add "I think this one's just upset with me because I shot her mother this morning"  :dunce: .
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:25:01 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #1082 on: March 27, 2018, 09:29:58 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim:  that's funny that! I bet it got rid of her in no time  ;D  they do seem to call at the most inconvenient of times tho..... My brother pretends to be another person on the phone to coldcallers, he puts on a hilarious accent and they actually fall for it ;) I don't think it will happen again to the others tbh. It's probably just an isolated incidents. Hope her lamb does well. You are doing an amazing job!  :thumbsup: :trophy:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1083 on: March 27, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »
Womble, thats brilliant !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1084 on: March 27, 2018, 11:55:52 pm »
Womble, I just choked.  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:  Bet she hung up pretty quickly.

PS if you spot blue flahing lights outside, make sure your gun is safely locked away.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #1085 on: March 29, 2018, 12:22:35 am »
I'll have to remember that line [member=2128]Womble[/member]! In all seriousness though sorry to hear the sad side but do hope you do write about it - you have a way of capturing the practical bits step by step that is often helpful and instructive to others who haven't yet had to do whatever it is.

On our little farm we managed to get the three little pigs out into their paddock. Well not today actually, but at the weekend, just haven't had the chance to catch up on here since! Five days on and they haven't escaped yet and the electric fence is still working :)

Also slaughtered our second pair of cockerels from last autumn's hatch. They got butchered Monday night after work and dressed out at 1.7 and 2.3kg which we're pleased with.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1086 on: March 29, 2018, 07:47:19 am »
Thanks Black Sheep. We managed to twin the orphan lamb on yesterday, so I'm feeling a little bit better about things today, so yes, I'll write it up when I get chance, as there's loads of learning in what happened.

Today's learning: Colostrum tastes really weird! #thingsyouknewyouweregoingtohavetotryjustonce.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1087 on: March 29, 2018, 08:41:02 am »
Today's learning: Colostrum tastes really weird! #thingsyouknewyouweregoingtohavetotryjustonce.
But makes a wonderful egg custard without needing eggs.

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #1088 on: March 30, 2018, 09:37:43 pm »
Showing our 2year old palomino section b filly.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1089 on: April 01, 2018, 09:49:50 am »
Found out that the hen we thought had gone broody four days ago, is in fact dead.

Now we're not sure if she was ever broody, or if she just died whilst laying an egg, and we're really unobservant!  :dunce:

Er, Happy Easter Everybody!  :o

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1090 on: April 01, 2018, 11:25:53 am »
Found out that the hen we thought had gone broody four days ago, is in fact dead.

Now we're not sure if she was ever broody, or if she just died whilst laying an egg, and we're really unobservant!  :dunce:

Er, Happy Easter Everybody!  :o

Dont worry , she might get resurrected tomorrow   :fc: :fc: :fc:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1091 on: April 01, 2018, 02:58:02 pm »
Staggering around tapping in loose fence posts, taking a long time as I keep stopping to watch the birds.
Dawn chorus this morning was exceptional , sitting out side with a mug of tea a dusting of snow on the ground , a clear blue sky and the birds just going for it,  you cant buy that .

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1092 on: April 02, 2018, 11:12:01 am »
Spent this morning tidying mucking out the porch in advance of some friends coming up to see our lambs, only for them to get within two miles and turn back because of the extreme weather conditions. We hadn't even noticed, and still have 24hr old lambs outside!

P.S. for avoidance of doubt, there is no snow lying here whatsoever. Well, only the remnants of the piles the JCB left when they dug us out a few weeks ago!  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1093 on: April 04, 2018, 07:18:29 am »
OK. Spoke too soon. There's three inches of snow lying now  :-[ .

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1094 on: April 05, 2018, 08:55:54 pm »
Wondering why keeping sheep was a good idea!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS