Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312444 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1035 on: December 21, 2017, 05:38:46 pm »
Swimming. I have been nursing a dodgy knee for a week or so and needed some exercise to went and did a few lengths of the local pool.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1036 on: December 24, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »
Making Zwartbaubles  ;D

Full instructions are here in case anybody fancies a laugh. No, I'm not bored at all, honest!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 07:02:14 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1037 on: December 30, 2017, 03:34:20 pm »
If you ever own a Skoda Fabia and one of the windscreen wipers stops moving, take my advice and just trade it in or scrap it  >:( .

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1038 on: December 30, 2017, 04:11:13 pm »
If you ever own a Skoda Fabia and one of the windscreen wipers stops moving, take my advice and just trade it in or scrap it  >:( .
but keep the wiper  :innocent:
Has the linkage failed or the motor ?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1039 on: December 30, 2017, 10:13:46 pm »
Recovering from a very long trip home from our son's home in the South of France and getting to bed at 4am yesterday morning to be woken five hours later by my OH who had discovered that we had a leak in the spare bedroom. Today was spent sorting things out.

I was horrified to find my box of photos of the children when they were small was soaking wet and I thought I'd lost all the photos but, amazingly, the inside of the box was still dry and the photos were fine.

In all, it looks like the damage wasn't as bad as it looked at first. I've ordered a dehumidifier and we've had the heating on so it will dry out eventually.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1040 on: December 30, 2017, 10:25:28 pm »
Eeek! That doesn't sound good, MGOM! Had it been leaking the whole time you'd been away, or had it only just started?

Just the linkage, which had popped off one of its crappy ball joints. The garage wanted £200 to install a complete new linkage assembly, but since a new push rod on its own only cost £3.75, I thought I'd give it a go myself.

First it turns out that there's no easy way of squeezing the new rod on, but once I'd figured that out, 10 turns of a G-clamp were not enough to make it fit on, whilst 10.5 turns were enough to crack the plastic! What an utterly carp design!!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1041 on: December 30, 2017, 10:47:42 pm »
Eeek! That doesn't sound good, MGOM! Had it been leaking the whole time you'd been away, or had it only just started?

Just the linkage, which had popped off one of its crappy ball joints. The garage wanted £200 to install a complete new linkage assembly, but since a new push rod on its own only cost £3.75, I thought I'd give it a go myself.

First it turns out that there's no easy way of squeezing the new rod on, but once I'd figured that out, 10 turns of a G-clamp were not enough to make it fit on, whilst 10.5 turns were enough to crack the plastic! What an utterly carp design!!

Heat it, I used the hot air gun to take it past the brittle stage to the elastic stage then popped it together  ( that was the second one , having found out the same way you did.. )

Ermingtrude

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #1042 on: January 11, 2018, 08:52:41 pm »
T I H B M...

working out if there is an easier way to move sheep hurdles.  I have 35 of the 6 foot ones, that are currently being used to allow 4 wiltshires to graze some unfenced ( unfenced within the land - if they get out they can't leave the property area, but I don't want to fence this area at the moment ) grass. I move them once a day, so at least half the enclosed area is new (nice, long, ungrazed for 2y ) grass, but it takes hours. I currently move all of one half of the circle to the middle, and leave it dog-toothed to take up the slack. Then move the outer edge outwards, to new grass. There must be an easier way. The good news is, no bingo wings for me with all the lifting.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1043 on: January 12, 2018, 07:57:32 am »
Could you fasten the sheep into a 4 hurdle pen, then dismantle the others and carry to the new location, errect and release the sheep.

You are still carrying all the hurdles but not having to worry about escaping sheep and losing the connections.  It will also be quicker as you are plonking the hurdles where you want them to end up and not crabbing up the field.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1044 on: January 26, 2018, 06:56:54 pm »
 convincing the company Doctor that I really am sufficiently recovered and fit for work   :excited:
now waiting for management to decide if its a truck or a desk I drive on Monday

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #1045 on: January 26, 2018, 07:17:08 pm »
Tidying up the polytunnel, a long overdue job this winter.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #1046 on: January 27, 2018, 11:05:35 pm »
trying to save a water buffalo's life and alas being unsuccessful :'( On the plus side I babysat my niece for a few hrs which was nice :)
Hope evryone elses day went well :thumbsup:
Nights!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1047 on: January 29, 2018, 07:48:04 pm »
Back to work driving , 10 weeks of inactivity and I'm worn out !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1048 on: January 29, 2018, 10:58:06 pm »
Visiting my BIL on his 68th birthday. He has severe learning disabilities and is blind. Not convinced he knows who we are and he certainly isn't bothered whether we go or not but we do anyway.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1049 on: February 03, 2018, 10:42:12 pm »
Trying to recover from my first week back at work,I've missed so much and have spent most of my time catching up on stuff , accident forms, sickness statements, Christmas and New Year stuff ie: hugs and kisses from the girls in the office  ;) . and a frozen staff Christmas dinner put by .
Frightening that during the time I was off 2 other drivers passed away and another one diagnosed terminally ill , puts things into perspective, Driving the truck was a bit nerve wracking too .
Now a weekend trying to catch up on the croft and at the same time "resting"  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS