Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 332041 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #555 on: December 25, 2015, 07:31:19 pm »
I had a lovely morning picking up and cobbling together a 3 strand electric tape fence after some hairy beasty got among it and broke the tape getting out..  Ankle deep mud and surface water, cold hands but got it done and  and  and wandered about the other field in rare dry moments  then realised my mobile had come out of an old fleece pocket at some point..

Another 3x up and down both fields and eventually found it somewhere I'd looked already!  Fresh air and exercise

Next I had a message from an elderly neighbour asking for plumber contacts.  Their boiler died and the two of them were cold - he's 80 odd and seemed a little confused when I called back .  he seemed to be asking about a leak outside but it was def the boiler...  Took a while to give him the right number so hope all is fixed, his wife was back anyway so not alone but I was a bit concerned.

Retired indoors and finished off some wine by mulling it as I had,the yen for it.  Just laying about since, other than egg collection and feeding   of course.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:34:03 pm by ellied »
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #556 on: December 27, 2015, 12:22:53 am »
Spent a wonderful day celebrating Christmas with our family.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #557 on: December 27, 2015, 09:12:07 am »
Trekking through shin deep mud and getting an escape artist back in a field. Stood there for ages mending a fence, only for it to be trashed again by the same escape artist. Next mission put her in a sturdy field, rip down and rebuild this fence from scratch. :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #558 on: December 29, 2015, 05:31:37 pm »
...fixing corrugated pvc sheeting onto the office shed roof as there is some water getting in under the roofing felt  :rant:  Hopefully it will do the job.  Also fixing and re-aligning the tv aerial up on the house.  Pot of soup has also been made, the stove is now on, numerous cups of tea have been had and I'm cream crackered.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #559 on: December 29, 2015, 05:37:02 pm »
Usual routine but such a nice day, Dan and I took Meg and Bryn to Monikie Country Park. Even at 15, Meg loves a walk - espcially one with lots of sniffs. Bryn had an AMAZING time - he met Stanley, the Norfolk Terrier, Reuben the Labradoodle (he was fun), Caden the collie (he'd forgotten how to play after being attached by a Lhasa Apso but after cuddles and licks from Bryn, he remembered again) and Roddie the Cocker Spaniel, who was best fun of all.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #560 on: December 29, 2015, 06:11:08 pm »
Making soup and baked potatoes and taking them down to some outlying houses along the river Calder, this time they are being looked after, people coming out with groceries for them. Went to knock on an open door, no floor! It was all down in the cellar. Fire engine came while I was there, i went on to next terrace, army turned up as I left.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #561 on: December 29, 2015, 06:21:26 pm »
Been preparing for a storm today, high winds due any minute. Cleaned out all the buildings yesterday and disinfected them all, so one less job today. Busy day tomorrow, tagging, dosing and registering sheep as p[edigree, before year end. Nos da :tired:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #562 on: December 29, 2015, 07:42:32 pm »
Electric fencing and moving sheep a few miles to new grazing. Lovely sunny and dry here for a change.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #563 on: December 29, 2015, 11:46:32 pm »
Having a last few cuddles with my baby grandson before he and his parents left at 2pm.  :( :(

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #564 on: December 30, 2015, 03:17:16 pm »
slurping through mud back and fore to the sheds to top up the hay feeders and trying to make water thats blowing horizontally go into water troughs  :raining:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #565 on: December 30, 2015, 03:37:35 pm »
Trying to make stew without butternut squash and trying to find an egg less choc pudding; who knew cooking would be this easy ::)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #566 on: December 30, 2015, 08:57:32 pm »
Picking up the gardening tools that Frank blew all over the garden then sleeping off the effects of having family to stay.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #567 on: January 01, 2016, 01:19:50 am »
organising an ambulance to take OH to A&E for post-op leg issue only to end up doing a 200 mile round journey to go pick him up again when they discharged him an hour later (still with very swollen red leg and unable to walk)  :-\
Surely 2016 will be a better year for me, not sure I could handle another like 2015!

Happy Hogmanay folks  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #568 on: January 02, 2016, 08:22:21 pm »
putting new hinges on shed door and 2 new bolts after storm Eva ripped off the old ones and storm Gertrude is coming at us full steam ahead!
Burying a goat, filling up feed bins and fixing the water pipe connector so now I don't have to walk through a muddy foot bath every time I pass the outside tap  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #569 on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »
Been shopping today, watched sherlock this afternoon, not spoiling it by saying anything though! The weather was a little warmer and the rain equally as light, hardly any wind, but the ground still very wet. ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS