Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Hebridean sheep thread !  (Read 14447 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: The Hebridean sheep thread !
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 07:21:51 pm »
I know, I know. I just wanted to ask because we missed one of our Manx/Shetland cross lambs with the dreaded rubber band, so I reckon we'll send him away early with the Zwartbles rather than having the hassle of keeping him entire over the winter.

Going by your figures Big Light, that's a fair loss on the return, but I think we'll take it on the chin. Better that way than worrying about him jumping fences all winter!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 10:22:56 pm »
We leave nearly all our Heb tup lambs entire, then send them off at 16 months.  Several reasons we've chosen this age, but mainly because they have made condition after the winter (15 - 22 kgs deadweight), they haven't started heating up for the breeding season, and we need the space when we take the next generation off the ewes at 4 months.  All the tup lambs live in with the stock tups.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 06:50:13 am »
We have a couple of shetlands whichwe cross with the heb which we use for the early lamb to fill the freezer the cross shetlands are a bit heavier than the pure about 10kg ish of meat
As for loss not really if your  kill and butcher cost is about £57 you will find most of the weight is in legs and shoulders which you should get a premium for but before Xmas the input should be perhaps a couple of pounds if that in medicine and some fuel so you wont make a fortune but far cheaper than the shops if its fot your self you could also do whatever processes you are happy doing to make it more economical

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 07:44:20 am »
Ah sorry, I meant loss as in the difference in deadweight sending this year compared to next. I'd rather not even think about financial profit / loss!  ;D   I'll leave it there on this thread though, as I don't want to detract from the Heb discussion.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS