Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: copper deficiency  (Read 3107 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
copper deficiency
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:01:38 pm »
after getting bloods done on sheep and goats, they are all copper deficient to a degree. Can give Copinox to my goats but it does state it shouldn't be used in sheep known to be susceptible to copper toxicity i.e. North Ronaldsay & Texel, mine are Boreray and Shetland, should they get the Copinox or not?  ???
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: copper deficiency
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 04:33:11 pm »
It's just Ronnies which are more susceptible to copper poisoning.  Our (bad) neighbour used to give his Texels something or other with copper in - maybe that's why they died right left and centre.

Have a look at Co-Secure.  It's a bolus which gives slow release copper in a way which ensures absorption.  It's given once a year at most, ideally at the end of winter.  Other preparations given orally give sporadic coverage.

You can tell if your coloured primitives have a problem with copper absorption because their fleece will show a horizontal greying line.  Also a grey ruff and cheek wool (in those with woolly faces).  I believe it happens in coloured cattle too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 04:42:53 pm »
Our goats get cosecure boluses, I haven't checked the sheep for deficiency but goats have a higher threshold for toxicity and a higher demand. I forgot when they last got them, but Nobby should I think still have one working away unless he brought it back up sometime! Sheep shouldn't be a problem if you're supplementing a known deficiency, but have a google of toxicity signs just in case

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:51:24 pm »
thanks for that  :thumbsup:
thinking I will give the goats the boluses routinely every 6 months as we seem to have a copper issue up here anyway but will research about the sheep just incase, don't want to kill them with kindness!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS