Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heb lambs.  (Read 2727 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Heb lambs.
« on: May 23, 2015, 03:38:31 pm »
All my hebs have had their lambs and I am know starting to think about what to register and what to send for meat? How can you tell a good ewe/ram lamb from one that should not be registered. I only want to keep ones that are good as I dont have the space to carry pasengers just the ones that will be sold or keped for breeding?  I i were to post pictures would anybody be able to tell if one had serious faults? I have checked them all so far and here jaws are fine and the heb lambs are all healthy.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Heb lambs.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 03:58:41 pm »
If there are any tup lambs you think might turn out good enough for breeding, you don't have to decide til slaughter point.  As long as they are birth notified you can register tups whenever.  Any you are sure are rubbish, and you want to castrate them, then make that decision now.

Again, with ewe lambs, you will be birth notifying the lot anyway, even DOAs.  As long as you register them by October, you pay the lamb rate.  You could still register them next year, but it costs a little more.

Trying to choose which to keep at this age is a bit of a mug's game - there's no way you can see in such a young lamb how they will turn out.  There might be a wee cracker or two in there, which strike you straight away as ones you want to keep, but give the others a chance over the summer then decide just before you register them.

Sorry, but it's impossible to judge a sheep or lamb without handling it.  A picture alone is not enough info.   So let them all grow a bit, get your birth notifications off early if you want, or leave it til later in the year and register at the same time.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Re: Heb lambs.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 05:36:43 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS