Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dry hatching experiment  (Read 33407 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Dry hatching experiment
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 06:54:17 pm »
I have been following the dry hatch with you and have 7 out of 10 fertile light sussex on the go. Lockdown thursday for sunday hatch.  :fc:
I havent been weighing mine but have put  a little water in as you said when you found the weight loss more than expected. So we will see on sunday.
I have had some Dead in shells in the past which is always sad to see.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2015, 07:15:15 pm »
good luck for Sunday then  :)
Is it time to retire yet?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 11:55:48 pm »
No probs for the hijack. It's related. Broodies are seen as a problem and can be if you don't want them to be but the old boys always said 'never waste a broody'. So I'm thinking that now I have more flat land I need to set up some kind of nursery pen. Needs to be 100% rat proof and I'm wondering whether to have a bigger pen with lots of small houses and just put them in when they want to sit and let them get on with it, or create a few smaller pens which could be rested between hatches.

No doubt letting a broody raise chicks is easier in many ways. You don't have to keep them warm, clean them out (usually) or anything else. As long as there is fresh water and food, mum will raise them to 5 weeks or more no problem.

As for the question on opening the failed eggs, I did in a few batches and they were very wet which is really why I concluded that too much humidity was the issue. I must look into egg sac sizes. Problem with copper marans eggs is that you can't see a lot!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 10:42:41 am »
so Stereo what size of pen would you have for a nursery if you go down the "several smaller pens" route? And how will you make it 100% rat proof?

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 12:12:43 pm »
7 of these work well

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 04:09:27 pm »
so Stereo what size of pen would you have for a nursery if you go down the "several smaller pens" route? And how will you make it 100% rat proof?

That is the question. In terms of rats I was considering rolls of galvanised weld mesh with small holes. Build a wooden pen frame with the verticals the same width apart as the mesh. Take off the turf in the pen. Roll the mesh down one side, along the ground and then up the other in a U shape. Then replace the turf. Obviously you need a door to access so this would need to be well fitting too. Actually rats have never taken any of our chicks when they have a mother with them. They are more interested in tunneling in for the feed.

Not sure on the size. If you are going to have it in constant use it would need to be quite big and you would move the house / dust bath / feeders etc. around but if you could rest it for a month between each hatch, less so. I'm thinking of maybe 8' x 8'? It would need to be well sheltered with a low internal shelter / dust bath area and a small house. The other issue I suppose is that you would want the grass to be really short when the hens first sits and strimming might upset other broodies.

The other alternative is one big pen as I mentioned with lots of small houses. Or mobile pens.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 10:44:00 pm »
Update.... 1 out and another pipped 2 days early!  I think this is day 20.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2015, 05:20:55 pm »
Lockdown today. Target weight 1600ish, actual weight 1585. Added 1 channel of water over the process which has now evaporated. So weights are close if a little under which I'm not worried about. Now stopped the turning, filled both channels and will wait and see.....

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2015, 05:22:40 pm »
tense or what???  :fc:

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2015, 05:56:22 pm »
Lockdown today. Target weight 1600ish, actual weight 1585. Added 1 channel of water over the process which has now evaporated. So weights are close if a little under which I'm not worried about. Now stopped the turning, filled both channels and will wait and see.....
are you putting water in now that they are on lockdown?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2015, 09:10:38 pm »
Wow - that seems to have flown by! Good luck - don't think you could have got closer on weight! How are they looking with candling (or were looking prior to lock-down)?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2015, 10:58:34 pm »
are you putting water in now that they are on lockdown?

Ye, both channels filled.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2015, 10:59:33 pm »
Wow - that seems to have flown by! Good luck - don't think you could have got closer on weight! How are they looking with candling (or were looking prior to lock-down)?

To be honest I didn't have time to check so they are all in.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »
Pipping! Should be tonight for hatch. Everything crossed.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2015, 06:57:10 pm »
Pipping! Should be tonight for hatch. Everything crossed.
good luck for a full hatch.  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS