Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dry hatching experiment  (Read 33528 times)

Stereo

  • Joined Aug 2012
Re: Dry hatching experiment
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2015, 05:46:02 pm »
Got the 3 shrunk wrapped copper marans out easily this evening. Now drying and all look fine. I've found the key is not to panic if you get shrink wrap. Give it a good 12 hours. The chick won't die or shouldn't anyway and you reduce the chances of causing bleeding. I generally try to peel the shell off first and then wet the membrane with warm water and gently peel away.

No sign of anything else with the other 8 eggs. I know for sure one is an empty. Just candelled a copper maran and it's full but nothing doing. But I couldn't stop the chicks trying to jump out so have left it for now. Should be able to get them in the brooder in the morning and see what's up with the others.

I have to say the chicks that have hatched are very feisty and strong, already jumping up on the electric hen, feeding and drinking well.

Q

  • Joined Apr 2013
Re: Dry hatching experiment
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2015, 07:53:38 pm »
I have to say the chicks that have hatched are very feisty and strong,
Yes I would say that about mine compared to other hatches - would usually be the strain of the bird rather than the hatching method maybe.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Stereo

  • Joined Aug 2012
Re: Dry hatching experiment
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2015, 11:32:53 pm »
Maybe yes. I've got a lot of marans in this lot and they seem hard as nails to me. Rarely get any health issues. Having said that, they just seem sparkler than my hatches last year. Maybe just my imagination.

Stereo

  • Joined Aug 2012
Re: Dry hatching experiment
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2015, 01:16:45 pm »
Results are in:

Set 11 Copper Marans (first year hens), 9 hatched, 2 dead in shells = roughly 80% hatch. Good.
Set 6 Exchequers: 4 hatched, 1 dead in shell, 1 empty = 80% of viable eggs hatched. Good.
Set 4 Welsummer. 4 hatched (and 3 are girls) = 100%. Good.
Set 5 x Light Sussex. 1 hatched. 3 dead in shells, 1 empty = 25% of viable eggs. Bad.

So taking out the sussex eggs, well over 80% which I am well happy with,especially given that the marans are only a year old. The Light sussex eggs I have been setting are from one hen only. She lays a darker but much stronger egg than her sisters and I've been trying to cultivate that quality. However, previous attempts have resulted in lots of dead in shells and anything that did hatch has been a cockerel. So obviously that is a dead end which is a shame. She is a hybrid strain and all the others I bought have either died or are laying porous eggs after 18 months. Not overly bothered as I have bought in some trad strain pullets last year and this year to replace them. I'll give up on trying to hatch from her and start hatching from my new birds when they are older.

So, overall, a great result, skewed by one bird with a problem. Taking out the sussex and the empty exchequer,  I've hatched 16 out of 19.

I did have to break out 3 of the marans but they are doing fine and I feel this is down to the octagon drying them out too fast. So, that's the next thing to sort.  Dry hatching it is in future.

 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS