Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead hen  (Read 1801 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Dead hen
« on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:39 am »
Last night one of my young Ixworths was roosting in a nest box and looking a bit sorry for herself. I took her out and put her on a perch but she looked wobbly and was holding her wings down. In the nest box was an egg with barely any shell material. I cleaned it out and popped her back in as she didn't look able to roost. Not surprisingly this morning she was a gonner. Any idea what caused this? Some kind of laying trauma? She's less than a year old.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Dead hen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:56:50 am »
Any sign of a respiratory problem? Was she a bit on the thin side? just starting to lay for the first time?

Could be many things, Peritonitis, Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma etc

Are you up for opening her up and having a look inside?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 12:32:20 pm »
Hens will roost in the nest box if they are cold or sick Stereo. It could well have been a heart problem or some other organ underdevelopment, which is why young hens should not be bred from.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 12:54:37 pm »
Just had a look at her. Nice and heavy but face is all purple so I assume heart problem. No previous signs of anything wrong and rest of the flock are all looking chirpy. I don't generally breed from anything until it's had a molt. Exception this year are Copper Marans as it's taken me so long to get decent dark layers, I'm taking a chance and hatching a load from year old hens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS