Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to mince meat  (Read 10537 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
How to mince meat
« on: August 13, 2014, 08:57:20 pm »
Hi all,

I am trying to mince meat for sausages but have a bit of a problem, the first mince is with a 6mm die and cutting blade everything great but then I add my seasoning and chilled water remove blade, 6mm die and put a 16mm die, after mixing by hand I put it In the mincer ready to make sausages but the meat turns to paste as if I am working the meat to much. Hope someone can help?.

HappyHippy

Re: How to mince meat
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:24 pm »
It's most likely that the meat is getting too hot during the process I'd think  :thinking: Especially if it's a domestic type mincer you're using. I had a similar thing so now get the butcher to mince it for me with their quicker commercial machine  ;)
Put your meat in the freezer for half an hour before mincing, mince it into a bowl over ice, mix your ingredients quickly and chill again before stuffing. Keeping everything really cold is the key.
HTH

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:55:29 pm »
This is worth knowing. I plan on having a go at making some sausages as I want to make gluten free ones. I thought of using rice instead of rusk.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:17:41 am »
I had exactly the same problem and found that any fatty bits just clogged up the mincer completely. Since then I have done the same as HH, get the butcher to do the mincing  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:21:52 am »
Not to sure about rice instead of rusk. During the whole process I keep the meat chilled at all times and mince in small batches but still turns to paste on the second pass in the mincer, I am going to try using a 8mm or 10mm first then use the 16mm on the second pass.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:26:24 am »
Let me know how you get on. I won't have the option to get the butcher to mince mine when my pigs go so would be grateful for any tips!

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 12:49:41 pm »
I think I have three options to get the sausage meat to the right texture.

1  try different die size with first mix.

2  buy a sausage stuffer.

3. Get the butcher to mince the meat and make the sausages.

If all that fails buy a burger press lol.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 02:07:27 pm »
I think I have three options to get the sausage meat to the right texture.

1  try different die size with first mix.

2  buy a sausage stuffer.

3. Get the butcher to mince the meat and make the sausages.

If all that fails buy a burger press lol.
Option 4 - Get the butcher to mince the meat and make the sausages yourself
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:11:12 pm »
This is worth knowing. I plan on having a go at making some sausages as I want to make gluten free ones. I thought of using rice instead of rusk.
Use the heels of gluten free loaves to make fine breadcrumbs and use them instead of rusk :thumbsup:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:55 pm »
Are you putting it through the second time without the blade in the mincer? If so there's your problem.

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 12:13:39 am »
The first time in the mincer with blade and 6mm die then put all minced meat into fridge to chill for about 8 hours then out the fridge and mixed in my seasoning and chilled water then back into the fridge while I prepare the mincer. The mincer only has a 16mm die no blade and the meat turns to a paste. I am going to try next week with the fist mince at 8 or 10 mm what ever die I can get my hands on. I will let everyone know how I get on.

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 08:46:20 am »
Spoke to a butcher yesterday he told me use the largest die on the second mince and put the meat into the freezer to get the temp of the meat right down and crystallise the meat. Will trial this next week.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 08:32:20 am »
When we've made sausages in the past we have marinated pork bits with the herbs/spices then minced. Cooled and then straight into skins???

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 03:17:08 pm »
I have to say I don't mince it a second  time as I like mine quite chunky. We get the butcher to mince ours and then I just thoroughly mix in what I want to make the sausage mince and then stuff them.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:47 pm »
The first time in the mincer with blade and 6mm die then put all minced meat into fridge to chill for about 8 hours then out the fridge and mixed in my seasoning and chilled water then back into the fridge while I prepare the mincer. The mincer only has a 16mm die no blade and the meat turns to a paste. I am going to try next week with the fist mince at 8 or 10 mm what ever die I can get my hands on. I will let everyone know how I get on.
The blade forms an essential part of the mechanism that forces the meat through the holes in the plate. If you leave the blade out you will get mush as the screw is trying to push the meat but it is getting stuck at the plate and not going through properly. But be very careful because it is possible to put your finger through a 16mm hole and you don't want to do that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS