Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sausage making  (Read 4761 times)

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
sausage making
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:31:29 pm »
Once our pigs go to the abattoir I hope to make some sausages. I was going to do a course but can't find one on a convenient date. Has anyone any recommendations for courses around the Herefordshire/Shropshire/Powys area and if I end up trying it by trial and error (or via you-tube video if such a thing exists) what equipment do others use?

Thanks for any help

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: sausage making
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:31:53 pm »
Chris is our sausage maker. She did not do a course but did do a trial run and bought some cubed pork and minced it and second minced it with ingredients that she bought from Weschenfelders.
There is nothing like a hand on experience so maybe invest in some shop bought meat , husk and spices before you tackle your own pork.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:35:44 am »
I taught myself to tie sausages using a YouTube video  ;)
Get your butcher to mince it all for you (80% meat and 20% fat) mix in your rusk (10% and needed to stop them drying out) add some ice cold water and flavourings, fry & taste a bit before stuffing so you can adjust seasoning.
Use a sausage stuffer to fill the skins and you're done!
Personally I don't think much of domestic mincers or combined mincers/stuffers, the commercial mincers are best so providing the butcher can do that for you all you'll need is the stuffer.
HTH

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:52:01 am »
Thanks for your helpful comments both of you. What sausage stuffer do you use?

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 01:38:35 pm »
I've got one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-5L-Commercial-Sausage-Stuffer-Meat-Making-Filler-Maker-Machine-/151299619479?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item233a28fa97
But you get vertical ones, electric ones and smaller ones too - I like eBay for most things  ;) but Weschenfeldar is good for equipment as well as seasonings, skins, etc.
HTH
Karen
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:22:13 pm by HappyHippy »

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:28 pm »
I taught myself to tie sausages using a YouTube video  ;)

Yep - me too.  There seems to be very little you can't learn via YouTube (some that you certainly don't want to!!!). I have taught myself sausage making and tying (there's a few absolutely amazing videos where the butchers hands fly so fast you can only see a blur), new knitting techniques, hand carding, drum carding, making fudge, braiding, removing ticks - all sorts!

I really don't think you need to go on a course for sausage making specifically - perhaps if it were part of a butchery course, or curing and salami making, but it is actually quite straightforward and once you buy your sausage stuffer you will never look back!   Good luck!

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 01:35:20 pm »
Thanks for all your help. I found a good video clip on Weschenfelders' site and from your comments I now have a clearer idea of what equipment I want.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 03:50:53 pm »
If you are still looking at going on a course you could contact Alison at Homefarm overton (in wrexham but not far from shropshire border) http://homefarmoverton.co.uk/ she's flexible with dates and will tailor it exactly to what you want to do.

Personally we use a kenwood like this one  to mince and stuff http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LZUEPS?ie=UTF8&tag=meatmincer-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B002LZUEPS and it does the job just fine. (although it seems to have increased in price since we bought ours.)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 03:52:32 pm »
Hi
I have found a course in Gloucester. Email office@buttsfarmrarebreeds.co.uk
or contact Fiona smith on 01285 869414. Courses cost 85 pounds each and include sausage making.
Also there is someone else who does sausage making and butchery courses.
WWW.parsonage-farm.co.uk or call Mike on 01264736208. Or contact info.smartercutsbutchers@gmail.com or call Alexander on 07825517930.  :)

the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 06:10:53 pm »
I met an English lady the other day who tells me that she asks for skins and cubed meat from our local French supermarket and uses her ken wood to make Cumberland and chilli sausages. She must know the supermarket well as she also got a sack odd mackerel for 1 cent !!!!!
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS