Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you boost the 10% protein of poultry grain to 18% ish?  (Read 18027 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
How do you boost the 10% protein of poultry grain to 18% ish?
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:24:23 pm »
For a number of reasons I'm thinking about changing to a whole grain diet for my chooks. But all I've read says that layers need an 18% protein diet, which indeed is the content of layers' pellets. But poultry grain is only 10% protein. It even says on the bag it is a complementary feed. Others must also be feeding whole diets so what do you add? Peas? Soya? Lentils? I'd be interested to hear TASers views and/or of their experiences if you've experimented.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: How do you boost the 10% protein of poultry grain to 18% ish?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:46:21 pm »
Good question - I have been wondering about the same thing.
I'm always trying to avoid processed food and thinking this should be possible (and good) for my animals too.

I recently stumbled over this interesting link about feeding chickens:
http://greenmeadowpoultry.co.uk/feeding.html (see 'feeding straights' section).
Haven't tired that yet myself, but makes a lot of sense to me. I just ordered the book she refers to, will read that with great interest!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:59:14 pm »
I have always fed an all grain diet, as I like to know what my birds are eating and you don't know whats in pellets, besides which millions of chicken all over the world have never seen a pellet and they do alright.

The birds do very well on it, BUT need free range to make up the difference in protien. I have about 300 birds here including chicks and growers.

Chicks start off on chick crumbs and as soon as the can handle grain they go onto it. I use Wheat, cut maize and rolled Barley with Cider vinegar and cod liver oil.

If you only have a few birds it's easy to make up the shortfall on protien using ether vegitable or animal protien.

Just read the labels and see what there is in it., beware of salt content.

Dried milk powder is very good (animal)  Spinach and other greens including peas and beans also can be used.

Fresh grass and greens contain a high protien.

You will see a drop in egg numbers, especially at this time of year, but your birds will be healthier for it.

More on feeding on my web page.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:00:46 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:17:22 pm »
The birds do very well on it, BUT need free range to make up the difference in protien.
Fresh grass and greens contain a high protien.

Not being funny but is 10sqm per bird free range? We have three paddocks of 400 sq m each and the 40 hens move in the first of the month  to fresh grass, so each paddock is rested for 2 months before birds go back on. The grass is good with lots of clover. We're also planting comfrey between the trees.

Do you think this might support a grain only diet?

I ask 'cos they aren't really free free range - they are in pens.

The scratchers are free free range. Should I feed mixed corn ad lib?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:23:49 pm »
hmm interested in this as although we only keep a few the idea of just using mixed grain appeals, the pellets never seem as popular with the birds and the grain is a fair bit cheaper...

if feeding adlib how do you add things like cod liver oil?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:26:49 pm »
free range should not be a problem. Worms and such are made of protein  ;) . How does porridge sound to you, cooked with half milk/water? It's my cure all food and they just love it  :chook: :&>

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:32:49 pm »
plenty of beetles should do it. if they are restricted space wise they you will have to provide something. a piece of dried bread is very handy for absorbing liquids such as CLO. cooked egg whites maybe?

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:49:06 am »
well I'm on the same thing i mix turkey crumbs up with the grain .The turkey starter is 16/ per cent or more i also give dog food big tin £1 if they are molting or its very cold they all seem fine

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 03:07:54 pm »
I've heard of people hanging up dead rabbits or roadkill in summer and letting the ensuing maggots fall out for the birds to eat as a free source of added protein. 

I think peas and beans might be less contoversial though...

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 03:18:20 pm »
Ours free range they have a 25kg pellet feeder, a 10kg barley feeder outside and we have just started giving them a mix of barley and sunflower mix of sprouted seeds they go mad for it, we have planted some kholi rabi and kale for over the winter we also dry any fish remains and grind them, we live 3 minutes from the sea with an oyster bed their as big as your hand (my hand) huge.
So fish & shell fish are free

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:31 pm »
well I'm on the same thing i mix turkey crumbs up with the grain .The turkey starter is 16/ per cent or more i also give dog food big tin £1 if they are molting or its very cold they all seem fine

just curious what dog food you use. is there much meat in a tin these days? i have heard horror stories about the dog food business.  :o

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 08:48:19 pm »
Thank you all for the links, info and encouragement. Our 8 girls spend summer in an area 20m x 30m which is half mowed and half rough. In winter the have a couple of acres of lawn, shrubbery and woodland. So it sounds as though they could survive on 'straight' grains plus their own foraging. I know they like the porridge pan on winter mornings.

I have just looked at our (human) wholefood wholesalers catalogue and they supply 25kg split peas at £28. I guess they'd need to be soaked or boiled.

Rosemary the fact that you rotate your flocks' range probably means that they have a better diet than many free rangers.

In winter ours spend 99% of their day in the wood......where the compost is located.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:11 pm »

I have just looked at our (human) wholefood wholesalers catalogue and they supply 25kg split peas at £28. I guess they'd need to be soaked or boiled.

try peas at the farm supplies shop.
we had fed them uncooked to livestock (admittedly not poultry). you just need them bite size. we have a mill  thats very handy.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:38:06 pm »
mixed corn contains lentils and split peas :&>

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 10:08:56 pm »
Some poultry mixes may include peas/legumes, but not the two whose info I've got to hand.

Fancy Feed Poultry Mixed Corn wheat, cut maize, soya oil
Wilson's Scottish Poultry Mix wheat, barley, kibbled maize, oats

I'm hoping to find a source of rolled peas.

Thank you all. Will let you know how it goes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS