Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs/ black mass?  (Read 5948 times)

Floopy

• Joined Sep 2013
Re: Hatching eggs/ black mass?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »
Totally is!! I'm surprised my head hasn't exploded yet...

C

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:05 pm »
Cute - looks a nice big chick.  :thumbsup:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 01:30:15 pm »
Congratulations!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 11:51:06 pm »
Looks enormous & glad he made it out on his own! Fingers crossed for the other little one!

H

Floopy

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 08:16:17 am »
Thanks All! It is pretty chunky, I can't believe it actually came out of that tiny shell...

Not sure about the other one, though, it doesn't seem to be budging (day 22 nearing its end now...) Anybody got any advice on how long to wait before I give up? And what to do about my lonely chick?

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 09:31:54 am »
I gave ours a soft toy chicken teddy to hide under and called it Dummy mummy. I threaded some string through the head with a bodkin and hung it up in a corner close enough to the heat source to be cosy but not too hot. I visited it regularly, made mother hen noises to it and encouraged it to eat by pecking the food with my finger.
 If you can find someone with a recent hatch you could get it some pals to keep it company maybe? Some people do the dummy hen thing with a mop head but any oddlings I've ever had seemed to find it scary ....still worth a try though.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Floopy

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 03:26:39 pm »
I gave this one a massive pompom I had lying about, but it just uses it to stand on whilst shouting at me for entertainment...  ::) Might be able to get another chick soon, just waiting to hear back!

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 09:37:14 am »
Haha, sounds about right, you will be it's preferred mummy I'm afraid. It's so endearing when you pop in a hand and it climbs into your curled fingers for a snuggle. Our hand reared singletons are still tame and come running for a pick-up when they see my hubby. I raised them, but he is king of the poultry, they follow him everywhere  :roflanim:
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS