Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Self-install of Wood Burning Stove  (Read 51210 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Self-install of Wood Burning Stove
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2013, 11:55:44 am »
Lovely, not sure if it was the same person who was on another TV programme about ways to make money, they ended up living in a sort of shed and let out their home for holiday rentle then the man  made stoves out of gas bottles that were lovely, they sorted their money problems out, I would love to make something as good....wonderful thanks! :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2013, 02:18:54 pm »
I'll stick with the meter - can't humph string bags of logs about any more, and I certainnly couldn't make anything out of an old gas bottle for fear it would explode while I was working on it  ;D

I watched Kirsty Allsop last night =- they got an old log stove from a fireplace shop for nothing.  Looked prerty good too.

Sandy, you can boil a kettle on any flat topped wood/multi fuel stove.  I did on mine last winter when we had a power cut - actually cooked a whole meal on it.  Did the same with the one in the house I built too.  One of the reasons for putting them in to be honest - in case of power cuts you can survive as long as you have something to burn.  I'd never install one of the sloping topped ones, or those with very little top surface.

Something to bear in mind with yours David.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2013, 02:27:17 pm »
Yes, that's a very good point Annie.

The one we're going to install won't run properly without electricity to pump the water around unfortunately (it will dump the heat safely, but not in the places we want it!). However, we'll still have the existing wood burner in the other fireplace which has a flat top for cooking on or boiling the kettle. When we lost power during the winter a couple of years ago, we just moved into that room and cooked and snuggled by the stove. I was gutted when they finally restored the power!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »
we just moved into that room and cooked and snuggled by the stove. I was gutted when they finally restored the power!  ;D
A few candles too and it can be very romantic - back to the 'good old days' :excited: :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2013, 02:58:22 pm »
A few houses we have looked at have nice log burners but for now we keep with the open fires that we can burn most stuff on...in a shed we would go for a stove type too.......
.I love that Kristy Alsop programme but often the cost of doing them up is more than a new one, we looked around at shops and asked a few questions...Ideally I would love a little cottage with a log burner and maybe one that could heat water and of course solar panels and then we would not need CH...I had a terraced house before that did not have CH but heaters in the bedrooms and I loved that.....I want very few things to maintain and take my money :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS